SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 800 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone hasnt already started a thread about this which I couldnt find, but I heard that there were plans for a redevelopment (possibly a tower) of the riverside centre (the building next to waterfront place).
Is this true and if so does anyone know any details of this proposal? Or was dreaming or something when I heard this, or nobody has heard of such plans? ?

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
There was some talk a month or so back about some sort of development of the Eagle Street pier area. That is the lowrise building on the river, in between Waterfront and Riparian, it contains City Rowers nightclub, a McDonalds and a lot of shops. There used to be another dodgy nightclub there as well, can't remember the name, it closed down after someone shot dead a bouncer.

The Riverside Centre is the 142m Office Tower slightly further down the river towards the Story Bridge.

·
Banned
887 Posts
Riverside Centre is actually the building thats like the twin for Riparian.

Although i think what ur reffering to is this:

its owned by the same people that own waterfront place, as i recall.

ive not heard anything about a redevelopment, but i have thought that is a prime site for a while now

·
Registered
811 Posts
AussieBhoy, that night club was called 'Grand Orbit' - It was good in its prime, but all it took was that murder and the club quickly went down hill!!
I do remember them talking about building a tower on the site after the sale which happend about 3-4 months ago.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
Thanks for the name of the place NCC1701D, perfect picture to show it as well Blend.

It is a good site, I wonder how tall they would plan on going there?

It would be odd if AMP and Comalco were blocked from the river.

·
Dinosaur Planner
218 Posts
There used to be another dodgy nightclub there as well, can't remember the name, it closed down after someone shot dead a bouncer.

The club was called Grand Orbit, it was actually a really good club and was one of my regular haunts in the mid nineties. It had incredible decor, imagine the Press Club (the club in the valley next to the the empire hotel) with that type of decor (but even better) but also 3 times bigger.

It was such a contrast to the garbage clubs thar littered the CBD at the time (and still do) eg City Rowers.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
Eagle Street Pier is now owned by Stockland. (Stockland + Westpac now own Waterfront place) Stockland on its website has mooted the site for high rise residential, however this would be several years off. For more info check out Stockland Media Release

·
Yeah but No!!
1,496 Posts
I hope by then that the need for office space outweighs the need for Apartments, I can just see another wall of balconies ruining the best close up view of brisbane CBD. Oh well, lets worry about that later!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I really like the design of that whole area, They need to retain some public places like that. I hope they don't destroy it. Although i would like to see the end of city rowers. I remember going to city rowers a few times when i was younger. Geez there was some yobos in that place! Even the bouncers were complete idiots. They always were looking for fights, Three bouncers kicked the shit out of my mate one time so badly cause he spilled his drink and didnt want to leave. They smashed his cheek bone and broke his jaw, and kicked him on the ground breaking 4 of his ribs. Its no wonder one of them got shot. Some of those bouncers deserve more than just a bullet.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I have had some very good times at Rowers, I can see why more dedicated club people hate it though, it is a pretty basic meat market type place.

Your mate should have got the police or a legal firm involved.

·
Live and Let Build
810 Posts
Yes about the police there aussie boy, andy77aus, I'd imagine they would have had a good case against the bouncers if charges were pressed - of course I don't know all the details...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys yea thats the buildning I meant, not riverside centre lol!

·
Ach, sis man!
337 Posts
When Waterfront Place was purchased with Eagle Street Pier, Stockland said that develop wouldn't be considered for another 10 years.

Hopefully it will be commercial tower/s not residential, and also I hope the base incorporates the same style of eateries already present.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I heard somewhere the leases or options on the leases mean that it can't be redeveloped for at least another 5-10 years.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
Shado your right, places like Il Centro and The Coffee Club (first store) would be locked in to long term leases.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My understanding is that nobody has a lease that has more than 3 years to go at Eagle St Pier. That probably gives a timeline to consider for the commencement of any development. It might be interesting to see if some of the more established restaurants jump to Riparians restaurant precinct.

1 - 20 of 800 Posts