Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A planning proposal has been submitted to Willoughby council for redevelopment of the Mandarin Center at Chatswood.

It is long overdue!

Info from council business papers.

The proposal will be considered at an upcoming council meeting and it has been recommended by planning officers!

2 towers
east tower 28 levels (90m) -elliptically shaped tower
west tower 16 levels (49m)

244 apartments
Car spaces 594

Vehicle access access from Orchard road
The proposed concept plans indicate that there will be no vehicle access from Victor St.
supermarket in the below ground level (3000 sq m)

OFFICER'S RECOMMENDATION
That:
1. Council support in principle the Planning Proposal for 65 Albert Ave, Chatswood subject to the amendments outlined in this report.

2. Proposal be forwarded to Planning and Infrastructure seeking a Gateway Determination for public exhibition

Summary of proposal

An increase in the maximum height limit from 27m to RL181.95 (89.95m).

The height is similar to the Sebel building at 31-37 Victor Street, Chatswood which has a height of RL 175.8 (or RL182.13 including plant.)

The existing building height is approximately 29m.

The indicative concept plans and report accompanying the Planning Proposal at Attachment 1 indicate that this would allow
13,829sqm of leasable retail/commercial floor space and 23,512sqm of residential floor space (244 apartments).

The development would comprise a podium building with 6 storeys above ground level
(generally matching the existing Mandarin Centre podium)

upon which sit two separate towers –
a western tower having a height of 11 storeys plus plant (next to the Sage building)
and an eastern tower with a height of 23 storeys plus plant (next to the Sebel/ Council building).

The retail/commercial floor space is shown in the indicative concept plans to include a supermarket in the below ground level,
3 levels of specialty retail and one level of “Entertainment” use(s).

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^^
I hope they will keep the Asian theme. I love their Asian food court that opens for dinner and of course there is Daiso too.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
The centre needs a msssive make over it's lost its relevance since sony moved out. Hopefully they can return some activity to the complex with this plan. I reckon it could go a bit taller.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love how the tower is nuzzling against the apartments next door. I reckon those south facing residents don't quite see it the same way :lol:

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
'Vehicle access access from Orchard road'

The proposed concept plans indicate that there will be no vehicle access from Victor St.

This is very positive for the proposed Post office redevelopment at 45 victor st.

Most of the traffic in Victor st at the moment is cars going into the Mandarin center carpark which now has its entry in Victor st :)

The Mandarin center retail is the third largest shopping center in Chatswood.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
The centre needs a msssive make over it's lost its relevance since sony moved out. Hopefully they can return some activity to the complex with this plan. I reckon it could go a bit taller.
The only real attractions there at the moment is the cinema, Daiso and the Asian food court. Whilst the small Asian supermarket is decent, there's a number of larger ones in Chatswood (eg New Yen Yen, full sized Asian supermerket on Endeavour Street). The Mandarin Centre has the potential to be so much more.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
^^ the 2nd Hoyts in Westfield is metres away and nicer than the older Mandarin Centre one

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Long overdue this one. Would love a bit more height, but 90m+ is nothing to sniff at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It reminds me a little of Altura on Chatswood, not as high though I think. So much new development going on over that side of the station, it'll be a busy next few years in deed

·
Registered
77,309 Posts
is the 90m tower sloped due to sun access plane to park?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^
yes - this is the explanation from the proposal...

"The four top levels above RL 169 will be stepped to reduce overshadowing to Chatswood Park and provide a visual transition from the Sebel building to the CBD edge."

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They have designed the towers to minimise view loss to Sebel and to share the view with Sebel.

Also levels 1-15 of Sebel are serviced apartments.

The western tower would leave views above level 15 in Sebel.

The elliptically shaped eastern tower is designed to retain angled views from the residential dwellings of the Sebel building.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
^^
I hope they will keep the Asian theme. I love their Asian food court that opens for dinner and of course there is Daiso too.
I wouldn't be too worried about the retail component though I think an upgrade of it will do some good.

Apart from Daiso, there is Trade Secret for those who are frugal.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts