SkyscraperCity banner

5801 - 5820 of 5939 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Assuming a Hunter St terminating station in this stage of Metro West they’ll need a crossover cavern to the east. Looking at the map I wonder if they are considering using The Domain along Hospital Rd as a TBM extraction location. The TBM’s would come from the west, push through the station and then stop at The Domain.

The hole can be covered with a cap and parkland reinstated on top waiting for the day when TBM’s come in from the south east.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If they went through there aren't they getting near the unused St James tunnels and the lake? That is under Macquarie St down towards the Domain area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They will probably be using zetland or somewhere else in that area as to where the TBM's start drilling, not the domain or hyde park.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Can't see them spending big $s on additional tunneling that mightn't be used for 10-20 years.

I'd think an extraction portal somewhere near the Domain Carpark would be fairly straightforward and that part of the domain isn't used much.

So long as they don't impact the travelator

·
La Urbanista
1,395 Posts
There's huge tracts of land around WSA that are going to be zoned industrial, so I doubt there's really any dire shortage of it. And it's ridiculous to have large areas of low-density industrial land on top of a high-capacity metro system. You could probably house a couple of hundred thousand people in the Silverwater/Camellia area with a couple of metro stations anchoring high-density development, and these people would have quick commutes to both the Parramatta and Sydney CBDs (<10 and <20 minutes respectively). With value capture the construction of these stations could essentially be revenue-neutral, if not actually profitable.

Instead those people are going to have be housed on the periphery of the metro area, meaning they will have to put up with >60-minute commutes. For the sake of retaining light industry, I don't really think it's a beneficial trade-off.

If you do want industrial areas in the inner city, I would suggest it would be better to look into densifying their land use. There's no reason why warehouses have to be these sprawling, land-intensive single-story complexes.
Same thing with why Artarmon Industrial Area missed out on a station on Metro City&SW. You can't convert all industrial areas into residential. You need local industry like smash repairers, couriers, Bunnings and such. If Artarmon had been converted there would be no industrial land in the entire North Shore essentially...

Now I maybe could get on board a mixed use centre east of Silverwater Road, leaving the western portion industrial. But high density is crumbling ticky tacky crap in this country anyway and all of it should be halted until higher standards are legislated.

·
Registered
680 Posts
What industrial areas also have is a lot of trucks/vehicles and large plants which need machinery and storage space. This is why you don't really need train stations around them. Most people who go to these places for whatever reason generally drive. A bus service going through the industrial area is generally a good enough public transport option.

To also have all this industrial only in the outer perimeter of the Sydney basin is probably not the best thing to do. The idea would be to not make people take 60 minute commutes by ensuring there are jobs spread out across Sydney, and by creating large employment hubs similar to what is happening in Parramatta. Penrith and Liverpool will both benefit from the airport in regards to this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if there is gonna be a pyrmont station, then its probably gonna be somewhere on the NE part of pyrmont because there is little to no heritage in that area in contrast to other areas in the suburb. they might end up digging up parts of union square to build it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Same thing with why Artarmon Industrial Area missed out on a station on Metro City&SW. You can't convert all industrial areas into residential. You need local industry like smash repairers, couriers, Bunnings and such. If Artarmon had been converted there would be no industrial land in the entire North Shore essentially...

Now I maybe could get on board a mixed use centre east of Silverwater Road, leaving the western portion industrial. But high density is crumbling ticky tacky crap in this country anyway and all of it should be halted until higher standards are legislated.
Artarmon South was also a dumb decision. You don't have to get rid of all the industrial area, but set aside a chunk of it in the immediate vicinity of the station for high-density development. You can have more mixing between uses rather than large industrial-only zones.

By the way, the north shore has extensive industrial areas in Brookvale, Manly Vale, Castle Cove, Lane Cove West and Frenchs Forest, so Artarmon would not have been a huge loss anyway..

High (or medium-high) density doesn't have to be cheap garbage, and that shouldn't be used as an excuse to forego otherwise viable developments, which means that the people who would otherwise be housed there instead will be moving into McMansions 60km away from the city.

·
La Urbanista
1,395 Posts
Artarmon South was also a dumb decision. You don't have to get rid of all the industrial area, but set aside a chunk of it in the immediate vicinity of the station for high-density development. You can have more mixing between uses rather than large industrial-only zones.

By the way, the north shore has extensive industrial areas in Brookvale, Manly Vale, Castle Cove, Lane Cove West and Frenchs Forest, so Artarmon would not have been a huge loss anyway..

High (or medium-high) density doesn't have to be cheap garbage, and that shouldn't be used as an excuse to forego otherwise viable developments, which means that the people who would otherwise be housed there instead will be moving into McMansions 60km away from the city.
You're one of those people that build a a purely high rise city with no industrial zoned land on Simcity aren't you 😄

Also three of those areas are Northern Beaches, not North Shore. And the rest are tiny by comparison to Artarmon xx

You remind me of me fresh out of university. Brainwashed into high density is best agenda while all the academics themselves live in said McMansions...

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Also three of those areas are Northern Beaches, not North Shore. And the rest are tiny by comparison to Artarmon xx
I’ve alway found it weird that suburbs nowhere near the physical “shore” are regarded as “North Shore”
Whereas those suburbs on the actual shoreline of the sea aren’t regarded as “North Shore”, no they’re in the “Northern Beaches”.

·
La Urbanista
1,395 Posts
Much of the 'industrial' land in Artarmon South is actually retail and office space.
Yep. And if you use Google Maps and zoom in on Artarmon and Silverwater you can see how many business 'labels' pop up. Its very high density. Not low-density at all df1 is saying. The land around WSA is massive sprawling logistics warehouses. Not comparable to fine grain garages and small suites and industrial estates.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've never known anyone to complain about living in a 'McMansion'. Especially if you have kids. Can't say the same about units - and when you look at the issues that have popped up with living in units over the last few years, a lot of people are probably a bit more cautious about what they choose to go with. Different things will suit different people off course.

·
21,892 Posts
They do complain greatly actually.

Many complain about the ability to get to work, the shops etc. due to traffic congestion. A big cause of this lack of accessibility is often due to the type of landuses that include McMansions.
Many complain about public transport frequency or the lack of park and rides. Again, land uses that include McMansions.

They are actually inseperable and therefore, yes, many many people complain about McMasions, just less directly than units.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I’ve alway found it weird that suburbs nowhere near the physical “shore” are regarded as “North Shore”
Whereas those suburbs on the actual shoreline of the sea aren’t regarded as “North Shore”, no they’re in the “Northern Beaches”.
Its historical. Some locals may be able to confirm but my understanding from piecing bits together from friends and a relative from the area is that the "North Shore" was named after the area north of the Lane Cove river where they would take boats as far as as they could to harvest the huge old trees for their timbers. That was formalised when they built the "North Shore" rail line through the suburbs up through Killara to Wahroonga (as far as they used to go to harvest timbers via the river). By default Waitara became part of the "North Shore" but Hornsby (originally Pearces corner) is not technically meant to be the North Shore nor are suburbs like Westleigh or Normanhurst, all part of the Northern line.Thats more locals and real estate agents trying to make these suburbs more exclusive.

The North shore line was driven by land developers rather than all lines before it where their main purpose was moving goods, produce and livestock. Many people probably dont realise that historically, the Upper North Shore was where the very wealthy lived on large blocks in grand homes (some were huge estates). While the areas such as Kirribilli, Waverton, Wollstonecraft, Willougby and Northbridge around/ closer to the main harbour that are now so valuable, were working class (since it was a proper working harbour). There was a big change when the Sydney Harbour bridge was built providing a direct connection to the CBD rather than the ferry connection at Milsons Point.

This saw large numbers of wealthy people leave the inner west etc to move to big blocks in the garden shire while using rail to travel. The area around the "upper" North Shore had remained fairly wealthy for a long time but as the Harbour lost its industry and Sydney became more dense, blowing out travel times, the Upper North Shore started to change. The big estates were all carved up and I don't think there are any real big ones left but may be wrong. With the changes NSW Labor brought in when they removed planning powers from Ku-Ring-Gai council sealed the deal. All the apartment blocks that sprung up under their plans surrounding the historical main centres changed the dynamic and land values of the area forever.

On the other hand, the Northern Beaches was a few fishing villages until "relatively" recent times. Part of the reason the Beaches rail line via the Eastern side of the bridge wasnt built. It couldn't be justified and Mosman/ Manly had the trams.

5801 - 5820 of 5939 Posts