Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Banned
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, even if we don't get a lot of supertalls eventually, if ever, or even if we just get one or two... one thing is for certain... you put enough of those 400-450-500 foot buildings up, we're going to have one concentrated batch of towers that will definitely stand out as a superior skyline....

·
Registered
685 Posts
You know, even if we don't get a lot of supertalls eventually, if ever, or even if we just get one or two... one thing is for certain... you put enough of those 400-450-500 foot buildings up, we're going to have one concentrated batch of towers that will definitely stand out as a superior skyline....
For better or for worse, that seems to be the route we are headed. Personally I think having several in the 800 range (will have 2 after Panorama) is good enough. You fill surrounding area with 450-600 and it will look great.

ANY super tall is just an awesome luxury for me.

·
Banned
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For better or for worse, that seems to be the route we are headed. Personally I think having several in the 800 range (will have 2 after Panorama) is good enough. You fill surrounding area with 450-600 and it will look great.

ANY super tall is just an awesome luxury for me.
Based on what I'm seeing, and the proposals that get bounced vs. the ones approved, it seems that there will probably be another 20 or 30 towers in the 500 range, (450-550), and maybe 2 or 3 in the 800 range to be expected. If we finally get a 1000+ it will be the One Bayfront tower. Unless something happens with aviation standards at MIA this will be the skyline for a while... now north of the Edgewater area is a whole different animal... nothing wrong with seeing some 1000 footers north of Julia Tuttle for instance...

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Based on what I'm seeing, and the proposals that get bounced vs. the ones approved, it seems that there will probably be another 20 or 30 towers in the 500 range, (450-550), and maybe 2 or 3 in the 800 range to be expected. If we finally get a 1000+ it will be the One Bayfront tower. Unless something happens with aviation standards at MIA this will be the skyline for a while... now north of the Edgewater area is a whole different animal... nothing wrong with seeing some 1000 footers north of Julia Tuttle for instance...
I suspect you mean One Brickell?

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
One Brickell CityCentre is our best shot at a supertall. With Swire behind it, it's the closest thing to a sure shot and a hole-in-one that we've got.

No confidence in One Brickell City Centre?
Sounds like they both misspoke.

·
Registered
685 Posts
One Brickell CityCentre is our best shot at a supertall. With Swire behind it, it's the closest thing to a sure shot and a hole-in-one that we've got.

Sounds like they both misspoke.
Amen.

If it gets built, 1BCC could tower over the rest of the Miami skyline for many many years. It's not a necessity but in a way would legitimize us a bit.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
The skyline would pop with a 1000 footer added to it. Hopefully the other two dont take too long. :)

·
Banned
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Prospects for a supertall!

No need for brain refreshing here. One Bayfront Plaza is not our most likely chance for our first supertall. Most likely it will be One Brickell CityCentre because Tibor Hollo and sons are too busy with Panorama right now. In fact, if you're following the news on the development threads, it looks as though the Hollos will be developing Villa Magna before One Bayfront Plaza.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Correct. That's why I questioned Damage. Doesn't the building at One Bayfront and the Related proposed supertall location for that matter also have tenants with leases going on for several more years before they can even start demoing?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Right; I wouldn't hold my breath for OBP in the nearish-future, at least in the incarnation that we know it.

I think our only real prospect at the moment would be One Brickell City Centre, and possibly the Bayside Observation Tower (not really a "building" per se). Now, if 1BCC can get the required variance, then it could potentially set a precedent that other developers could follow.

I get the symbolism that people seek by having a supertall, but I think in Miami, we need to accept the fact that height is just not in our cards.

And that's okay with me.

Let's focus on things we can control, such as architectural significance, density, and/or a vibrant street-level experience.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath for OBP in the nearish-future, at least in the incarnation that we know it.
When One Brickell CityCentre was first announced, I saw that the timeline would have us bringing two supertalls on line at roughly the same time. That wouldn't be good for the market. The Hollos are wise to hold off yet again in this situation and develop Villa Maga now and One Bayfront Plaza later. They originally had it planned the other way around.

I get the symbolism that people seek by having a supertall, but I think in Miami, we need to accept the fact that height is just not in our cards.
The supertall range starts at 984 feet. We should be able to build at least that tall and a little taller close to the mouth of the Miami River.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That site next to the epic should be interesting to watch. As someone alluded to, when you're spending that kind of money you better make it worth while.

I think 800+ makes it worthwhile :banana:

·
Registered
108 Posts
That site next to the epic should be interesting to watch. As someone alluded to, when you're spending that kind of money you better make it worth while.

I think 800+ makes it worthwhile :banana:
Agreed; both the location near the Epic and also the property at 444 Brickell, when that gets developed, should be high-profile complexes. Not to mention they are in a prime area for taller buildings. :)

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Agreed; both the location near the Epic and also the property at 444 Brickell, when that gets developed, should be high-profile complexes. Not to mention they are in a prime area for taller buildings. :)
Those two lots are where they could build the tallest buildings in downtown Miami because they are directly between runway approaches.

·
Miami at Night Book
2,308 Posts
I'm interested to see what kind of design they come up with in that Epic lot because it is so small and in a triangular shape.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I hope they really go for it with the design and make it a show piece. The only concern for me is that they blew their wad with the cost of the land and have to recoup by going cheap or boring.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts