Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
The question is how reliable is the transit coalition?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think this map is mostly correct (but for instance leaves out the Orange Line.) Los Angeles's public transit system for some time, especially the area south of the Santa Monica and Hollywood mountains, has been pretty rapid, with one not really needing to bring a bus schedule with them.

·
city driver
469 Posts
I technically live in the yellow area (right off sunset in Echo Park), and there is definitely heavy usage of public transit here.. but it's all local (orange) buses. I take them often to go downtown, but it takes too long and getting to union station is tricky. All this is enough that my less-transit-minded friends who live in the same area are unwilling to take public transportation.

Now if there was a rapid line along sunset that had only a few stops (vermont/hollywood, Sunset Junction, Silver lake blvd., Echo Park blvd, Dodger Stadium (with a tram up to the stadium), Union Station) I know that those people would be way more interested in taking it.

local service is frequent in my area, but I wish there were more options. Mostly, I wish there was a line that went to staples, and I wish there was a rapid line to Wilshire because the local just takes way too long...

This is just my little neck of the woods and I'm sure everyone has similar wishes, but the reason I bring it up is because I'd love to see a map of those areas that do have the kind of transit comprehensiveness I'm looking for... but now that I think of it I guess all I'd have to do is take a look at the rapid system map.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Yes "dweeb" rapid is coming to Santa Monica Blvd and I could only guess that it would include Sunset Blvd to downtown. But what about the 304? Doesn't take a long time and it is a limited bus to downtown, from where I'm at in Silver Lake it only takes about 20 minutes to downtown so you being in Echo Park should not take more than 10-15.

·
city driver
469 Posts
the 4/304 and 2/302 don't go to Union Station until they're done going around all the way down to Venice and Back on Hill/broadway, meaning you have to walk from Grand on Cesar Chavez.

How hard is it to have one of the buses go straight into Union Station?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 4/304 and 2/302 don't go to Union Station until they're done going around all the way down to Venice and Back on Hill/broadway, meaning you have to walk from Grand on Cesar Chavez.

How hard is it to have one of the buses go straight into Union Station?
Not hard at all, once you identify which bus lines to cut to do this...Of course that opens a new can of worms.

Most bus trips go downtown, as in the CBD and such. If you want to go from Santa Monica or Sunset boulevard to Union Station, take the Red Line.

·
city driver
469 Posts
I live in echo park. That would be silly.

The 304 goes back along cesar chavez from Union Station (skipping the CBD). Why not have the 302 go forward along cesar chavez (skipping the CBD)?

I mean, I can walk the four blocks or whatever it is. It just would seem so much more "official" if I could take a bus directly to LA's largest transit hub...

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in echo park. That would be silly.

The 304 goes back along cesar chavez from Union Station (skipping the CBD). Why not have the 302 go forward along cesar chavez (skipping the CBD)?

I mean, I can walk the four blocks or whatever it is. It just would seem so much more "official" if I could take a bus directly to LA's largest transit hub...
Is there still a Line 3? Maybe that can run from Union Station to Sunset.

We don't have a Line 1 anymore. Maybe that should be reinstated in the future as a Union Station - West Hollywood bus via Chavez/Sunset - Hollywood - La Brea - Sunset (Strip) - La Cienega - Santa Monica.

The reality is, the budget is tight and the needs of the majority of bus riders far outweigh yours.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey.. i just checked the website and it looks like 304 does skip the CBD..

Well, that solves it. haha.
I guess that means the 704 will run the same route.
I haven't used the 304 east of Vermont in over a decade. Look forward to the 704 getting me and my bike to the beach this summer!

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Huh? The 304 goes directly into Union Station and the 4 winds its way throughout downtown. http://www.mta.net/images/1004-304.pdf

And this is one of the major reasons why LA transit has a bad rep cause mofo's can't read a goddam schedule.

·
city driver
469 Posts
Huh? The 304 goes directly into Union Station and the 4 winds its way throughout downtown. http://www.mta.net/images/1004-304.pdf

And this is one of the major reasons why LA transit has a bad rep cause mofo's can't read a goddam schedule.
Yeah. I figured this out already. Post #10. Mofo yoself.

But yeah, I do feel like an idiot that all this time i hadn't known that because I always go by the 12-minute map (don't mess with timetables) and on that map it's super confusing as to where the 304 goes. I knew it ended at Union station but I always thought it went all through downtown also.. I guess I never figured this out because 2s and 4s are more frequent.

But now that the 304 is going to be the 704 and look completely different and have one of those nice big rapid bus signs saying "UNION STATION" I don't think I'll be able to make this mistake again...

·
city driver
469 Posts
Also, yes this is one of the reasons LA transit gets a bad rap..
I've been meaning to make a map that just has the rail lines, the rapid lines, and select frequent locals and limiteds that draws them all in different colors, as if it was a london tube map. You'd need a lot of different colors, but it would be simple enough that the average (non-transit-dependent) person/tourist would find it easy to use.

I think the 12-minute map almost does this, but it has too many local routes that would not interest a tourist. Basically, I want a map that I can hand to my friends when they visit and they would feel comfortable getting around. I gave a recent visitor the 12-minute map and they were like "yeah... I think I'm going to rent a car."

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
"mofo":lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts