Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Transit Researcher
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Public Transportation Mobile Apps - Journey Planner & Tracking

Public Transportation Mobile Apps for your Androids and iPhones are getting more useful in Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia in general. Some of the ones I use are:

(1) mySPAD by Mampu, 12 Mar 2014
(2) RapidKL Travel Guide by ePetrol Holding Sdn Bhd, 11 Mar 2014, ver 1.2
(3) Moovit Live Transport Planner by Moovit, 27 Apr 2014, ver 3.4.0.75
(4) Google Maps Directions Transit by Google, 4 April 2014

Did I miss any useful ones?

See also https://plus.google.com/+SMSabriIsmail/posts/bkRZYD4TvH1 .

·
Transit Researcher
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The mobile app mySPAD is written by Mampu for SPAD. It is a good effort but suffers when compared with SPAD's counterpart in Singapore.

LTA SG excellent mobile app MyTransport Singapore for public transportation passengers, covers almost all needs.
(1) Bus Arrival Time, Bus Services, MRT/LRT, MyConcierge, Traffic Smart, Parking Guide, Happenings, ERP Rates Gantries, Snap&Send
(2) Premium Buses, Shuttle Buses, Nite Buses, Traffic News, Traffic Camera, Traffic Speed, AppsZone, COE, Taxi
(3) Park&Ride, Cycling, Expressway Assist, Journey Planner linking to 6 different service.

I hope newer version of mySPAD will include more MyTransportSG features.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I actually used MyTeksi for the first time yesterday at TBS when my bus from the north got stuck in the post merdeka holiday rush, the LRT was offline when i reached TBS and many other bus passenger clogged the taxi queue hence i registered MyTeksi and called a taxi which came in 5 minutes.

And just this morning i used Myteksi to call a taxi for my cousin to the LRT station from our condo who just came frim Switzerland in the weekends.

Myteksi is fantastic. I believe many commuters in KL will use it to use taxi as a reliable mode of gtanslort. No more waiting for taxis by the side of the road and be exasperated seeing taxis pass by occupied.

I plan to use Uber next. :cheers:

·
Transit Researcher
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Myteksi is fantastic. [...]I plan to use Uber next.
Yes, on demand public transport is great where the passengers can afford it and the roads capacity allows it. Better when roads prioritize it by HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles) lanes or similar. Taxis does complement public transport for the last mile connection as well for under served routes.

Care to give short reviews of both Myteksi and Uber mobile apps, SgWay?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes, on demand public transport is great where the passengers can afford it and the roads capacity allows it. Better when roads prioritize it by HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles) lanes or similar. Taxis does complement public transport for the last mile connection as well for under served routes.

Care to give short reviews of both Myteksi and Uber mobile apps, SgWay?
Have not used uber yet.

As for Myteksi.. The app is really easy to use, open the app,which after registering shoukd already have your name and mobile number,you just type the destination, after which it will give the distance from your location and the estimated rate, once you think its OK, you click next and the app will signal nearby taxi drivers,when a driver responds to the request,the taxi's plate number will appear and estimated arrival time will appear on the screen. You can also call the taxi driver on the app and the taxi driver can call you. For my case the taxi driver called me to confirm my location. It took less than 5 minutes for the taxi to arrive at TBS. When I called one for my cousin, it also tool only severak minutes for one to arrive.

·
Transit Researcher
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Have not used uber yet. As for Myteksi.. The app is really easy to use [...]
I finally installed both taxi mobile apps on my Android today;
(1) Uber https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubercab&hl=en
(2) MyTeksi https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myteksi.passenger&hl=en (it seems there is also internationalized version called GrabTaxi https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grabtaxi.passenger&hl=en)

Major difference between the two is mode of payment. Upon registration Uber required phone number, credit card details & scan image. Where as MyTeksi only required phone number, and verification of the phone via code sent by SMS, payment will be by cash. That is as far as I gone this time. Will book using either tomorrow.

Today, I actually just picked up a taxi waiting at the Taxi Rank in front of KTM Klang. The one I picked, didn't use meter, "kereta sewa" he said, and wanted RM20 for my trip home (about 5km or so). When I get home and installed both Uber and MyTeksi, I found both gave quotes of about RM9-RM14 for the same trip. I could have saved myself some money using either mobile apps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
These Malaysian Taxi Apps are surprisingly very good and should improve the taxi situation in KL somewhat. But plenty will still be caught by surprise, cause not everybody knows about the app, especially for tourist and not everyone would be carrying around a smartphone for that matter.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
IMO Myteks sould only register certain taxi drivers to maintain quality. For example, I hope they exclude the taxis that uses shitty Saga. Nowadaye, I avoid any old Saga taxi which I think are coffin on wheels. But I have encountered drivers using Exora with despicabke attitude, so MyTeksi should allow users to complain if any MyTeksi drivers misbehave.:eek:hno: Perhaps problematic drivers are penalized by being excluded from the MyTeksi list for several months or banned from MyTeksi all together.

Its one reason people like using Uber, the cars and drivers used are maintained to a strict standard. I disagree with the banning of Uber as Uber will compel the lousy taxi companies to reform.

