SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 3115 Posts

·
6,397 Posts
Blend - The site is a supermarket fronting onto Sturt St with a carpark behind backing onto Walker St and across Walker is the Commonwealth Centre and Council chambers. They do still use the carpark.

A lot of people wont be happy about the loss of more CBD parking - current or proposed developments Urban Quarter, PJ Group Tower, Woolworths Shopping Centre are all on carparks. Many think that the reason for the stagnation of retail in the CBD is due to lack of parking, well actually lack of FREE parking - TCC has a park & ride project planned to address the problem. But besides that there is not as much variety (eg no department stores) in Flinders Mall as in the major suburban shopping centres. Vacancy rate in Flinders Mall is very high - TCC are also planning to rip up Flinders Mall and reintroduce traffic which I think would be a disaster - it isn't going to solve any problems thats for sure. Woolworths recently pulled out of Flinders Mall and is building a new supermarket with several specialty stores at cnr of Sturt/Stokes/Walker. Coles is building a store + few specialty stores at Urban Quarter. It's a shame to see them not investing in Flinders Mall - unless someone does its future doesn't look good - ever since David Jones moved out in 1993 its gone downhill. There are occasional efforts to lure Myer to the city but probably wont happen.

So residential in the city is booming but retail is not good at all.

·
6,397 Posts
Building with the grid type windows would have to be the Commonwealth Centre. Not sure what you mean about the carparks - as soon of TCC's aerial photo viewer is working again I'll post a map of the site.

·
6,397 Posts

Got you now Blend - Hedleys twin towers will go on the 'carpark within complex' and the area of the 'old shopping centre' immediately in front (ie south-east). The north eastern half of the 'old shopping centre' has been offices (Walker House, ANZ Bank, NQ Water I think) for quite some time and I don't think they will be part of Hedley's towers. The big open carpark is being developed separately - thats the new Woolworth Shopping Centre I talked about above - its due to start construction soon.

·
6,397 Posts
A 200m wind turbine on The Strand??

I was listening to the local ABC Radio this morning when Deputy Mayor Ann Bunnell was being interviewed - she mentioned that the council was going to erect a 200 metre high wind turbine on The Strand. The presenter stopped her and said, "200 METRES? You mean 2 metres" but she confirmed that indeed it would be 200m high. It's purpose would be mainly for public education about renewable energy but it would be operational.

I can't believe this - has to be a joke of some sort. There was a story in the media last December about a 8.4m wind turbine but certainly not a 200m turbine. Bunnell also said that it would be erected by the end of the month so I suppose time will tell.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,824 Posts
I hate wind turbines but I have to say the square variant is much more acceptable... if it were to continue like that all the way to the ground it would look quite fetching. Like a 200m moving rectanular skyscraper. I just hope this place they want to build it is not in view of the city... it will detract from it for sure. I personally wish wind power generation was outlawed until it was a little more aethetically appealing.

·
6,397 Posts
I just hope this place they want to build it is not in view of the city... it will detract from it for sure. I personally wish wind power generation was outlawed until it was a little more aethetically appealing.
That's the thing- its being built on the Strand, which is Townsville's seaside strip right in the middle of the city

·
6,397 Posts
I've been trying to calculate the total number of apartments built/prop/app/uc in Townsville in the last few years. I was suprised by the result.

These are projects from city & inner suburbs with >15 apartments

Name/Status/No. of Storeys/No. of Apartments/Suburb
"Sturt St Towers"/P/18/142/City
Urban Quarter/UC/9/124/City
"PJ Group Tower"/P /12/104/South Townsville
Metro Quays/B/aprox12/92/City
High Point/B/7/92/City
Yarrawonga Village/A/3/90/North Ward
Nautica/P/aprox8/61/South Townsville
Clock Tower Apartments/P/6/59/City
"Crown Hotel Redev"/P/9/56/South Townsville
Mint/UC/9/55/City
Sanctuary on Flinders/UC/6/55/City
Yarrawonga Terraces/UC/aprox3/52/Belgian Gardens
Watermark/A/4/46/North Ward
Riviera/B/ 7/39/South Townsville
Melton Crest/B/aprox3/30/City
No. 1 The Strand/B/3/26/City
Portsea/UC/aprox4/18/City

SUM = 1161 apartments

When you add on these as possibilities(visions):
QR North Yards/V/?/400/City
Strand Central/V/?/240/North Ward

SUM = 1801 apartments

If you add smaller developments there would be well over 2000 apartments built or planned in Townsville in last aprox 5 years.

·
6,397 Posts
A few bits of news

Watermark should start in August - 4 storey/46 apartments on the Strand - that's the edge of Aquarius on the right.
Sorry about Jarrod McCraken's noggin in the corner - he's the developer - used to play rugby league remember.

Also demolition work has begun for Mint
A large crane has moved onto Sanctuary on Flinders site where foundations are being layed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,

By the way - this is great forum.. are there any other like this for Australia?

Incidentaly, has anyone got more info about GHD and the YMCA site? I still am curious to find out what they are planning there.
GHD have 2 major projects now -
146-160 Denham St (North Queensland club)
Cnr Plume St & Anthony St (the motor boat and yacht club)

Also, does anyone know about "The joint venture partners (George Chapman and Townsville unit developer Honeycombes) $160million Harbour Lights development that will comprise 101 residential units and 92 hotel apartments and is expected to create new price benchmarks for the city" thats happening in Cairns?

http://afr.com/property/index.html

arrggghhh... so many questions :bash:

·
6,397 Posts
Sharma - I've emailed GPD about the YMCA site tower, asking for name, height or renders but I think the Bulletin would have published them if they were available - you never know though.

·
6,397 Posts
Well the wind turbine on the Strand is up - height 8.4m
I don't know what Ann Bunnell was on when she thought it was 200m.

21 - 40 of 3115 Posts