SkyscraperCity banner

1541 - 1560 of 1586 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Next they just need a credible rail service to support the developments.
As part of this they should start removing rail crossings and put in bridges/tunnels. This allows for more frequent services (potentially) and mitigates traffic issues associated with railway crossings. They should start with the two crossings near Coorparoo station, which also should have a TOD on the train line.

And definitely remove that god awful junkyard at 60 Cavendish that backs onto the railway.

·
23,969 Posts
To be honest, I think they would be best just rebuilding the line on a much better alignment.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Is it late to the party from a population perspective?

What population was Sydney and Melbourne when they started developing TOD's en mass? I actually thought that Brisbane is doing quite well when compared to Sydney and Melbourne at 2.4 million people.
Densification and sustainable living isn't or shouldn't be defined by the population catchment. Rather it should be determined by education, policy, regulation and planning which facilitate higher density living and make it a more attractive and sustainable alternative. This is where Brisbane has been late to the party, through government planning, regulation and investment in supporting infrastructure which lagged Sydney.

·
23,969 Posts
It shouldn't be, but it is, and that's my point.

People ask the question, "Why should I get an apartment 10km from the centre, when I can get a large house and land combination 8km out for not much more?"

It's a legitimate question. Even saying 18km, many people in Australia would prefer the backyard at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
So the argument is people would prefer a suburban house because the size of the property is greater the the perceived benefits of the accessibility of a TOD ad the local ammenities provided

Still the answer remains the same:

This is where Brisbane has been late to the party, through government planning, regulation and investment in supporting infrastructure which lagged Sydney.
lack of investment in the quality and frequency of PT, under-investment in inner city education, child care and parkland sporting facilities. Regulation and planning which not only encourages urban sprawl but limits higher density zoning along PT corridors(although this has changed the last 5-10 years). Population is a factor, but its not the determining factor.

·
23,969 Posts
But population is a factor. The more people, the more passengers on rail, the greater the opportunity for more rail and/or frequency.

·
23,969 Posts
I'd love to know how much cheaper you would charge after infrasture costs and decent wages have been paid for.

To be honest, I don't know how they survive.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Seen their prices?
Yeah our children went through them (our youngest is 7, we paid $75/day). The prices were quite reasonable I thought compared to others we'd seen around Brisbane and Syd/Mel prices. Didn't seem to be an inner city tax.

I'm not sure how they could have much margin when we can walk to six of them, with a seventh planned around the corner. A 5 minute drive opens up a bunch more as options. Though all the primary schools here in the inner west have been booming over the last decade so there are plenty of new children around I guess.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd love to know how much cheaper you would charge after infrasture costs and decent wages have been paid for.

To be honest, I don't know how they survive.
Not here to argue, my comment was meant to be a light-hearted jab at the cost of childcare. My apologies that I offended you.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ferny Grove Central (Ferny Grove TOD) #A005002931

Architect: Place Design Group

Car parking
There are currently 973 commuter car parks on the subject site, and as part of the development, it is proposed to be increased to 1,732. This results in an additional 759 car parking spaces for commuters, plus 469 spaces for the proposed retail and residential components.

Variety of uses
Including shops, office, food and drink outlets, child care centre, medical services, gym, cinema and residential units. Potential tenants include Woolworths, Dan Murphy’s and Majestic Cinemas.

Building Height
By definition, the proposed development consists of three (3) buildings which vary from three (3) to six (6) storeys in height; however, visually, the buildings appear from the street as three (3) to five (4) storeys.

Floor area / Residential units
Approximately 13,600m2 of retail floor space, 64 residential units ranging from one (1) bedroom to three (3) bedrooms, and approximately 140m2 of retail on the ground floor of the residential building.

Connectivity
Creating a pedestrian friendly environment through improved pedestrian pathways and connections. The development provides a seamless transition from the Ferny Grove Station and Bus Interchange to the Retail and Residential precincts.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ferny Grove Central (Ferny Grove TOD) #A005002931

Architect: Place Design Group

Car parking
There are currently 973 commuter car parks on the subject site, and as part of the development, it is proposed to be increased to 1,732. This results in an additional 759 car parking spaces for commuters, plus 469 spaces for the proposed retail and residential components.

Variety of uses
Including shops, office, food and drink outlets, child care centre, medical services, gym, cinema and residential units. Potential tenants include Woolworths, Dan Murphy’s and Majestic Cinemas.

Building Height
By definition, the proposed development consists of three (3) buildings which vary from three (3) to six (6) storeys in height; however, visually, the buildings appear from the street as three (3) to five (4) storeys.

Floor area / Residential units
Approximately 13,600m2 of retail floor space, 64 residential units ranging from one (1) bedroom to three (3) bedrooms, and approximately 140m2 of retail on the ground floor of the residential building.

Connectivity
Creating a pedestrian friendly environment through improved pedestrian pathways and connections. The development provides a seamless transition from the Ferny Grove Station and Bus Interchange to the Retail and Residential precincts.
but again another TOD that doesnt actually build over the train station!

also I wouldnt be happy if i was one of those homeowners who will possibly have to live with a multistorey carpark on their back fence

·
Optimist
7,318 Posts
but again another TOD that doesnt actually build over the train station!

also I wouldnt be happy if i was one of those homeowners who will possibly have to live with a multistorey carpark on their back fence
The costs probably just don't add up yet. I'm sure in the future it will make more sense for developers to do this. There is enough room at this station for a future development over the station anyway.

It is great to see TOD's of any sort becoming more common around Brisbane though. This one has a great amount of retail included as well.

The car park is only two stories and will have new fences built around it along with trees. Could be an improvement over the existing even.

·
Insert text here:
1,228 Posts
What list of suburbs around Brissy are seeing some nice low rise development structured around core facilities? I've noticed Chermside and Nundah have densified. Any possibility they could be developed to taller heights(with commercial) that's not the CBD aka Possible long term future satellite CBD?

1541 - 1560 of 1586 Posts