Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Skybar Mod
24,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thread for public spaces in the CBD, be it parks, gardens, plazas, squares, playgrounds, pedestrian walkways, etc.

Post pictures and discuss existing public spaces, new public spaces, public spaces that are under construction, and the refurbishment of public spaces.

This includes all areas of CBD, Braamfontein, Newtown, Hillbrow, Yeoville, etc.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
A thread for public spaces in the CBD, be it parks, gardens, plazas, squares, playgrounds, pedestrian walkways, etc.

Post pictures and discuss existing public spaces, new public spaces, public spaces that are under construction, and the refurbishment of public spaces.

This includes all areas of CBD, Braamfontein, Newtown, Hillbrow, Yeoville, etc.
No offense, but spending some time and using the search function will get you what you want.

There aren't that many spaces in Johannesburg CBD that it could keep a thread like this going, and the few that exist, have been covered in these threads before.

·
Skybar Mod
24,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:cry:

Well I've been going through Google Earth and there's actually a lot, many of them are just small places with a few benches and trees and some are larger but theres actually many. I'm waiting for Jakes to come save the day.

Also, most forums have a public spaces thread.

·
23,338 Posts
No offense, but spending some time and using the search function will get you what you want.

There aren't that many spaces in Johannesburg CBD that it could keep a thread like this going, and the few that exist, have been covered in these threads before.
No offense, but how about contributing something other than complaints once in a while instead of bitching about people actually trying to do something proactive?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think a better thread would be parks and public spaces of the wider city. The CBD does not really have any nice parks (Joubert Park is the only proper green space and it is not an area that middle class Joburgers would dream of venturing too). The wider city is full of fantastic parks though: far more than any other of the big cities in SA and they are generally well maintained and safe (especially Delta Park, the Dam, Mushroom Park etc).

My favourite is Delta Park: fantastic place to take the dogs for a walk and generally very well kept and pretty safe too.

As I keep trying to point out (especially to non Joburgers): the CBD is no longer the city centre and a thread on the parks there is about as relevant as a thread on the parks of Croydon to a discussion on London. I will try to post some pics of Delta Park (which is a bit like Hyde Park in London and has great views of the urban forrest and the Sandton, Rosebank and Hillbrow skylines too.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There is a crane stretching up the entire side of that ABSA building in downtown JHB. Does anyone have any clue what its for?

·
23,153 Posts
The wider city is full of fantastic parks though: far more than any other of the big cities in SA and they are generally well maintained and safe (especially Delta Park, the Dam, Mushroom Park etc).
Thats subjective when you look at the vast array of parks, valleys, hiking trails and natural open bush conservation spaces within Durbs.

I would love to see these Joburg parks you refer, because besides the mushroom one in sandton the others have disappointed me. i think emerentia has so much potential but needs some tlc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts