SkyscraperCity banner

16041 - 16052 of 16052 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Crown is top notch. But so is Quay Quarter @ 50 Bridge. Two top class Sydney developments.
I agree, Crown is great, but it does give me mini-Shanghai Tower/a seen-it-before kind vibe (I know, I'll be crucified for that but you're kidding yourself if you don't see it).

QQT for me is just "mwah". It's unlike anything else in the world! The design, the sustainability angle/upcycling of the old AMP tower, the (almost) waterfront location.

It just ticks every box.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Real shame we couldn’t have another 50m of Crown.

But she shines like diamond regardless. And wait until she gets a glass clean and she will sparkle even more.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
i dont see it,
crowns design was influenced by SOH shells
I never said it was based on Shanghai Tower I said it looks like a mini Shanghai Tower, and you're delusional if you cant see similarities mate.

There is nothing wrong with Crown, its great, but when it comes to one-of-a-kind instantly recognisable individuality, QQT wins out.

I know you want Crown to be the final word in skyscrapers and nothing can touch it but pictures speak for themselves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shanghai tower and Crown are both tall twisting towers with glass cladding. There are no more similarities with the Shanghai Tower and Crown than comparing any two tall rectangular skyscrapers with glass cladding.

Yes a bit of resemblance, but we could do that comparison for many many towers. Crown is definitely distinct and unique, with a unique floor plate, shimmering angular glass and elegant twist that is unlike any other tower I’ve seen.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Shanghai tower and Crown are both tall twisting towers with glass cladding. There are no more similarities with the Shanghai Tower and Crown than comparing any two tall rectangular skyscrapers with glass cladding.

Yes a bit of resemblance, but we could do that comparison for many many towers. Crown is definitely distinct and unique, with a unique floor plate, shimmering angular glass and elegant twist that is unlike any other tower I’ve seen.
Yes, and that was my point. there is NOTHING you can compare QQT to. It's very hard to design something totally unique in the 21st century but QQT achieves that.

Crown is beautiful, but at a glance, you would forgive people fo thinking it was a short Shanghai Tower.

·
Registered
72,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,052
dan-yeah i do see resemblance now next to each other, i think shanghais more of a twist.
meldon-crown had to taper so less impact from viewed from water. because its so close. and it was turned north south to lessen shadow impact on its southern neighbours and ground areas.

16041 - 16052 of 16052 Posts