SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Proposed | CBD SOUTH | 700 George Street | 40st/140m | Residential & Hotel

11750 Views 53 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Kanimbla
stage1 lodged
700 George st
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
A clear indication (given the location) that apartments are on the wane and offices (and hotels) are on the rise.
Reactions: 2
A clear indication (given the location) that apartments are on the wane and offices (and hotels) are on the rise.
If that means less people whinging about noise and leading to Sydney becoming a 'dead' city then its for the best. If we have any chance of restoring the vibrancy and night life in our city it is necessary to keep apartments to a minimum imo. I think that is also why Clover Moore is in favour of having a balanced number of residential and office buildings. Especially with the imminent demise of Kings Cross and Oxford Street.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
You’re preaching to the converted.:)
Exactly what I was thinking, especially towards the bottom end of George Street!!

If that means less people whinging about noise and leading to Sydney becoming a 'dead' city then its for the best. If we have any chance of restoring the vibrancy and night life in our city it is necessary to keep apartments to a minimum imo. I think that is also why Clover Moore is in favour of having a balanced number of residential and office buildings. Especially with the imminent demise of Kings Cross and Oxford Street.
I understand your point, but it should be pointed out that the southern CBD and Haymarket is one of the most vibrant places in Sydney / Australia at night. This can be attributed to high residential density and close proximity to high employment and tourist density, which all work together to support a high concentration of late night restaurants, and to a lesser extent pubs and bars.
See less See more
Also Cul - were the lowrise buildings fronting George Street temporarily removed to fit the model, or will they be demolished to accommodate this new building and create more public space?
Exactly what I was thinking, especially towards the bottom end of George Street!!

I understand your point, but it should be pointed out that the southern CBD and Haymarket is one of the most vibrant places in Sydney / Australia at night. This can be attributed to high residential density and close proximity to high employment and tourist density, which all work together to support a high concentration of late night restaurants, and to a lesser extent pubs and bars.
A lot of that is also to do with Asian cultures/demographics making that part of the CBD the way it is. They bring that little bit of Asian vibrancy that you get in cities Hong Kong, Bangkok, Shanghai etc, to Sydney.

I was also wondering whether the Spanish Quarter still exists? Because there would be only 1 or 2 Spanish shops/businesses in that part of the CBD these days. Not sure if we can really call it the Spanish Quarter anymore.
See less See more
Also Cul - were the lowrise buildings fronting George Street temporarily removed to fit the model, or will they be demolished to accommodate this new building and create more public space?
heritage bldgs are coming
Looks like this is residential/hotel:)

Application number D/2017/1787

Address -- 698-704 George St HAYMARKET, 43-49 Goulburn St , 51-57 Goulburn St

Stage 1 Concept Development Application for a mixed-used development comprising retail uses within the lower levels

and hotel and residential uses above and building envelope up to RL 152.96m

with alterations and additions to heritage item "Kiss's Building" and demolition of existing buildings at 43-49 and 51-59 Goulburn Street
Estimated Cost $127,240,000

https://online.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/DA/IndividualApplication?tpklapappl=1334754
See less See more
I hope they also retain the scuffy murphys facades.
sorry got mixed up harry
No worries Cul. Either way, new highrise inbound.
as you can see the small pub didnt want to be part of the project
See less See more
Reactions: 5
Cul, i LOVE your “conceptual” building. I take it that this is in no way an indication of things to come? Where do these “conceptual” designs come from? I think that exact design would look awesome! You’ve got the gig, Cul!
P.S. I am also really relieved the heritage buildings are all staying!! They will look fabulous as part of the new building. This juxtaposition of the old and the new is so characteristic of Australian cities, something you don’t really find anywhere else in such quantities and something overseas visitors always point out approvingly.
See less See more
Bar pub don’t want demolish but they decided no choice would be save money for this
Probably up to 2 millions dollars save money for one area of Bar Pub
If you find them up to 2,700 across Australia this one of them
Reactions: 2
OMG the blank wall will stand out so much from George st. :(
what blank wall?
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.