Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Thursday's City Messenger:

This should be a good development! Hopefully it will also get rid of the Renaissance arcade building which would be a bonus! :D

·
6,582 Posts
I might be confused, but there isn't really a Renassance Arcade 'Building' per-say. The arcade goes between Masions (pictured) which I personally think is fantastic, Hotel Richmond and David Jones. The ugly building is the Renassance Tower, which is oppisite the arcade along the mall.

Sounds interesting though. The arcade itself is rather delapidated and in need of renewal. I wonder what the chances of it being extended up Angus Street to North Terrance? Perhaps re-aligned al-la City Cross?

·
Power 2004
855 Posts
If these blokes are going for the tallest resi, they'll have to beat the 105m Bentham. Can't see that happening in it's proposed location. I bet it'd be 60m max.

·
Registered
77,376 Posts
good news. the rennaisance arcade bldg was Adelaides first highrise apartments back in 1911. so i guess they keep it and build on top? i think its heritage listed. as Ruthven mansions.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hope so mate. Whilst it's not looking as good as it could because of a dodgy colour scheme, I'd hate to see that building go.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I wonder whether it is possible to do what was done to the heritage listed facade at Aurora Tower in Brisbane or to build immediately behind the building. I doubt the building and its foundations would be strong enough to support another 14 levels on top of it.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Wow! Seems interesting. Any DIea what the heighet restriction for this lot may be? Note how he said there willing to go as high as they can. was he being serious?

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
i was walkin through renaissance arcade today...it could be realli nice if it was done up a bit...

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Alot of buildings in the CBD would be Superb if the government spent some money revamping them. Behive Corner is a verynice, well maintained example.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Even though Beehive Corner was restored only about a decade ago, most of what exists there now is not actually the original. The northern end of the building used to be a bland white wall which replaced part of the brick work for the Beehive Corner in the 1960s. They removed it and rebuilt the brickwork that matches the original on the corner.

·
6,582 Posts
What the arcade could really use is a biger frontage onto the Mall, to suck in more shoppers.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
What the arcade needs is more obvious entrances, and more entrances itself. There really aren't any significant tenants that occupy the arcade (CX has Harvey Norman, Myer Centre has Myer, ACP has David Jones, etc.) to lure many shoppers and other tenants in there.

It almost seems best to tear the whole arcade and start again, leaving behind the Ruthven Apartments, Hotel Richmond and several shops that back into the arcade.

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
its nearly impossible to get in and out of that place

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
its one of those places that you probably have been in but hav no idea what it actually is...lol

bit like me in my own home...lmao

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Are there shopfronts facing Rundle Mall? i know this building from pultney st but i have no clue bout it from Rundle. the only explanation i can think of would be that there a few shopfronts facing the Mall?

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
angus and robertson, dymocks both have renaissance arcade entrances

1 - 20 of 58 Posts