SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1243 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Demo almost finished on the Premier Tower site, 249m, opposite Southern Cross station, in Spencer Street. Despite the developer disavowing any connection with Ms. Beyonce, it's still the best known new tower in Melbourne for most people, simply because of the initial publicity.

photos upload[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
8,594 Posts
^^ I'm glad that site is finally being used. I took this picture in 2006, and I remember thinking then what a waste of a prime city location, opposite the train station. Did it stay like that for 10+ years? What was it before?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
^^ I'm glad that site is finally being used. I took this picture in 2006, and I remember thinking then what a waste of a prime city location, opposite the train station. Did it stay like that for 10+ years? What was it before?
That crappy tavern has been there so bloody long nobody would surely know. Only one of us ancient enough to remember - red? :)

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
The Tavern was to be a temporary thing...back in 1973...you can't rush these things..same goes for the CUB site at the top of Swanston St...

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Yep, Victoria One green glass is very nice indeed. Note it will be about 30m taller than Lighthouse across the road (quite significant).

Meanwhile nearby Swanston Central (237m) is kicking into gear, core pit being formed (courtesy redden) :

In three years time it will look like this:

I believe the very top floors will have the best southerly views over Melbourne.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,059 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Ànother purple one.Prince would be happy ;)
Elenberg Fraser architects love purple.

Many of their Melbourne towers have outright purple or have a purplish tinge:

- Light House (the most purple of them all)
- Swanston Central (half purple, half green)
- Eq. Tower (mauve)
- Aurora Melbourne Central (light lavender)
- Avant (dark pink)
- And now 51 Clarke Street (purple at the base)

Melbourne being an overcast city allows for more pure glass towers with slightly higher levels of reflectivity than northern sunnier cities.

I have a strong feeling the glass on Premier Tower will be the best of the lot, a nice strong blue/silver colour (at the max 20% reflection out rate):

P.S. The model is slightly over shiny, but you get the idea.

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,111 Posts

I believe the very top floors will have the best southerly views over Melbourne.
This one will be the Northern Ends Smokey !

Will look very imposing at 237m from the northern end :bowtie:

I love the exposed columns for the podium also !

·
Premium Member
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That render re-posted by lozza shows how prominent Swanston Central is going to be from the Shrine.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Could just be those last shots, but I'm a bit disappointed with lighthouse. I find it a bit underwhelming in reality. It seemed to have so much potential. While it's the other way around with Victoria One. I wasn't that impressed with the renders, but it seems like a good outcome.

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,111 Posts
Could just be those last shots, but I'm a bit disappointed with lighthouse. I find it a bit underwhelming in reality. It seemed to have so much potential. While it's the other way around with Victoria One. I wasn't that impressed with the renders, but it seems like a good outcome.

I love both of them. Lighthouse looks awesome from the Marketplace when you can seen electric purple on some of the glass along with the clear glass , due to the angles shooting out and jutting all over the place

very impressed with both of these towers !

·
Registered
72,369 Posts
^nice how tall?

CIRCULAR QUAY TOWER
none of us a sure what it is. the winner chosen today. hoping LL dont leave us in to much suspense.

1 - 20 of 1243 Posts