And hopefully maybe MyTeski can have function so that people can decline taxi drives with attitudes and who accumulated alot of complains. Sounds harsh, but that is the right move to reform the taxi service, by putting the lousy cab drivers out of our sight and in my experience we have alot of them.

In Singapore, any taxi drivers who misbehave and gets three comlplains, the taxi companies will terminate the drivers employment ASAP. Its the same in Australia where users can lodge complain to the taxi companies if tye drivers misbehave.

·
Transit Researcher
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Transit Researcher
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buletin SPAD (Edisi 1 | 2017) - Aplikasi Journey Planner

[...]
Aplikasi perancang perjalanan ini yang belum diberikan nama rasmi lagi, pada masa ini sedang dibangunkan oleh Bahagian NKRA SPAD di dalam versi Android dan iOS. Usaha-usaha bagi membangunkan aplikasi ini telah bermula pada Jun 2015 dan dijangka akan dilancarkan pada Julai 2017.
Buat masa ini, aplikasi ini sedang menjalani pengujian dalaman (beta testing) oleh hampir 60 orang sukarelawan. Para pengguna yang ingin menyumbang kepada pengujian aplikasi ini, boleh menghubungi Bahagian NKRA SPAD melalui emel kepada [email protected] atau [email protected] .
SPAD's Journey Planner App for Android/IOS still under beta testing until July 2017.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Speaking of officially sanctioned public transportation mobile app, Penang has PiTTS (Penang Intelligent Transport and Traffic System) which apparently linked to RapidPenang's GPS system to give bus movement information. Judging from comments on their Google Playstore page however, there are still a lot of room of improvement.

The developer for PiTTS apparently also developed MyBEST specifically catering for commuter travelling on the morning and evening rush hour BEST (Bridge Express Shuttle Transit) service by RapidPenang.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Speaking of officially sanctioned public transportation mobile app, Penang has PiTTS (Penang Intelligent Transport and Traffic System) which apparently linked to RapidPenang's GPS system to give bus movement information. Judging from comments on their Google Playstore page however, there are still a lot of room of improvement.

The developer for PiTTS apparently also developed MyBEST specifically catering for commuter travelling on the morning and evening rush hour BEST (Bridge Express Shuttle Transit) service by RapidPenang.
I never saw the app getting any update since its launch though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SPAD developing apps to promote public transport usage

Monday, 30 Oct 2017

PETALING JAYA: The Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) is leveraging on technology to achieve a 40% public transport commuting trips by 2030 compared to only 20% today, according to its head of NKRA projects division Ahmad Rahdi Maarof.

In a Smart Cities Conference organised by the Malaysian-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Ahmad Rahdi said SPAD is developing different applications for different needs and functions.

It is expected to launch an application known as Journey Planner App by the end of this year. This app provides point-to-point public transport options. Last year, it launched MeterOn, a mobile APP which is dedicated for taxi and express bus passengers to lodge complaints directly to SPAD.

SPAD will also be implementing a one-card payment system for all public transport in 2019.

“Currently, only 20% of our daily commute trips were made on public transport. Although this is higher than the 11% some years ago, we would like to double this. Malaysia has a car ownership of 93%, which is ranked the third highest in the world.

“By 2030, there will be 75% of urbanisation rate in Malaysia. Given the growing population and the increasing needs of commute, reducing the dependence on private vehicles and promoting smart mobilities are the future direction for a sustainable living,” said Ahmad.

One of the SPAD’s initiatives is the implementation of Performance Monitoring Hub System (PMHS). All SPAD buses will be connected to this centralised system in order to monitor the service availability, trip compliance, and schedule adherence.

“Journey Planner App provide trip options based on PMHS’ data. Users can search for the most effective and cheapest way to reach one location by public transport. For buses, the results shown will include the real distance and estimated time of arrival of a moving bus,” added Ahmad.

MeterOn App is offers a channel for taxi and express bus passengers to report directly to SPAD about speeding and bad driving behaviour.

By simply entering the vehicle registration number, passengers can authenticate a driver, check current offences, and view other passengers’ feedback and experiences, he said.

Users can also track their journey, estimate the fare, and send SOS alerts in case of an emergency. A report can be lodged by the passenger if the taxi driver commits an offence.

Also on SPAD’s horizon is the Integrated Common Payment System (ICPS), a frictionless and seamless public transport payment system that cuts out transfer fee and promotes multi-modal public transport use.

“ICPS has a similar concept as Hong Kong’s Octopus Card. Passengers can make payment to all kinds of public transport with one card.

“By using ICPS, fares will be calculated as one-trip, based on the starting and end point of the journey, regardless the changes between different public transport models, such as from KTM to LRT,” said Ahmad.
Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/business/...oping-apps-to-promote-public-transport-usage/

·
Registered
467 Posts
Cross-posting from Kuching city thread: finally a digital presence of things to come? catBus route information app in Kuching now launched in beta. I wonder if Infollective is the officially sanctioned app developer (i.e. appointed by Konsortium BBK, the SBST operator in Kuching) and most importantly, are we going to have our own branding (catBus. Slightly cliched but alrighty then) or we are obliged to use the MyBas branding. (still feel is a bit dull).

Catbus (SBST Kuching) beta app available for download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ing&pcampaignid=APPU_1_n0cYWvOdNYf4vgTzrYa4Ag, 27 routes can be viewed in the app.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts