Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot believe a council has a fight over where to place a council HQ.

From The Gold Coast Bulletin

Council's 'Taj Mahal' sneaks back
Geoff Chambers

June 27th, 2009

JUST when you thought the $400 million council headquarters debacle was dead in the water, councillors yesterday re-ignited the project.

Councillors turned on each other at city hall after a decision was made to reopen the door for a council 'Taj Mahal' complex.

The council headquarters saga began in 1995 and has cost ratepayers millions of dollars for design and expressions of interest processes.

The latest development was triggered after city planning boss Cr Ted Shepherd secured support to downsize plans for a new headquarters at Evandale.

A list of proposed projects, for a nationwide architecture competition for the Evandale cultural precinct, was unveiled yesterday.

The projects include plans for a $160 million performing arts theatre and canvassed scope for a council headquarters -- suggesting an area of between 6000sqm and 25,000sqm.

Cr Shepherd argued that the scope for the project was too large and won support for a smaller 4500sqm to 8000sqm option.

The move rubbed out a Cr Peter Young-led plan to include new council offices in the proposed $1 billion Evandale cultural precinct.

Have your say on the feedback form below

Cr Young launched a scathing attack against other councillors in a last-ditch plea to save his proposal.

"I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this decision," said Cr Young.

"There are so many false assumptions and allegations that have no substance.

"Some councillors are referring to a transport report and claiming that the Bundall precinct will be congested. It's rubbish."

Cr Young was reprimanded on several occasions by Mayor Ron Clarke after he hurled comments at Crs Jan Grew and Bob La Castra.

He told the Weekend Bulletin that the decision to build a smaller civic centre within the cultural precinct would automatically re-ignite the headquarters debate.

In the past two years, councillors have considered sites at Robina, Southport, Helensvale, Nerang and Burleigh Heads -- to name a few.

"After yesterday's decision by council to limit the office accommodation component at Evandale to 8000sqm, the council-owned Nerang site will be pursued with renewed vigour as the location for the consolidated office accommodation," said Cr Young.

"Nerang is the natural, logical and commonsense choice."

President of the Friends of the Gold Coast Arts Centre, Paul Fitzgerald, who attended the meeting with other members of the group, said the focus must be on delivering a world-class cultural hub.

"We need a design brief and masterplan in place before we can go to the state and federal governments asking for funding," he said.

The Gold Coast Cultural Community Centre taskforce will meet next week to discuss the latest developments.

The Evandale cultural precinct 'ideas competition' begins on July 21 and will be unveiled to the public in October.

·
i've changed my mind
3,880 Posts
sorry to revive all these old threads, but is this still on the cards?? i think it's a shame people hate on council spending money on council chambers/headquarters etc, i think they can add some quite different cityscape dynamic beyond the usual resort/resi/small comercial developments.

have the decided where it should be based at least?

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
It's fine, Dan. And nope, I'm fairly certain this was scrapped as an unnecessary waste of money, especially when there is so many office vacancies around the city (Southport, Bundall, Robina, etc)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I'm not sure what it used to be, but my mum used to work in the Corporate Centre as a solicitor in it when I was a kid. ANZ now have signage rights, and Wyndham Resorts have their Asia/Pacific HQ in the adjoining Wyndham Corporate Centre building.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My understanding is they bought the two identical towers next to Surfers Rowers not the Corporate Center which is across the creek.
Apparently there is only enough parking for the bigwigs and no available parking in the surrounding area for council workers (I have no knowledge of public transport in the area) so they all have to park somewhere else and council have to provide a shuttle bus to the carpark (wherever that ends up being EDIT: Now that I think about it they were talking about the Racecourse carparking which sounds reasonable).....continuously throughout the day/evening.

I've also heard that the land they bought at Robina will be sold.

I would have thought the best option would be to demolish the old Gold Coast hospital and put a few thousand council workers there. Accomplishes multiple things:
1. Rejuvinates the heart of Southport
2. Accomplishes Tate's assertion that Southport become the business hub of the Gold Coast - after all a few thousand office workers would be good for the restaurants/cafes/bars, etc in Southport.
3. It's on the light rail so hopefully gets workers out of their cars. That's a no-brainer to me.
4. Might have got a fairly tall office building? (How high would it have to be to hold a couple of thousand workers?)

Anyway, any chance at a vision that works is probably gone.

·
i've changed my mind
3,880 Posts
i don't get a shuttle bus and car park for my job... most people don't. jesus.

·
Registered
17,376 Posts
^^ I've seen another case of this actually. Logan Hospital is having a rather large extension built, which has caused the closure of half the hospital's carparking space (it will be reopened, the extension sits above a now undercover carpark), but in the mean time, they built another carpark near the Griffith Uni campus, and run a shuttle bus between the two. It works I guess, but damn it much be expensive!

I would have thought the best option would be to demolish the old Gold Coast hospital and put a few thousand council workers there. Accomplishes multiple things:
1. Rejuvinates the heart of Southport
2. Accomplishes Tate's assertion that Southport become the business hub of the Gold Coast - after all a few thousand office workers would be good for the restaurants/cafes/bars, etc in Southport.
3. It's on the light rail so hopefully gets workers out of their cars. That's a no-brainer to me.
4. Might have got a fairly tall office building? (How high would it have to be to hold a couple of thousand workers?)
There's one big problem there: cost! That's the reason why they ditched their $200 million plan to build a new headquarters at Robina (nicknamed the Taj Mahal by the media and detractors) and decided on the much less expensive decision of buying the existing buildings (which are indeed the buildings you said, known as Waterside East & West respectively, not the Corporate Centre) at the bargain-basement price of $32.5 million.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts