SkyscraperCity banner

5841 - 5860 of 5940 Posts

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,557 Posts
The metro could also have run via Wentworth Point and Ermington but that would probably kill the 20 minute journey objective - though how important is that compared to if it became, say, 25 minutes? Anyway, once it's decided that the metro is to stay south of the river, that increases the chance of the light rail branch being confirmed. Perhaps that should be routed through Wentworth Point?

·
21,892 Posts
I feel that one of the reasons the 20min is important is the need to allow for interchange at the city end increasing the trip time, as well as needing it to be sufficiently faster to encourage people to take the metro over the CityRail to relieve congestion.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The metro could also have run via Wentworth Point and Ermington but that would probably kill the 20 minute journey objective - though how important is that compared to if it became, say, 25 minutes? Anyway, once it's decided that the metro is to stay south of the river, that increases the chance of the light rail branch being confirmed. Perhaps that should be routed through Wentworth Point?
Stage 2 does route through Wentworth Point, that was part of my "point" :p These are all strong development areas, all the way down to Carter St.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I feel that one of the reasons the 20min is important is the need to allow for interchange at the city end increasing the trip time, as well as needing it to be sufficiently faster to encourage people to take the metro over the CityRail to relieve congestion.
20 min journey time has always been priority number one since they chose the route. Without that time saving it won't meet its most important objective, creating a faster alternative to T1, since it's nearly maxed out. It's not even worth contemplating a route that doesn't include that objective. 10 minutes quicker seems to be the sweet spot for both Metros.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Here we go, the "it's not a typical metro" whinge again. It's not a metro, it's a rapid transit system that uses metro technology and carries the (nowadays much misused) moniker "Metro". It needs to be shaped by the function it is to perform, not by some doctrinaire definition.

They're getting a tram stop at Camellia, I thought that was to do the same job (assuming they can run the tram above walking pace this time around).
I think if the Parramatta region is supposed to be a high density CBD then a station on the eastern fringe at Camelia makes sense
Just under 2km from the central region (easily walkable to eastern side ammenities)
Tram interchange
Close to UWS campus
Close to Rosehill Racecourse/function centre
New high density precinct

Westmead to the west is about the same distance from the new Parramatta station and has similar ammenities - just swap out for a hospital

·
Registered
469 Posts
Camellia and Rosehill (at least east of James Ruse Drive) are somewhat of an enigma.

Camellia literally has a single dwelling that you can see from James Ruse Drive. Rosehill is a vast area that has the racecourse and of course all the industrial sites behind it. Neither the racecourse or the industry are going away as far as I can tell.

What will happen to Camellia is anyone's guess. Apart from a few renders of building envelopes from a few years ago it is hard to say for sure. Keep in mind that there will be a light rail stop there. Will that be enough to service Camellia if the area is converted to residential use? In all honesty, I don't know. I would argue that a Metro stop at Camellia only makes sense if the area is zoned for commercial use as an extension of Parramatta CBD almost like a business park. I know that idea has been suggested in the past. If however, the plan is to convert it to predominately residential use then I don't know if a Metro stop is necessary keeping in mind the impacts that has on the line.

I have a colleague in the local council and his comment was that the high-rise plans for Camellia were born out of necessity due to the cost of remediation. If you walk through that area now it is just empty wasteland. Could anyone really justify putting a train station where there is nothing but empty land today? Will it be converted to mixed use? Will it remain industrial? My guess is that in 15 years time I will still be walking past that concrete wall whenever l walk past.

Metro West is compromised between an all stops service and a speedy line between Westmead/Parra and Sydney CBD. It's easy for us to comment and ridicule decisions but in reality there are smart people working on this stuff and compromises must be made.

edit: after I typed all that I did some research on Camellia and see that things have been progressing with the master plan. Maybe my skepticism is a little unwarranted.

·
Sure, Jan...
3,406 Posts
This map highlights why it's disappointing to not have a Camellia Station. Camellia, or even southern Rydalmere is the nexus of the eastern branches of Parramatta Light Rail and could have expanded the catchment of the metro towards Carlingford and Telopea's development.

Sure, you could stay on the tram until Parramatta, but that's >5 minutes of backtracking to the west if heading east; and if you catch the tram to SOP instead that'd be at least 15 mins added to the trip to get to the metro station there.

There's just so many lost network benefits.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I rarely watch press conferences but this morning Rob Stokes was onsite at the fish markets re-announcing for a billionth time that the new fish markets site had been approved so understandably the reporters diverted to other questions, in particular whether the Ritz Carlton hotel would be accelerated as a post pandemic jobs initiative. Stokes said that the Pyrmont precinct is currently under a strategic review and will be released this October for public feedback, which is when I imagine a Pyrmont metro station will be announced concurrently.

·
Registered
628 Posts
So if you live on Victoria Road and want to go to the city just go to Meadowbank station rather than trundling slowly through Wentworth Point. If you want to go to Parramatta get a bus rather than trundling slowly down Victoria Road.

It might benefit Wentworth Point residents going to Parramatta, but not much else for however many billion dollars it's going to cost.

·
21,892 Posts
Where did I mention anything about the city?
What about people living in Ermington or Melrose Park heading to the Uni? Or Parramatta? Or jobs in SOP?

I imagine there will be a lot more GFA in and around SOP, Rydalmere and other places along the corridor. It's not just about CBD trips. It is however partially about focusing a lot of trips onto Parramatta.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I don't think I agree with these sentiments. Meadowbank is over 30 mins to Wynyard from memory, add travel time from all those locations and the crappy frequency, it could be well over 40 minutes. Compare that to well located LR stops and a quick interchange to a very frequent West Metro and I wouldn't be surprised if you could nearly halve that (depending on starting point) and be a lot more comfortable if the CBD is your destination.

Then, as mentioned, you have all the other areas you can access, Parramatta, Westmead, Olympic Park, The Bays, Pyrmont etc. Even via the much loved single seat journey for the big destinations! If they terminate the Northern line at Central, it will be even better again via LR/ West Metro.

I have to say, the LR would be a huge draw card if I was wanting to buy an apartment in these big development areas that dot the stage 2 route.

5841 - 5860 of 5940 Posts