SkyscraperCity banner

15641 - 15660 of 15850 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Sydney guys, Papps is just taking the piss. Don't overreact. We all are all seriously impressed with Crown Sydney and the redevelopment of 50 Bridge (although not with Greenland and not particularly enamoured with Barangaroo Towers 1-3).

I'm still up for taking you all for coffee when I'm next up your way and can fit it in.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sorry ^ but that Ritz is ordinary just like 75% of everything else being thrown up down there.. Melbourne is just not getting the quality designs we get up here with the stringent planning process requiring design excellence with 5-6 top architectural firms bidding on each project. Of course the outcome is better designs.

And please don't bring up Greenland.

The truth hurts I know so please don't attack me.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sorry ^ but that Ritz is ordinary just like 75% of everything else being thrown up down there.. Melbourne is just not getting the quality designs we get up here with the stringent planning process requiring design excellence with 5-6 top architectural firms bidding on each project. Of course the outcome is better designs.

And please don't bring up Greenland.

The truth hurts I know so please don't attack me.
Here we go again.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Proposals & Construction: 250m-299m skyscrapers

These developments are fantastic and continue to shape our dynamic skyline... Melbourne Square, West Side Place and Melbourne Quarter between the 3 are sending 16 amazing buildings to the sky... many over 200m! This city just continues to amaze me.

Love the mixes of old and new... until Aurora is officially open I still consider its 271m under construction.

·
Master Louis
474 Posts
Here we go again.
Apparently none of this, premier, queen's place, by the gardens, 23-35 power st, Melbourne square or 380 Lonsdale are any good. Guess we should just pack it up now given that all of this can't compete with the 3 towers under construction in Sydney.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Seriously guys just ignore the ignorant! And there are a few of them.... if you don't quote them we don't have to read them!

Just wait until all these buildings are built and we will have an even more outstanding skyline than we already have. So privileged to be here over the last 16 years watching this unfold and continue to unfold... truly unprecedented what's happening right now.

·
Here we go again
803 Posts
Apparently none of this, premier, queen's place, by the gardens, 23-35 power st, Melbourne square or 380 Lonsdale are any good. Guess we should just pack it up now given that all of this can't compete with the 3 towers under construction in Sydney.
Not defending PGBSYD here because he's just a bit... well.

But there's actually close to 20-25 ish individual skyscrapers u/c right now up here. So not actually that bad despite our ridiculous planning laws

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I love your passion Malvern12.

Such exultations may well be an appropriate time for me to escape my personally enforced encapsulation within the Victorian threads, to savour the real-life experience of the worlds beyond.... Skyscrapers and General Urban Issues. Yes!

I knoweth not whereupon to cast thine eye!

It might be time for an induction Mr D..... coffee is sounding good!

Seriously guys just ignore the ignorant! And there are a few of them.... if you don't quote them we don't have to read them!

Just wait until all these buildings are built and we will have an even more outstanding skyline than we already have. So privileged to be here over the last 16 years watching this unfold and continue to unfold... truly unprecedented what's happening right now.

·
Registered
491 Posts

It is hard not to agree with you that Melbourne has an outstanding skyline. It is impressive no doubt.

As a Sydneysider, I love visiting Melbourne and have done so many times over the past decade or two. Even as a kid, I visited and stayed with relo's in Pascoe Vale. It has such a different feel to Sydney. A special sort of atmosphere and culture and climate. Love the laneway culture (which Sydney is slowly catching up to) and the general vibe of the city.

What I feel the difference between the two cities at the moment is Melbourne's obsession of being the biggest and the best between the two. I don't think that is doing the city any favors. Yes, it's great to have the "most talls over 150 metres" etc, which you rabbit on about endlessly, but I'm not sure in the long run that it will be the pride of the city in the future that Melbourne will be proud of. A lot of the towers that have been (or are currently being built) could significantly quickly date (over a decade or two) architecturally. I think Melbourne is going too hard too fast in the quest to be the biggest and best.

On the other hand, I think Sydney's planning controls are ridiculously restricting, and inhibiting our growth, although that appears to be slowly changing (maybe now as a challenge to keep up with Melbourne's development?). What Sydney's controls are ensuring is that (besides Greenland - lol) we are approving less but what we do are of a generally higher quality.

What I do know is that we are two completely different cities - historically, culturally, climatically.

Please don't see this as a troll post. It's not. I love Melbourne and could easily live there. Though, if I ever did move there, (which I have considered for the cooler, less humid climate) I would never even consider following that strange sport played there.

·
Proud Melbournian
1,682 Posts
I don't usually like to weigh in on such banter but IMO 'to each their own'. Everyone has a right to an opinion...doesn't necessarily mean if others have a different opinion then it has to be wrong. I personally think there's some amazing buildings going up all over this great country...& yes...some shockers as well. Love the differences in each city....GO AUSTRALIA !! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
OK .... stunning architecture all round then
Acting as if Sydney doesn't have the same level of lower-standard designed buildings is cherry-picking at its finest.

Not defending PGBSYD here because he's just a bit... well.

But there's actually close to 20-25 ish individual skyscrapers u/c right now up here. So not actually that bad despite our ridiculous planning laws
7... Sydney has 7 skyscrapers currently under construction.

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/city/sydney

150m is the threshold for a building to be a skyscraper, so sorry mate, it's 7.

Ever since the "Melb will be bigger than Sydney" report was released it's as if a panic button was pushed on this site and formerly tolerable members have gone haywire, hellbent on dismantling the very sanity of the forum.

I'm genuinely concerned about this sudden burst of oddly specific Syndey based trolling on these threads... SYDNEY WILL STILL BE A NICE CITY! Don't let it unravel you.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Proposals & Construction: 250m-299m skyscrapers

Yes. There is a fine line between skyscraper and high rise I suppose. There are also 5 > 150m going up in Parramatta. So you could say Sydney has 12?

And absolutely nobody would argue that any city’s buildings are all outstanding showcases. But Melbourne certainly has some fantastic developments going up right now... and some not so fantastic.

15641 - 15660 of 15850 Posts