SkyscraperCity banner

701 - 720 of 800 Posts

·
23,969 Posts
Cassa has said previously that they would allow higher then 274 metres depending on the design. Here is an opportunity for a non flat top high-rise.
I'm really going to need some sources for that. Casa is renowned for having no interest at all in the design of towers, only the height.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I seem to recall reading something (don’t quote me on this) where CASA would consider above 274m, but that was on a case by case basis regarding elements such as spires or antenna.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it refers to spires and antenna. That's the story I was referring to and what I said about CASA looking at design of a building obviously with a spire on top or possibly tiered at the the top of it's design and as well it's overall shape which could impact on the radar system. So it is possible to go higher depending on what actions you take to stop your structure from interfering with the airports radar system.

·
23,969 Posts
Being tiered won't work. Spire or nothing.

If it's spire or nothing, I don't really care to be honest and would probably rather not have a spire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Then your into flat city skylines. Nice I personally prefer a bit of dramatics to be honest. Nothing like a bit of variety 😉

·
23,969 Posts
Not at all, just balance and no need for spires just to create hight.

Only a thin spire would be acceptable to CASA. I prefer interesting tops like 111 George Street, something CASA would not accept.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
More opposition to Riverfront Brisbane, this time from Sarina Russo, who owns an apartment in Riparian and an office building opposite (100 Eagle Street). Article title is clickbaity but Russo's real concerns relate to the project being an overdevelopment of the site.

Sarina Russo has $2 billion development in her sights for threatening her view

Sarina Russo has raised concerns about the $2 billion Waterfront Brisbane project, that may affect views from her multi-million-dollar luxury apartment, and wants council to get tougher on the developer behind it.

The Dexus group has applied to build two towers of 49 storeys and 43 storeys, with a combined 120,000 square metres of office space, on the site of the 30-year-old Eagle Street Pier. The project is known as Waterfront Brisbane.

If approved by Brisbane City Council, work would commence in 2022, requiring that section of the Riverwalk to be closed for two years and the first tower completed by 2026. The second tower would not be built for some time and likely be left as public and retail space.

The Palaszczuk Government provided land to Dexus to support the project, which outgoing State Development Minister Kate Jones described as a form of economic stimulus during the recession.

But the scale of the development has drawn criticism, partly for the lack of public space, and Dexus may even force Brisbane’s riverboats out of the city. The Liberal-led Brisbane City Council is considering the development application.

In a letter from her lawyer to the council, Russo echoed the concerns of stakeholders in neighbouring Riparian Plaza, where she has a luxury apartment. She said that if Waterfront Brisbane was approved and constructed according to current plans, the towers would be less than 15 metres apart and views would be impeded.

Russo suggested council hold the Waterfront Brisbane project to a higher standard, and greater scrutiny, than other developments.

“Given the position of the development in the epicentre of activity within Brisbane, located on the pier in a time honoured locality, such a (development application) should be reviewed to be held to a higher assessment criterion reflective of its importance to our city landscape,” Russo wrote.

“As an owner-director of a CBD building opposition (opposite - Nathan) as well as two others within a one kilometre radius of the proposed development, I support development in the name of progress.

“However, the subject plans constitute an overdevelopment of the site relative to the locality’s positioning, streetscape and needs.”

Over the past two years, Russo, through her company Sarina Russo Job Access, has donated to the Liberal National Party, Labor, and Katter’s Australian Party, most recently giving $10,000 to Labor last month. The Brisbane rich-lister has also served on Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk’s business advisory committee.

Russo said the current plans made “improper use of the Brisbane River leasehold site that the Queensland State Government has granted to Dexus” and suggested public objections may be limited due to Dexus having a “geographical monopoly”.

“It is worth noting that Riparian Plaza is the only property adjoining the subject development, or indeed in the immediate facility, that is not owned or controlled by Dexus,” Russo said.

The project has engulfed both levels of government, partly because the Brisbane River is deemed a state asset. The fate of the riverboats that have long graced that stretch of river remains unclear.

·
Registered
683 Posts
So what Sarina Russo is saying is, she does not give a $hit about the benefits to the city or the jobs it will create, as it effects her views from her apartment, so she is against the project.

While I believe the project needs some refining, I hope it can overcome these objections as the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If they put just one building about 50 floors 214 metre tall quite enough to her accept that, if they’re ignoring her end up fight for them until cancelled hmm?

·
Registered
Tall building enthusiast
647 Posts
So what Sarina Russo is saying is, she does not give a $hit about the benefits to the city of the jobs it will create, as it effects her views from her apartment, so she is against the project.

While I believe the project needs some refining, I hope it can overcome these objections as the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
I think the jobs and benefits schtick is a bit rich. As plenty of other people have mentioned, the two pretty average looking, blocky towers aren't really what most people want to see on such a prominent site - especially considering it's probably the last undeveloped site along Eagle St and the top of Queen St. It isn't as if the project falls anywhere near the post-corona recovery timeframe either, so why are jobs of particular importance here?

Her point about Dexus owning the whole street is very fair, and they shouldn't get a free pass for an underwhelming DA because the only direct neighbour is Riparian. It's one of Brisbane's most iconic waterfront sites, and whatever Dexus puts up will likely be there for the next few decades - is it really too much to ask to get a proposal worthy of the location?

·
23,969 Posts
But how is it over development?
In an area with no height limit and the ability to purchase TSAs, I doubt this could be seen as over development.

Yes, complain about bulkiness, blandness or whatever, but not overdevelopment.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I’m not saying the planned development is perfect and not in need of refinement, but just because Sarina will lose her view, this is not grounds to scrap the project.

This will really bring the river frontage to life and needs to go ahead ASAP, as the current area is looking very dated.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
So what Sarina Russo is saying is, she does not give a $hit about the benefits to the city or the jobs it will create, as it effects her views from her apartment, so she is against the project.

Serves her right for buying on the wrong side of the building, silly cow.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
The towers proposed are pretty bad. It's just a big wall of offices, taking up a lot of the site. Obviously built with profit as the no 1 consideration. They are a company, that's what they are going to try and do. It's up to the council I guess to try and get a good result for the city.

Imagine something like the London Shard on the river there.

·
23,969 Posts
^^Unfortunately, can't happen due to CASA limits ;)

I think we'd all prefer that to be honest.

·
23,969 Posts
To be honest, I don't think they care other than the separation to Riparian, which is not something that particularly bothers me.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
^^ The Bloomberg submission focuses strongly on the scale and design of the development, as well as arguing against Dexus' site coverage calculations and presenting issues with traffic flow. It is a lot more than just the separation to Riparian.

701 - 720 of 800 Posts