SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
It'll take em a hundred yrs to demolish, if they are gonna demolish it all. They are, aren't they? My AHD will be well and truely in force by then. LOL.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Oh good a dog park *sarcasm.

I like progress but unless the building is riddled with asbestos or something else is going on, if they were replacing it with something unique that's fine but it's a loss. Poor church goers too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh good a dog park *sarcasm.

I like progress but unless the building is riddled with asbestos or something else is going on, if they were replacing it with something unique that's fine but it's a loss. Poor church goers too.
In the article linked in the post above you comes the following quote.

"People who worked at the landmark Brisbane building in the 1980s and early '90s were urged to get health checks after a terminally ill man was awarded $600,000 for asbestos exposure in 2012."

Note it also stated 36 floors not 37.

·
5,031 Posts

"People who worked at the landmark Brisbane building in the 1980s and early '90s were urged to get health checks after a terminally ill man was awarded $600,000 for asbestos exposure in 2012."

The elevation lists 37 levels from the Albert St entrance, with the top floor being plant rooms. Also, it is only 36 levels from the Turbot St entrance due to the slope of the site.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Not only was it riddled with asbestos, but it was asbestos that was sprayed onto the steel frame to insulate it. This use of asbestos leaves behind a much more hazardous type of material than the more common asbestos sheeting.

I've also heard (so take with a grain of salt) that the building's coduits aren't able to accommodate much (if any) more telecoms cabling or infrastructure, and the airconditioning is struggling and isn't capable of being easily replaced.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Some buildings built out of concrete like that can look good or be worth saving. The AT&T Long Lines building in New York for example is a great example of Brutalism that looks like it could survive a nuclear blast (probably because it was designed to be able to do just that in the event of world war 3 :) and the Sirius Building in Sydney is the best example of a Brutalist residential building in the country IMO.

But this building on the other hand is not like that. Its just plain ugly and I won't be sad to see the back of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've also heard (so take with a grain of salt) that the building's coduits aren't able to accommodate much (if any) more telecoms cabling or infrastructure
^^ This is true.

This building and 160 Ann street are of a similar vintage. Neither had risers for data/telecoms cabling, as it wasn't required at the time of construction. 160 Ann had holes jackhammered through the floor slabs to fit ethernet cables, but there was a limit to how many could fit through. This building had conduits though, but they were small for the required cabling, only designed for electrical cables not data or telecoms.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts

Yikes poor people that worked there.

Shows how ancient I am we used to go up to the revolting restaurant in the 70's. Also there were topless shows, some night club Top Of The State I think, surprised Sir Joh did not stop it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yikes poor people that worked there.

Shows how ancient I am we used to go up to the revolting restaurant in the 70's. Also there were topless shows, some night club Top Of The State I think, surprised Sir Joh did not stop it.
That nightclub was called “Images” in the 80’s.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
The article notes that several tenants have signed up for 7 year lease renewals, so it appears that Suncorp Plaza will be around for at least that long.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
IMO there needs to be changes somewhere to discourage practices like this where companies buy a property then submit a DA they have no plans to actually build just so they can flip the property for a profit. Its far better for the city if land ends up in the hands of people who will actually build stuff on it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Perhaps we should close 383 Albert as a thread given its not going to happen? It's just a value adding exercise. We are better than this people!

·
23,969 Posts
IMO there needs to be changes somewhere to discourage practices like this where companies buy a property then submit a DA they have no plans to actually build just so they can flip the property for a profit. Its far better for the city if land ends up in the hands of people who will actually build stuff on it.
Except it's not a big issue IMO. The second purchaser still pays what they think it's worth. There's no way of telling (legally) if someone is going to build or not, and I don't actually think there is any way of finding a line to determine illegality.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts