SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
^^ I agree, but with a lot of them being lodged by major commercial property groups (Charter Hall, Dexus, etc), it will be interesting to see which ones do get up.

I suspect the Regent Tower will be a non-starter for another decade or so...

As for the Cultural Centre, it does comprise of all the institutions, except when you're referencing the Cultural Centre in terms of the heritage-listed site - that comprises only QPAC, the Museum, QAG and The Edge. The modified SLQ and modern GOMA are excluded in that usage.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Juxtaposes with everything around it well IMO. It offsets the brutal form of the building to the west and is going for some sandstone sympathy in its podium. Seems quite well done on its face, and given the current situation, it's a little surprising anything is going up, so be grateful. Then again it's just a proposal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
^^ I agree, but with a lot of them being lodged by major commercial property groups (Charter Hall, Dexus, etc), it will be interesting to see which ones do get up.

I suspect the Regent Tower will be a non-starter for another decade or so...

As for the Cultural Centre, it does comprise of all the institutions, except when you're referencing the Cultural Centre in terms of the heritage-listed site - that comprises only QPAC, the Museum, QAG and The Edge. The modified SLQ and modern GOMA are excluded in that usage.
Nah. 😋

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
i got excited but the height is not 262m? is it now 146m? maybe title change

I wish it was around 240-250m. 262 puts it the same height as The One and I would like to see a bit of a difference in height. Too close to each other to be the same height. Also, as has been said by somebody.......the original was too overwhelming for the corner of the mall (IMO)

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Just read about this today. This development is well needed. Having this building replacing what is there now will be a huge improvement. Good riddance to that crappy old St George Bank Building, and The Reject shop.

This new development also includes substantial retail space including a supermarket.

The Urban Developer--->Charter Hall Lodges Plans for Brisbane Skyscraper

·
Queenslander
334 Posts
which of you guys wrote this submission?😄
DAPublic-A005520726-20201218-98493.pdf

To the Assessment Manager, I solely support this development because it will revitalise the South end of the mall and reactivate retail and pedestrian movements in the area. The proposed ‘Laneway Arcade’ connection to Burnett lane from the Queen Street mall needs to allow access 7 days a week with a minimum of 18 hours a day to ensure improved access and activation of Burnett lane and the South end of the mall.
Concerning the traffic movements and management, a roundabout needs consideration at the bottom of the ramp in basement 1 to act as a turn-around point for ride share and taxis to return to the ground level pick up point. Taxis, Ride Share and delivery vehicles should be discouraged using Burnett lane from Albert Street. The new two-way entry and exit from George Street and new pick up point should be encouraged for Taxis and Ride share vehicles. Delivery vehicles to the proposed building should only use the proposed George Street entry. This will improve pedestrian and cycling safety by reducing vehicle movements in Burnett lane, allowing improved pedestrian activation of the lane, which is Councils long-term goal. Active transport also needs addressing for casual users. Clearly marked signs need to be included to guide cyclists to the basement level for secure casual bike parking. New casual bike racks also need to be included at ground level.
The Queen and George St frontage will add an impressive welcome statement to mall, which will modernise and compliment the surrounding area. As planned, a new anchor supermarket with a liquor outlet is much in favour. This will ensure competition in the grocery and liquor sector within the CBD and will help guarantee foot traffic to the area and to other retail businesses. Construction of this development should be fast-tracked to support ongoing employment and to ensure Queen Street mall, as well as Burnett lane becomes a welcoming destination for residents and visitors alike.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts