SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the site has been on holiday I found out what Ballymore plan for the site next to the Ontario tower (building C). Theres a pre-planning document registered with a design statement (sorry no pics) of a SOM designed 44 storey resi-tower. This would make it by my estimation the 2nd tallest resi-tower in the Docklands.

http://194.201.98.213/WAM/showCaseFile.do;jsessionid=9F4CF74809B8811FFA46437885931086?action=show&appType=Planning&appNumber=PA/06/1503

This link gives details of the tower

http://194.201.98.213/WAM/doc/103202-Page-5.pdf?extension=.pdf&page=5&id=103202&contentType=application/pdf&location=Volume3

http://194.201.98.213/WAM/findCaseFile.do;jsessionid=9F4CF74809B8811FFA46437885931086?address=blackwall+way&action3=Search

·
Registered
22,140 Posts
Well I posted this earlier but i suppose it can go here to.

Two new towers announced next to Ontario in this week's Wharf newspaper.

The Wharf
Scheme to include two new towers
Oct 12 2006
By Kay Harrison

THE FINAL piece of New Providence Wharf could soon be slotted into place.

The fourth building project in the ambitious Blackwall scheme, which lies opposite The O2 (Dome) and includes Ontario Tower, has now reached the early stages of planning.

According to an environmental assessment report submitted to Tower Hamlets Council, the development would include two new towers, which could feature office and residential space.

The highest could reach a possible 44 storeys - taller than Ontario's 32.

The second tower would be a maximum of 12 storeys in height, providing a possible combined total of 485 apartments and up to 242 car parking spaces.

A public plaza, children's play areas and private gardens are also suggested as options in the report.

This part of the site has planning permission for a 452,000 sq ft office building, but Ballymore has not made a final decision on usage.

A spokeswoman said: "We are currently reviewing options for 'Building C', the final piece in our development at New Providence Wharf. When Ballymore has arrived at its preferred option it will consult with residents and the borough of Tower Hamlets, prior to the submission of any planning application."

The first development at New Providence Wharf, a river-fronted, 19-storey residential building, opened in 2004. The other buildings - Michigan and 86-88 Blackwall Way - were completed this year.

Ontario Tower, which will stand next to the new towers, is due for completion next year.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Wow, looks very nice. Reminds me a tad of the Birmingham tower they're doing which is about the same height.

·
Most ignored user!
354 Posts
Looks like someone said "Right, we want 2 towers that look like lipstick..... you and you, go away and design one each and gives us your results." Kinda like they wanted them to look like one project.... but didn't really discuss it between themselves when the were designing.

·
Registered
22,140 Posts
Looks nice.
Someone should replace that car park with normal park.The area really needs some green space.
That's got another set of residential towers going on it.

I think the crown needs re-examining. Certainly not as refined as Ontario, nor as chic I feel. I quite like the idea of the textured sides and the balconies appearing like lego, at least it breaks them up.

The podium is hideous however. It certainly shouldn't attach itself to the tower like that, nor should be simply be more of the tower but closer to the ground. Can't it incorporate more of the terracota colour from New Providence Wharf to make it look more like one continuous proposal? I also feel the side facing Aspen Way doesn't work - who's going to want a view overlooking that? (Or is it a case that this is the 'affordable' housing portion?) It also does absolutely nothing in urban terms of opening up this estate, but then we're faced with the gated community ideal all over again.

I'd hate to live in that building to be honest. The New Providence Wharf block overlooking the river was fine, this just smacks a bit of 'ooh phase one was a success, let's just churn out a similar design for phase 2'.

I like how it's taller though than Ontario. At least it gives that tower a brother that can be seen from the o2 across the river.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
yeah, why not!

I hope some sort of decent street life appears there soon as it's a wilderness right now. I wouldn't want to live in any of NPW as is.

·
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.
3,144 Posts
Right. Here we go.

I like it and I don't.
I like as DarJoLe says, the individual balconies represents different building blocks giving a sense of individualism. Also, I love the way the tower blends in with the smaller curved building. Very inviting. It's very vibrant and goes very well with the river. I would live in it providing I had the money.
However, I don't like the fact it doesn't complment the Ontario scheme at all. No terracota. The crown is not at a great enough gradient to consider it as lipstick shaped. I'd rather have an Ontario Tower copycat only just taller.

The colour scheme looks absolutely right for a tower near the river, however, it doesnt go well with the existing scheme.

If it was further away from the Ontario scheme, it would fit in perfectly.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I think it needs some refinement, but if approved I personally think it will work very well with Ontorio. It looks a little like Ontorio(though the crown needs a bit of refinement especially), but it is different at the same time.

1 - 20 of 621 Posts