SkyscraperCity banner

1041 - 1060 of 1153 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,044
We have to thank JCooza for finding the best angle yet for Melbourne Square, in Southbank: credited to "OSK IG".

The summit of the west tower is being finished off nicely.

An explanation from zim^zum for why Uno is taking longer than expected to get going. We have seen a small drilling machine working there recently.

Been a delay on this one. Some footings found that were not known about.
That's the edge of the UNO site on the left, with Queens Place rising on the right.

Nice angle on 380 Melbourne, thanks to Malvern3144.

Rankins Lane

380 will also make an impact when viewed from Elizabeth Street North.

380 is just peeping over the Argus Tower.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
^^
The word sultry springs to mind.

Can't wait to see this and the other towers next time I step out of Southern Cross Station.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
^^ Putting a lie to the concept that Melbourne only does bland.

yeh but gee alot of melbournes new towers are really quite bland. i wouldnt be writting home about many of them.just glass slabs extruded above a carpark structure.they use the same architects
i think design comps are a good thing, brings the best out of the sites potential.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Proposals & Construction: 200m-249m skyscrapers

Looks like another 240m (or so) tower is on the cards, Melbourne Square east-tower via JCooza (left-most tower below):

The two oval ones are now well under construction (231m and 179m).

And the Hilton is about to start too although closer to 140m so I’ve heard. So all should be UC at the same time (by the end of the year). Fantastic looking complex!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
^^ Putting a lie to the concept that Melbourne only does bland.
yeh but gee alot of melbournes new towers are really quite bland. i wouldnt be writting home about many of them.just glass slabs extruded above a carpark structure.they use the same architects
i think design comps are a good thing, brings the best out of the sites potential.
But Greenland and the like are pure architectural gems...

Yes, every city has its share of bland boxes including Melb, but to discount the amazing designs like Sapphire, Collins Arch, Premier, A108 and 380 Lonsdale, the likes of which Oz has never seen before just loses Cul any of the credibility he earns with the good value info and diagrams he provides.

It's actually sad to have witnessed his fall from grace over the last decade from when I joined in 2009 and what he is today.

·
Here we go again
816 Posts
^^Not that you guys are particularly any better, with all that sensitivity when transport talks get brought up

Admit it, we're all a bit envious of the success witnessed in both (boom) towns across the border from each other.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Its the green eye'd monster that causes the split personality of Culwulla. Amazing contributor with the slightest little bit of jealousy.
You keep making this claim that you're not trying to fire up the age old Sydney v Melbourne rivalry yet in every post you slap up you claim that the folks in Sydney are so more mature and intelligent with their discussions on the subject than their southern counterparts so as to not upset and unleash the Green eyed monster that residues in those irrational southern hicks .
So I'm asking you if you could take screen shots of those Butt hurt Melburnians doing as you so frequently claim to be doing and then gleefully return to rub my face in it ...Please

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
^^Not that you guys are particularly any better, with all that sensitivity when transport talks get brought up

Admit it, we're all a bit envious of the success witnessed in both (boom) towns across the border from each other.
Jesus f***ing Christ is there a thread you won't hijack???

I never visit the individual NSW forums because tbh I don't care enough, but in these national project forums, the attitude from the Likes of You and Cul is nothing but sweeping generalisations and personal opinions trying to be passed off as fact.

Whereas VIC members are quite happy to give credit where credit is due (QQT, Crown, etc) Cul will blast through as if he is the barometer of architectural critique and make a statement like "Most of Melbournes proposals are nothing to write home about" despite the fact that of the 22 towers currently UC at least half are worthy of praise, yet he is incapable of that.

And then, of course, you follow behind (with the likes of L2, great company to be grouped with btw), liking comments and stoking a fire that isn't there, simply to get a rise out of people who would much rather be talking about the topic that the thread is actually about.

You're obviously jaded (for some reason) by the fact that most of Sydney's action at the moment is >100m and in order to keep your self pinned badge of "Australia Global City" - side note there can be more than one - you pop into random threads and try to discount any project or success that happens to come along.

At least Cul balances his posts with insider knowledge and facts, all you seem to do is come along and try to derail threads then claim it comes down to the city rivalry, do everyone a favour and just stop it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Jesus f***ing Christ is there a thread you won't hijack???

I never visit the individual NSW forums because tbh I don't care enough, but in these national project forums, the attitude from the Likes of You and Cul is nothing but sweeping generalisations and personal opinions trying to be passed off as fact.

Whereas VIC members are quite happy to give credit where credit is due (QQT, Crown, etc) Cul will blast through as if he is the barometer of architectural critique and make a statement like "Most of Melbournes proposals are nothing to write home about" despite the fact that of the 22 towers currently UC at least half are worthy of praise, yet he is incapable of that.

And then, of course, you follow behind (with the likes of L2, great company to be grouped with btw), liking comments and stoking a fire that isn't there, simply to get a rise out of people who would much rather be talking about the topic that the thread is actually about.

You're obviously jaded (for some reason) by the fact that most of Sydney's action at the moment is >100m and in order to keep your self pinned badge of "Australia Global City" - side note there can be more than one - you pop into random threads and try to discount any project or success that happens to come along.

At least Cul balances his posts with insider knowledge and facts, all you seem to do is come along and try to derail threads then claim it comes down to the city rivalry, do everyone a favour and just stop it.
Hypocrisy at its finest.

Talk about bloody Choo Choo trains all you want but not in the Melbourne boom thread thanks. We have PLENTY to talk about in there without his incessant whining about my train is better than your train. Yes do us a favour and just stay away from that thread. Blocked him anyway but have to read his whining and whinging when quoted.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Proposals & Construction: 200m-249m skyscrapers

Back on track... No pun intended!

Cannot get enough of this one...

380 Lonsdale in the reflection of the Novotel Melb Central

·
Registered
501 Posts
But Greenland and the like are pure architectural gems...

Yes, every city has its share of bland boxes including Melb, but to discount the amazing designs like Sapphire, Collins Arch, Premier, A108 and 380 Lonsdale, the likes of which Oz has never seen before just loses Cul any of the credibility he earns with the good value info and diagrams he provides.

It's actually sad to have witnessed his fall from grace over the last decade from when I joined in 2009 and what he is today.
In defense of Cul, he never says Greenland is pure architectural gem. Some Sydneysiders like it; others hate it and even outright loathes it. Just like anything in life.

And as a Sydneysider, I am jealous of the sheer number of skyscraper going up in Melbourne. We don't have a planning system in Sydney that allows us that. But in terms of skyscraper design, I am jealous of New York and other major international cities; not Melbourne.

And I am sure you guys are envious of transport system of Tokyo or Shanghai rather than of Sydney; I mean we all know it has got issues.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
In defense of Cul, he never says Greenland is pure architectural gem. Some Sydneysiders like it; others hate it and even outright loathes it. Just like anything in life.

And as a Sydneysider, I am jealous of the sheer number of skyscraper going up in Melbourne. We don't have a planning system in Sydney that allows us that. But in terms of skyscraper design, I am jealous of New York and other major international cities; not Melbourne.

And I am sure you guys are envious of transport system of Tokyo or Shanghai rather than of Sydney; I mean we all know it has got issues.
Whether stated directly or indirectly praised by not acknowledging its mediocrity the way he does with southerner projects is al the same to me.

Ditto with the double standards on everything from originality, density, design etc etc.

It's becoming a very stale and predictable read lately, and the mini-minions like Cement and L2 are just annoying now.

1041 - 1060 of 1153 Posts