SkyscraperCity banner

What is the most important issue for public transport

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted this poll linked to the other thread but was too late.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With a greater frequency, something like reliability wouldn't be so great an issue as it is at present.

Security and cost are also important to me.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
I seem to have voted with the majority, but I don't think you constructed your survey very well. I wondeer what the people in Warandyte think.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yardmaster said:
I seem to have voted with the majority, but I don't think you constructed your survey very well. I wondeer what the people in Warandyte think.
The poll includes most of the important issues of public transport. I wanted to find out which of these was the most important. (There maybe some more!)

I empathise with those in Warrandyte. I used to live in Rowville.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
The trouble for your survey, is that the people who vote here are probably the people who use public transport. I basically chose my location so that I would get frequent and easily available public transport - at least a 10-minute train frequency to the city, and a 10- minute or better bus service as well (which Ive used at times when there've been service break-downs or strikes).

Speed isn't a factor, since the train will always get me into town just as fast, unless there's a serious outage. Nor is "reliability", since if trains run 10 minutes late, well, if they run every 10 minutes, then you'll catch the one that was meant to leave 10 minutes earlier. Security? Well the trains are so packed these days (I counted more than 40 people boarding my train to the city from my station at c. 2pm) ... that equates to c. 250 people per hour off-peak .. at least if I get attacked, there'll be a witness or two.

The same might not follow in Warrandyte.

Some other comments:

• today i attempted to travel from Footscray to Parliament via Flinders St. At Flinders St. 3 trains in succession departed eastwards into the "Northern Loop" (where I wanted to go!) before my train was dispatched ... there were some somewhat irate passengers by the time we got to Parliament!

• At South Kensington- surprise, surprise- the XPT had been put out to grass amongst the freight cars, since it couldn't return to Sydney on account of the accident this morning at Benalla. I guess it'll be there for a few days yet.

• Since I often travel along the Great Ocean Road by public transport, again, I live where live. The Geelong trains stop at Footscray

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yardmaster said:
The trouble for your survey, is that the people who vote here are probably the people who use public transport.
This poll is just a simple poll don't get too fused about it. Though it is interesting that the majority believe frequency is the most important.

If you want to be pedantic you could have two surveys that polls the most important issues to those that use the system, and those that don't. Do you want to start thoses polls?

All of the factors are important not everyone uses the system during peak hour(s).

Security is important. I have witness personally an incident that needed security immediately but there was just cameras. The incident was reported but that did not deal with it immediately. (Even with Good Samaritans!)

Speed is important if you want people to get out of their cars and use public transport. It has to be on par with a car. Average speed above 100kph.

Reliablilty is important if you are force to wait at the station for 30 miinutes because one train is cancelled and the next is overcrowded.

When you use a car do you wait 30 minutes before you turn the ignition key?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
dunwyn said:
... Speed is important if you want people to get out of their cars and use public transport. It has to be on par with a car. Average speed above 100kph.

Reliablilty is important if you are force to wait at the station for 30 miinutes because one train is cancelled and the next is overcrowded.

When you use a car do you wait 30 minutes before you turn the ignition key?
Public Transport will always be something different to private transport, and I note one family close to me that have waited closer to 30 days rather than 30 minutes after turning the ignition key, but it's certainly kept the local gossip running ..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Where is all of the above?

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
While security is a major issue, I think it's handled quite well the way it is. It's unrealistic to expect guards in every train or every station. I'm sure if that happened, people would be up in arms about what a waste of money that would be. Normal staff members can't (and shouldn't) handle these - you either need trained security or police.

On a late train coming home from Anzac day, a brawl broke out in my carriage - the people involved ended up being restrained by the other passengers, while the driver stopped at Caulfield and waited for the police who took care of the situation very quickly, and passengers were instructed to change to the train on the adjacent platform.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts