SkyscraperCity banner

1181 - 1200 of 1533 Posts

·
If seagulls could talk...
700 Posts
Once Queen Street is pedestrianised, we won't need all these shared spaces to provide us with the cafe seating and amenity we want.
We will actually need back-end utility spaces much more so than we do now. (depending on whether Queen St is turned into a glorified 'bus depot').

It may be simplistic but surely having street furniture and plantings in "the road" would have slowed down traffic and given a clear visual signal that this was a different environment
My thoughts exactly. The spaces need fine tuning and more 'stuff' to fill them up.
Buildings on Elliot Street etc will need time to re-configure their layouts to front the space.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Why would Queen Street end up as a bus depot? There's only a single bus running up it and no plans to have any others. In fact the long term plan is for trams to return.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Seems like a pointless upgrade to me, they could have better spent the money on shared spaces on other smaller streets around the city, Commerce will remain as unpleasent as its always been.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Seems like a pointless upgrade to me, they could have better spent the money on shared spaces on other smaller streets around the city, Commerce will remain as unpleasent as its always been.
The area was seriously in need of an upgrade, the footpaths were pretty grotty along with a few of the buildings however just like other areas that have been upgraded we should see some improvement here also.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I imgaine this area will be the next big thing. Britomart can't keep expanding forever and with the mix of heritage and new buildings and proximity to Britomart it seems only natural that the overflow will head across the road. I fact you can already see improvements to Fort Street precint.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This whole area is already hugely improved. Hopefully the old Auckland Star site gets filled in the next few years, that would top it off nicely.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
^^

Over the last two years we have seen The Coffee Club, Sals New York Pizza (who deliver on segways) Burrito Place all open up and improve what was a nasty nasty corner of Commerce Street. Hopefully after the upgrade Angus will open their Commerce Street door as well as it seems foolish for people to have to walk around the entire block just to get in. It's all good and can only get better.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I always wondered why Angus Steak House don't open that door. It seems weird having a frontage on a road and choosing to make the alley behind your restaurant the main entrance.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
It's not a pointless upgrade, as the widening of Commerce St's footpaths helps improve the connection of the Britomart precinct with the rest of the city.
If you look at the plans you can see very little of the footpath is widened and they're still leaving dozens of on-street carparks despite the fact that the area is overloaded with carparking buildings. My comment about it being a waste of time is based on the fact that they doing very little more than widening the footpath in a couple of places, in most places it remains the same width. We're getting nice clean new footpaths but not much else. I don't think it goes far enough and keeping onstreet parking and left hand turning lanes isn't necessary.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think the upgrade strikes the right balance, I mean they are removing so many cars spaces off Fort St and the surroundings you have to leave some parking I suppose.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
1181 - 1200 of 1533 Posts