SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 2054 Posts

·
Urban Athiest
2,035 Posts
My God...Melbourne is going off! I didn't realise there were so many 100+ apartment buildings going up. Southbank will have to be one of the densest population centres in the country after all of this!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Mate from Sth Yarra real estate firm told me that there will be some kind of underground tunnel linking vogue and the fun factory site.....

·
Registered
71,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Melbun-MoveWestBuildHigh
83 Posts
Yeah no offense Goran, but that part of Melbourne isn't exactly its hottest skyscraper area...Its called the gap, as in, there's hardly any highrise between the Paris end and the commonwealth bank building. You prob. know that already, just making a point. Anyway, as the pic shows, things are improving there, getting much denser than even 5 years ago :) Plus Melbourne's got heaps of room to grow and it'll keep sprouting new highrise over the coming decades, whereas sydney's narrow little CBD is pretty much filled in.
:cheers:

*cue Culwulla screaming as his computer about sydney harbour, then about Parramatta, North Sydney and other wastelands he calls skylines*
:lol:

·
Banned
4,694 Posts
Yeah no offense Goran, but that part of Melbourne isn't exactly its hottest skyscraper area...Its called the gap, as in, there's hardly any highrise between the Paris end and the commonwealth bank building. You prob. know that already, just making a point. Anyway, as the pic shows, things are improving there, getting much denser than even 5 years ago :) Plus Melbourne's got heaps of room to grow and it'll keep sprouting new highrise over the coming decades, whereas sydney's narrow little CBD is pretty much filled in.
:cheers:

*cue Culwulla screaming as his computer about sydney harbour, then about Parramatta, North Sydney and other wastelands he calls skylines*
:lol:
its not about skyscrapers ... look @ the size of the city there, the density, so much character. even in that one shot of melb theres more glass then in the pics cul posted afterwards.

sydneys cbd is just to thin. melbourne feels so much larger. just so beautiful. *wipes tear from eye*

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
As someone from Brisbane, who really doesn't like either Melbourne or Sydney, and therefore has no vested interest, I have to say that Sydney is easily the more attractive city. It's beautiful and incredibly interesting. Everywhere you look, there's something to see.

Argument over.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So, you don't really like Sydney, and yet it's 'beautiful and incredibly interesting' at the same time? What do you like in a city then? :p

·
can the can
1,145 Posts
So, you don't really like Sydney, and yet it's 'beautiful and incredibly interesting' at the same time? What do you like in a city then? :p
I think he means he dislikes Sydney and Melbourne in that existential, Brisbane way where it's possible to hate everything south of the Tweed and still think it's beautiful and interesting.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Why did I waste my breath...

Southerners suffer some kind of mental impairment, whereby a city has to be either perfect or mud on a stick. There is no middle road. Maybe Melbourne and Sydney have been desperately battling for supremacy for too long. It's good to know you have so much to occupy your time down there.

Anyway - carry on. I'll get back to my tropical paradise. Sorry to transgress your dingy world for a few moments.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts

Southerners suffer some kind of mental impairment, whereby a city has to be either perfect or mud on a stick. There is no middle road. Maybe Melbourne and Sydney have been desperately battling for supremacy for too long. It's good to know you have so much to occupy your time down there.

Anyway - carry on. I'll get back to my tropical paradise. Sorry to transgress your dingy world for a few moments.
Oh god...the 'Southerners' thing again...:eek:hno:

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts

Its like hitting your head against a wall sometimes, don't worry I know. Many people from down there are unable to think outside the square so to speak. If a city does not follow their model of a city exactly then its not a city or they cannot comprehend it. Not all are like that but many are. Many of them also follow what is known as "the general rule" whereby they base Population on everything, ie if something has a bigger population it must be busier, more traffic, louder, more creative, you get the picture. Basically everything goes back to population size and the general rule follows:eek:hno:

Thank god people are starting to think outside this "general rule" now but its a slow process.

Given Brisbane is probably the most different city in Australia its probably the hardest to comprehend for people south of the boarder.
j

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
You're really reading too much into JayT, let it go mate, let it go...it's really not that important to anyone else...only you.

Brisbane the most 'different' city in Australia? Now that's a new one. ha ha

21 - 40 of 2054 Posts