SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning Proposal for 524-542 Pacific Hwy (Telstra Exchange) has been lodged for a rezoning review.
The proposal was not supported by Lane Cove Council.

Developer - Grocon Architect - PTW

Rezoning Review to rezone the land from B3 Commercial Core to B4 Mixed Use, amend the maximum building height from 72m to 182m (RL 263.35)

Proposal is 36m taller than the adjacent New Hope (Landmark) and 88 Christie St sites.

Ground / Upper Ground and mezzanine levels responding to the slope of the ground floor plane;
10 storeys of commercial uses
39 storeys of residential (Build to Rent) uses providing 330 apartments;
1 level of lounge and amenities for residents and occupants.
Seven levels of parking in the podium, accessed by car stacker

A 53 storey, cantilevered, tower sitting above and beside the Telstra exchange building.
The Exchange would remain operative and the proposal “not impact on the functionality of the building”,
with active retail facades screening the Exchange to Pacific Highway.

Background

The perceived redevelopment opportunities are severely hampered by the significant technical constraints associated with redeveloping the Telstra Exchange.
This is perhaps the main reason as to why the site has remained undeveloped

The key to unlocking the site’s potential lies in Grocon’s unique working relationship with Telstra.
Over the last four years, Grocon has been given the mandate to assess the development potential of all of Telstra’s Telephone Exchange sites across NSW.

Due to its regional significance, the Exchange building cannot be demolished or relocated
The key challenge for Grocon here is to ensure that Telstra can maintain uninterrupted service operation whilst overcoming all other site and construction constraints.

This critical piece of telecommunications infrastructure is the nodal point for Sydney’s North Shore,
ranking as the second-highest order of significance within the Telstra network.

The various allotments conglomerated as part of this proposal have fragmented ownership but are all currently controlled by Grocon Developments

Documents are here --------- LEPs Online- Rezoning Details

Concept renders

From the south - note cantilever over Telstra exchange

The 88 Christie commercial building is in the foreground

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is one of the projects on The Urban Taskforce List that have been caught up in NSW planning system.

This project dates back to 2016..

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
The ’jikster would have been better served with leaving Stokes in the Planning portfolio over the last few years, rather than shifting him to Education. He is an effective minister. Roberts was out of place in that role.

·
Registered
72,349 Posts
wow looks bloody awesome. 208m? yuge. so sculptural. its 263mRL height is equal with Chatswood Interchnage tallest. also only 3m lower then Salesforce above sydney harbour. or 12m lower then Crown. so exciting

·
4,917 Posts
wow looks bloody awesome. 208m? yuge. so sculptural. its 263mRL height is equal with Chatswood Interchnage tallest. also only 3m lower then Salesforce above sydney harbour. or 12m lower then Crown. so exciting
Where did you get the 208m from? I can only see 181.6m (above loading dock) and 177.6m above entrance lobby?

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is 182m(y)

Some larger renders (I hope) - i m still getting used to this new platform and the best way to post (especially images):)

If u click on these images a larger version should pop out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just jizzed.

Also, shouldn't those council boundaries around St Leonards be tidied up? Give it to North Sydney I say.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very ambitious marketing claims to say that they can fit 500+ jobs into what looks like 4 full floors around 700m2 each and 3 floors a third of that 😆 visually nice though...

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took this photo of site a few days ago.
Telststa exchange is the ordinary looking brick building that cannot be demolished or moved.
And to the right is the row of old shops that form part of the development project.
To the far left is the Landmark under construction and the completed St Leonards Square.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Probably has something to do with shop facades like those being a dime a dozen, but for now at least, there is only one telephone exchange in St Len’s.

Ciao.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
"The Exchange would remain operative and the proposal “not impact on the functionality of the building”, with active retail facades screening the Exchange to Pacific Highway. "

Well at least it's going to be covered from the street.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If I drove or walked past those buildings, I wouldn't think much of them to be honest. Graffiti plastered all over them with cheap looking signage. Awful colours and positioned on a busy road where they will most likely deteriorate even further. If they want to restore it, then do it properly and at least make it add to the place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts