Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Beirut Hotel And Residences​

Beirut Corniche, Lebanon

architect: Perkins + Will​

·
Smirk4Life
1,745 Posts
What? What? What? U/C?
This was only a project for a proposed Ritz to replace the demolished Carlton Hotel. Is this confirmed? BCD?

·
4,373 Posts
^^ That listing is only of the original proposal for Raouche.

Is it possible the project has been re-proposed for the BCD? and U/C? Certainly, Melkart, you have some explaining to do...

·
مستخدم م
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry guys its not under construction its under negotiation with the client. my bad!
all I know is that it will be on the corniche the exact location hasn't been released due to some confidentiality issues.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Guys this looks promising, here's a video posted by Perkinds and Will and what they answered on a question asked

Perkins+Will plus 11 days ago
Thanks for your interest. It's designed for a site on the Corniche. Further information is restricted due to a confidentiality agreement with the client.

http://vimeo.com/15261013

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
^^ no Residences

here is more information
Completion Date: 2015
Square Footage: 646,000

This project comprises a five-star, 250-key hotel and 31 branded condominiums set across a rocky bluff at the edge of the sea. A 75- foot wall of limestone separates the property from the water across a vehicular boulevard. The entire sea edge is a water-carved landscape that reveals the city's geology in the limestone strata.

The temperate seaside climate supports significant outdoor activity; the Beirut Hotel and Residences explores this environment through the architecture of a beach-less resort on the water's edge that nonetheless participates in a lifestyle of leisure and sun. A 3-meter "collar" of outdoor space rings every hotel and residential floor outside the glazed weather enclosure of the dwelling units. This space is envisioned as a series of private beach cabanas that visually connect to the water. The cabanas are sheathed in a lattice of wood slats under which oversized curtained daybeds sit on a rough ground of sandfaced cast-in-place concrete.

The outer layer of the cabanas is the visual image of the building; here, a complex system of sliding, perforated cast-metal panels filter the strong sunlight and afford privacy to the cabana occupants when desired. The entire façade is sheathed in this semi-transparent skin, which throughout the day is transformed by the occupants' act of opening and closing each private cabana. The hotel and residences' maintenance program wipes the façade clean twice daily by closing the panels, during late-morning and early-evening room servicing, recording and re-writing the daily cycle of occupancy.

Built atop the limestone strata, the dwelling units are stacked vertically in a way that heightens the distinction between layers of individual residences, without imposing an artificial alignment that visually absorbs the program into a single Euclidian form.

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
ok,,good new i guess,i am being optimistic here,i really want this building to be a reality.
on the corniche?i guess that would replace the old Kempinski hotel next to bahri gardens if you ask me :)

·
مستخدم م
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the rendering should give a clue no? look at the buildings adjacent to the hotel perhaps that might reveal the exact location.

·
LBN
236 Posts
No Melkart, the renderings were discussed in previous posts and we found out that they were generic images of Miami that the Architects used :p

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
ok,,good new i guess,i am being optimistic here,i really want this building to be a reality.
on the corniche?i guess that would replace the old Kempinski hotel next to bahri gardens if you ask me :)
ok,let me clarify here
there's a plot that got already dug up,was supposed to for Kempinski hotel,but didn't go well i believe,and i think this hotel will replace that one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This was the original winner of the Carlton Hotel competition. Which was replaced by Monsieur Ibrahim Jamil's horrible design.I'm guessing they switched locations and the project is back on since the architects updated the project on the site. I hope it does, it was one of my favorites, especially for that area. shu b3arifne.

I doubt they'll place it in BCD, the designed seemed very specific to its site.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
This was the original winner of the Carlton Hotel competition. Which was replaced by Monsieur Ibrahim Jamil's horrible design.I'm guessing they switched locations and the project is back on since the architects updated the project on the site. I hope it does, it was one of my favorites, especially for that area. shu b3arifne.

I doubt they'll place it in BCD, the designed seemed very specific to its site.
I agree very specific...the Carlton site was perfect..only other site would be the kempinski which matches the same design standard "cliff with a road running in front" and it would look kinda awesome there..

More info on the site it appears active..and they just showed it at a conference etc http://www.perkinswill.com/work/beirut-hotel-and-residences.html

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
The kempisky foundation is to small for this design, I doubt it will be at that location, they would have called in Rawche and not Corniche. I have a feeling it may be towards Ras Beirut???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts