Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Competition entry for a new tower at 9-25 Commonwealth Street. Judging by the way it is phrased, it doesn't sound like Tonkin Zulaika Greer won, but it gives us a good idea of the developer's intentions / scale / height / uses etc.

Project Description
Tonkin Zulaikha Greer’s scheme for the 9-25 Commonwealth Street Design Excellence Competition saw an urban form generated that complements the existing surroundings. It comprised of a podium that engages with the public domain and a slender tower that reconciles visual conflicts of neighbouring development.

The existing public domain is energised and improved by the arrangement of key components such as cafes and restaurants, the gym and apartment building entrance as series of building forms that each open directly out to address the surrounding streets. A path weaves its way from Commonwealth Street past the restaurants, up to the roof terrace, and then on up to the gym. The roof terrace doubles as a sheltered outdoor dining level and the launching pad for a climbing wall.

A 5-star Greenstar was proposed that included employing cross ventilation strategies all the tower apartments, reducing plant and running costs for the building. The common foyers would be naturally lit and ventilated, with street and district views.

NORTH-AND-WEST-ELEVATION-WEB by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

TZG_V02_FINALE-WEB by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

TZG_V01_FINALE-WEB by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
WOW! That looks promising. Note the way the tower has been jacked up (bit of a Sydney Tradition!) to gain height, NOT that I'm complaining.
So, after the disappointment of 118 Bathurst, I wait in some trepidation, the actual winning design.

·
5,249 Posts
I have some vague recollection of this being a Meriton site? Which would mean it's likely to be built....but highly unlikely to look as good as that.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$40m office conversion plan
GREG BROWN THE AUSTRALIAN MAY 21, 2014 12:00AM

A PRIVATE Chinese developer is poised to spend more than $40 million on an office building in inner-city Sydney with plans to convert it into apartments.

The property at 9-25 Commonwealth Street in Surry Hills was sold by the NSW government to a private developer for about $20m last year.

Listed Singaporean developer Roxy Pacific Holdings had been in due diligence to buy the property earlier in the year. However, the deal fell over and the group instead opted to buy a CBD site at 59 Goulburn Street from a Charter Hall-managed fund.

The nearly 800sq m property Hills consists of a four-storey office building that was previously the headquarters of the AIDS Council of NSW.

The buyer has taken on the planning risk as it has not yet been approved for a residential development.

Knight Frank director of city sales John Bowie Wilson is brokering the deal but declined to comment yesterday.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...924583432?nk=07d96215689b0e279a2905ed576ac427

·
5,249 Posts
$40m office conversion plan
GREG BROWN THE AUSTRALIAN MAY 21, 2014 12:00AM

A PRIVATE Chinese developer is poised to spend more than $40 million on an office building in inner-city Sydney with plans to convert it into apartments.

The property at 9-25 Commonwealth Street in Surry Hills was sold by the NSW government to a private developer for about $20m last year.

Listed Singaporean developer Roxy Pacific Holdings had been in due diligence to buy the property earlier in the year. However, the deal fell over and the group instead opted to buy a CBD site at 59 Goulburn Street from a Charter Hall-managed fund.

The nearly 800sq m property Hills consists of a four-storey office building that was previously the headquarters of the AIDS Council of NSW.

The buyer has taken on the planning risk as it has not yet been approved for a residential development.

Knight Frank director of city sales John Bowie Wilson is brokering the deal but declined to comment yesterday.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...924583432?nk=07d96215689b0e279a2905ed576ac427
Ah okay, I'm not sure where I got the Meriton idea then :?

Too many development sites/concepts/proposals/applications/developers in my head all getting mixed up!

·
Registered
77,323 Posts
this will sure hem in nearby Aspire. this comp was h eld months ago.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Meriton is nearby but older developments.
Its recent CBD purchase is on the western side, otherwise it is buying sites all over especially in Parramatta, Macquarie & Green Square.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I'd love something like that especially the rock climbing wall. That would be quite popular with everyone. It is those sort of facilities that I've love to see in our building podiums.

·
Registered
77,323 Posts
yepm sorey cant say much. soon. this is one of those sites were they did it back to front. no stage 1. design comp first? not sure what hold up is.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
^^ The design competitions seems to favour the bland and 'safe' rather than the exceptional. Melbourne is getting better results without any design competitions.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
It's not the architects' fault but in the council's DCP demands and, in a recent case or two, the quality of the judging panel.
It's not always true that all Sydney's design comps produce bland results: look at 960 Bourke Street, Zetland, & Crown Green Square, Zetland, both in the (surely it's coming soon???) Green Square Town Centre. Both are quality designs, the Infinity being especially sensational.

·
Registered
77,323 Posts
thats a tough call mornb. im not sure melbournes are better proposals far from ti. they are TALLER yes? but our design comps are essiential or we will end up with boring tall boxes like melb. I d rather our skyline anyday. look at dubai. yes taller bldgs then NYC but looks crap in comparison.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts