SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 7200 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like Australia will never get a 100 level building.

They seem to be able to get nearly there with Eureka, Q1 etc but still seem unable to make it to the 100 level.

So when do you predict Australia will get a 100 level building by ?

And which city do you think will be the first to get it ?

My prediction is Gold Coast in about 2022

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Tournament said:
It seems like Australia will never get a 100 level building.

They seem to be able to get nearly there with Eureka, Q1 etc but still seem unable to make it to the 100 level.

So when do you predict Australia will get a 100 level building by ?

And which city do you think will be the first to get it ?

My prediction is Gold Coast in about 2022
I think it'll be Gold Coast, or Melbourne. Outside chance Brisbane.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
It's not about population, it's about land prices and density. Sydney could support such tall towers, as Barangaroo already has as much office space as World Trade Center 1, but spread around 3 buildings! And has a similar price tag, $6b. It's just that the council, CASA and NSW government doesn't want any supertalls.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I thought the intended point of this thread was to focus on 100 storey towers which would mean building well over 300 metres. In Sydney, a 100 storey tower would be about 360 metres tall.

Keep in mind economics plays apart in building anything over eighty floors and it doesn't matter where you are. Taller buildings require more space for lift cores particularly at lower levels and that takes away available space for lease or occupation.

·
Registered
72,776 Posts
100 floors at minimum would be 3m floors= 300m. but i cant see this happening. i think it would be a mixed use which would take height to 350m to roof plus an arch feature could take height to 400m.
maybe next 20 years may see one.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
My point is the Barangaroo project is equivalent to a 400m supertall in the amount of office space that is being delivered and in cost. Barangaroo demonstrates the economic power of Sydney and shows the obstacle to a supertall is not economics or population, it's government.
This is probably not going to change in Sydney any time soon, unless we manage to get a NSW Premier who fancies a supertall. Odds are Melbourne or Gold Coast will built one before City of Sydney or NSW government do something about it.

·
Registered
72,776 Posts
barangaroo isnt a good spot for a 400m tower. i think a 300m-400m tower would be better off near bligh street zone

·
Banned
9,682 Posts
E1 on the Gold Coast was 101 floors and 340m, but that didn't go ahead due to issues around the site and the of course the GFC.

So it's doable, but a lot of things have to be going right for it to happen, and with the economy the way it is now I don't think the ground is fertile enough for 100 floor towers for the forseeable future.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Mornnb, Barangaroo I believe has set a good precedent for more bulky towers in Sydney.

That's why the Empire State Building and Chrsler building etc is not only tall but has a lot of bulk
Cities like Sydney where land is very limited need to follow what New York has done. Increase the heights and increase the bulk.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mornnb, Barangaroo I believe has set a good precedent for more bulky towers in Sydney.

Cities like Sydney where land is very limited need to follow what New York has done. Increase the heights and increase the bulk.
Try telling that to Clover and her cronies

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
wont happen in melbourne unless the state government approves it, doylie and council are whining about a 200 metre plus tower as is

1 - 20 of 7200 Posts