Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to Tampa! As usual, Tampa screwed up the first time, will try to get it right the 2nd time... But it doesn't sound like they will.

Public art too bright for some on Bayshore; new site sought

By Kevin Wiatrowski | Tribune Staff
Published: August 13, 2014

TAMPA — After standing in downtown Tampa nearly 20 years, Yaacov Agam’s “Visual Welcome” is crated and on its way to South Florida to be restored.

The statue will return later this year to a new Tampa home. But now, the exact location is uncertain.

Mayor Bob Buckhorn had planned to place the statue on Bayshore Boulevard south of Bay to Bay Boulevard near The Academy of the Holy Names.

Nearby residents object.

“The size, illumination and placement of this artwork will be a distraction from the serenity and beauty of this area,” Bayshore Terrace resident Bree Fulcher wrote to City Councilman Harry Cohen on Tuesday. “The display would severely impact views from the building, especially for units like mine that face the bay.”

Click to read the full article...
http://tbo.com/arts_music/public-art-too-bright-for-some-on-bayshore-new-site-sought-20140813/

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I say leave it downtown and put it somewhere along the Riverwalk. It needs plenty more visual landmarks to serve as way points and points of interest along it.

Or better yet, put it out in front of Hixon Park at Ashley and Zack St. That would make a lot of sense since Ashley is considered a 'gateway' into downtown and Zack St is supposed to be a 'Promenade of the Arts'. Seems to me that this bright, movement based piece of art would serve as a strong visual focal point at the gateway to that promenade. Set it in the middle of a fountain or something (near the existing ones). People will take pictures next to it and kids will love it. (plus then it's off to the side of the road, not in drivers' line of sight as they drive)

I don't see how putting the artwork in the middle of a median on a 4-6 lane divided highway is good for drivers trying to pay attention to the meandering curves of the road, while there is this glaring visual distraction in the middle of it, right in their line of sight.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
The opposition against it is ridiculous. Sometimes idiocy needs to be overruled with reason. I see a couple trees as talk as the artwork in the picture, hopefully she is asking for all the trees along Bayshore to be removed too, so she can enjoy her view she stares at 24/7.

I would place this in Water Works Park, the colors seem like a nice natural compliment to the springs they have rebirth to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts