SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 3116 Posts

·
6,399 Posts
Blend - I havn't got a camera so not unless one pops up on the internet. I'd buy a cam today if my computer had USB!

Sharma - GPD never replied to my email. Still nothing on their website about YWCA site tower.

·
6,399 Posts
Things have been a bit quite in Townsville of late but today there is a bit in the Townsville Bulletin's Butts on Monday column (often a good source of development news) about a 20 storey residential tower planned for the inner city, on the old Wintergarden site. The Wintergarden is well before my time so I don't know it's exact location. The development application has not yet been submitted.

That brings to 5 the number of skyscrapers proposed for Townsville. Still waiting for anything to actually happen though!

GPD Tower - 22/23 storeys
Sturt St Towers - an 18 & a 16 storey towers
PJ Group Tower - 12 storeys
Wintergarden Tower - 20 storeys

In other news a 9 storey apartment building is now UC on corner of King & The Strand beside 10s Harbour City

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
What is that 'Riverlink' Project I have been hearing about? Isn't it for Thuringowa.

I know its a big project but it has some contraversy.

jt

·
6,399 Posts
JayT said:
What is that 'Riverlink' Project I have been hearing about? Isn't it for Thuringowa.

I know its a big project but it has some contraversy.

jt
You must be thinking of

Due to begin in September, Stage 1 will involve redevelopment of Pioneer Park to include two swimming lagoons, art gallery, ampitheatre, cafes, restuarants & parklands with future plans for test cricket ground and low rise residential. There's also to be development of parkway right out to Ross Dam.

Here's a link to be picture of
Pioneer Park Plans
you can expand by clicking the bottom right corner (icon should pop up)

As for controversy, well a group has been formed called CAPPD (Commitee Against Pioneer Park Destruction) who would rather see it remain as a parched expanse of desolate wasteland :) then a top class recreation facility bacause 10% of the land will be taken up by residential apartments.

Also the successful tenderer has withdrawn, meaning tenders have to be recalled, putting the project back a couple of months.

Just recently the school next door has been complaining because the resi buildings will mean adults can't see the children as they ride into school or something.

But it's a very exciting project and it should start be Sept going to plan.

By the way it is in Thuringowa City but that is part of Townsville.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Oriolus said:
You must be thinking of

Due to begin in September, Stage 1 will involve redevelopment of Pioneer Park to include two swimming lagoons, art gallery, ampitheatre, cafes, restuarants & parklands with future plans for test cricket ground and low rise residential. There's also to be development of parkway right out to Ross Dam.

Here's a link to be picture of
Pioneer Park Plans
you can expand by clicking the bottom right corner (icon should pop up)

As for controversy, well a group has been formed called CAPPD (Commitee Against Pioneer Park Destruction) who would rather see it remain as a parched expanse of desolate wasteland :) then a top class recreation facility bacause 10% of the land will be taken up by residential apartments.

Also the successful tenderer has withdrawn, meaning tenders have to be recalled, putting the project back a couple of months.

Just recently the school next door has been complaining because the resi buildings will mean adults can't see the children as they ride into school or something.

But it's a very exciting project and it should start be Sept going to plan.

By the way it is in Thuringowa City but that is part of Townsville.
IN the couriermail they said the cricket field would seat 10,000 - which is pretty good for a regional center.

jt

·
6,399 Posts
Yeh. It will be interesting to see how they manage the winter test matches when Townsville's ground is built - then Cairns, Darwin & Townsville will be vieing for 2 matches each year.

·
6,399 Posts
Here's a pic of another new project announced today. From the Thomson Property Group. Its 9/10 storeys with 32 apartments and will go on Palmer St, South Townsville, next to the transit centre. Original plans for a 5 star hotel on this site have been scrapped.

Article

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
^^^
Seems like a nice project.

Riverway also looks great. I really don't get groups like CAPPD Though I don't know the full history with this project, similar groups that I've seen in Brisbane seem happier with a bleak and grim paddock that is often unusable to the public to an open area with excelent facilities simply because of a building or two. Anyway, I hope it goes ahead.

·
Hmm.....yes indeed
167 Posts
FYI :
The old Wintergarden site is the vacant block of land adjacent to the Tsv CBD Police Station (the land is currently being used as a temporary carpark for the Central City Motel opposite). It's called the Wintergarden site because it used to be the Wintergarden Theatre, which burned down sometime around the late 80's/early 90's. About time something happened there, as it's been a boring sight for over a decade.

·
6,399 Posts
Thanks mrlaxative, welcome to the forums. I know the site now - definately bit of an eyesore. My parents & grandparents are always telling stories about the Wintergarden. A 20 storey tower will definately look good there.

·
Hmm.....yes indeed
167 Posts
Not quite high-rise related, but interesting news for Townsville property nonetheless.

In today's Townsville Bulletin (Friday 6th), Thomson Property Group and Ibis Hotels are constructing a 4-star, 108-room, 6-storey hotel on Palmer Street in the block of land bounded by Quest Apartments and Allwell Marine. Construction is due to start in January.

And also, Meridien launched the One Bright Point Apartments in Nelly Bay tonight. The project is 124 apartments in various buildings up to 5 storeys. Not that tall, but the location they are being built means they will certainly get plenty of exposure - they are on the cliff face (Bright Point) directly adjacent to the new Nelly Bay harbour and terminal. Kate Cerbrano is singing tonight for all invited at the launch.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
What I'd like to see is a 30 story Complex (Mainly mixed use) go up in town, Probably on Sturt Street on the Vacant lot near Zurich House just a bit behind perc tucker gallery there, and uh Oriolus, did you say something about the PJ Group 12 story development at Palmer Street, That has been approved. Same time as the 9 story one next to Harbour City (Portofino).

·
6,399 Posts
Thanks Gertzy. I walked past Portofino site a couple of days ago - it looks awesome, nice glass spiral thing happening round the top. I can't find any pictures on the net yet though. I missed that news about PJ Group tower being approved. Hopefully things start to happen soon - it will be the first skyscraper (12+ storeys) for Townsville since 1990 - a long time! I keep waiting for development applications to appear in front of the other planned skyscraper sites.

I don't think theirs any vacant land behind Perc Tucker is there? My fantasy is for a 32 storey glass tower to go on top of the new shopping centre at cnr of Sturt & Walker.

·
6,399 Posts
I think I know the block you mean now Gertzy. Here's an aerial. It's only 20.2m by 50.3m = 1016sqm. Probably too small for a higrise unless they combine it with another block. But those little gravel carparks that are dotted around the CBD look crap so yeh someone should do something with it. That's why I'm so happy about the planned redevelopment of the old Wintergarden site.

·
6,399 Posts
Actually I make take back my assertion that that carpark is too small for highrise, becuase the Portofino site I calculated to be only about 816m2! It's 16.5m by 49.5m.

41 - 60 of 3116 Posts