·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
343 Albert Street
DA: #A004722828
Developer: Turbit Nominees Pty Ltd
Architect: GMB Architects

Located on the corner of Albert and Turbot Streets, the new commercial office tower at 343 Albert Street will provide an iconic landmark to Brisbane’s CBD and King George Square. The site over which this application is made is comprised of one volumetric land parcel, which encompasses the existing 25 storey ‘Suncorp Plaza’ commercial tower inclusive of basement car parking and a ground-level plaza area off Albert Street, as well as existing access easements off Roma Street and Turbot Street (Easements DQ, DS, DW, DR, DT and DX on SP212390 and Easement T on SP262727.

The land immediately surrounding the subject site is characterised by a mix of high-rise commercial towers, open space, and State and Local heritage listed buildings including: the State Heritage listed Brisbane Dental Hospital and College opposite the site, and the State Heritage listed Albert Street Uniting Church adjoining the site.

The redevelopment of the site will encompass the demolition of the existing tower and replacement with a new landmark 30 storey tower with multiple basement parking levels. The new tower will provide Premium grade office accommodation together with podium level public activity by way of a mix of retail, food and beverage, gym, conference and childcare facilities.

·
New Urbanist
5,487 Posts
TBH, looking at the plans, the architecture on this looks pretty boring and bland. Not surprised its from Morris Property Group... Going by their residential proposals, architecture isn't their strong point.

A typical glass box, apart from a green wall at the ground where is the subtropical design elements?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
So this nonsense is proposed yet Regent Tower remains not built on.

A big no build it but not there and yes out of nowhere it would be the biggest demolition.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
I like it, it's short but the current tower's lipstick on a pig makeover never really worked for me so I'll be happy to see it replaced!

Reactions: finn

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A typical glass box, apart from a green wall at the ground where is the subtropical design elements?
Maybe the indoor palm trees?

I guess it is quite safe design (glass box), however, going from 26 to 30 floors seems to be not an overly huge gain? Is that even viable?

·
5,031 Posts
Maybe the indoor palm trees?

I guess it is quite safe design (glass box), however, going from 26 to 30 floors seems to be not an overly huge gain? Is that even viable?

The difference is not in the height, but in the size of the floorplate.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Size of floor plate would be the biggest factor, and, typically technology has improved to allow larger unimpeded floor plates which is what many of the larger financial firms are going for these days. I'd say the floorplates are at least 50% larger then what's currently there

·
Registered
517 Posts
What is the justification for demolishing a perfectly good office block?

I like the way the current building is oriented. This new design looks so imposing in comparison, heavily overshadowing the church!

Agree it is pretty bland, looking through the DA i believe it fails in the criteria of "buildings that breathe". Hardly any greenery, just a few palm trees in the lobby. I wouldn't be surprised if this either gets a full redesign or doesn't even go ahead.

·
New Urbanist
5,487 Posts
I've seen better thought out student design proposals than this. The architect Guida Moseley Brown really needs to step up their game if they want any repeat business.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks this picture is amazing, it looks like it belongs to a European city from years ago.

As with the proposal, I have no particular attachment to the Suncorp building, I could take it or leave it. However, I feel like the building that is replacing it isn't much of an upgrade from the exterior. Maybe the interior is significantly better.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts