Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't exactly breaking news, but I haven't seen it discussed here. Publix is expanding its organic GreenWise product line into its own dedicated stores and Tampa is going to be one of the first 4 markets. The store is going to be on S Howard, near Cleveland St (a few blocks up from Whaley's). Personally I'd like to see this store in Channelside, but I can't be too greedy.

Some interesting elements:

• Three story design, store on ground floor with parking on two levels above that. Large elevators and a escalator type machine that moves shopping carts will be included.
  • "Publix GreenWise's whole focus will be health, organic, natural foods and prepared foods,"
  • Possible LEED certified green design
  • Between 36-39,000 sqft.
  • Slated to open in late 2008 or early 2009

The St Pete Times recently talked about the store, but didn't include any renderings. If anyone has one I would love to see it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Three story design, store on ground floor with parking on two levels above that. Large elevators and a escalator type machine that moves shopping carts will be included......
That sounds absolutely perfect for downtown... Throw one of those in Channelside.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I remember this getting approved. I think originally Publix wanted the parking under the store, and they would have allowed the public to use those spaces when the store was closed. People didnt like that idea, so they moved the store to ground level with parking above...and no public use of parking spaces.

I think it is good for the area.

·
10,618 Posts
I couln't find a rendering but here is a page at publix.com describing more of the features of the 4 Green wise stores planned including the one in South Tampa.

Anyway this would go better at the base of a project in Channelside, along Adamo, in Rocky Point, or in one of the Novare projects, but it is still a plus for South Tampa.

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grand Central is still looking for a grocery store, but since it wasn't really designed for one it would be weird getting to and from your car. That place is a maze to start with, regardless if it's easy to get around with a shopping cart. Not to mention having to pay to park for your groceries, that wouldn't be popular.

I dig the parking structure on top plan, that allows for street level interaction.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
ISn't the point that most of your shopping - except major trips - would be done by waling anyway? Isn't that urban living?

(and before I get snide replies, I have done that - you get one of those old lady carts and toss your bags into it)

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ISn't the point that most of your shopping - except major trips - would be done by waling anyway? Isn't that urban living?
Yep, but the area isn't dense enough to wholly support a full size walk-to grocery. Especially with the neighborhood being pretty much without families, not as many mouths to feed. Besides, Ybor residents would definitely head on over and they aren't walking through Central Park :p.

·
Registered
613 Posts
When you live within walking distance to a grocery store, you tend to make more frequent trips for only a few items. I like a block from the Kash n' Karry, er Sweetbay and I have walked there several times. I stopped going because I dislike their produce and their selection has gone done greatly and they raised their prices. Will Greenwise be on the Southwest corner of Howard? There is an empty lot there. That will be close enough for me to walk, if i am still living here when it opens.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Right, so parking is less important. You need some, but not so much - let me just interject here that the Kash and Karry on Swann helped ruin Hyde Park by permanently putting a big gap in the possibility of having a walking district from Hyde Park to Howard - which sort of developed - except for a few big gaps - like the Kash and Karry, the park and the Post apartments, all of which could have been done in an urban way rather than the way they were done. Typicl Tampa govt screw up . . . now they are blocking decent development on Howard . . . THey will never learn

·
Registered
279 Posts
I believe the Publix is actually going in at the N.E. corner of Armenia and Azeele. They fenced off the area a few weeks ago , but have not yet started to tear down any of the existing structures

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
Right, so parking is less important. You need some, but not so much - let me just interject here that the Kash and Karry on Swann helped ruin Hyde Park by permanently putting a big gap in the possibility of having a walking district from Hyde Park to Howard - which sort of developed - except for a few big gaps - like the Kash and Karry, the park and the Post apartments, all of which could have been done in an urban way rather than the way they were done. Typicl Tampa govt screw up . . . now they are blocking decent development on Howard . . . THey will never learn
Totally agreed... It's astonishing to see them screwing up the continued development of SoHo, now that developers and businesses finally give a toss. Hell, even Bern's almost couldn't build it's low-rise project, and they're probably one of the foremost reasons SoHo even exists as a desirable place to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I still don't feel this is a good idea...

I realize, without further research that this supermarket is 'green' which sets it apart from conventional foods sold at a Publix. To me this project speaks on using an 'aisle' from their typical store onto an empty lot. More so I believe, that eventually the Publix on Bayshore will be sold off because they own this land (not a developer, which is typical). Back in 1997 it was purchased for 2 million and now it is worth 5 million. Plus a Publix building that size does not cost millions. Despite real estate is somewhat capped, I don't think it will greatly affect zoned commercial land that is prime (I'm looking at the acreage, not the building). If this happens, Publix will sell, bank roll and still be able to have the market on the Platt/Azeele Corridor.

Since this Bayshore lot is zoned 1100, commerical..It would be nice to be a mixed commercial use building once Publix leaves. But then again, money and lawyers can override zoning easily.

It gets hard to love my native city at times….

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
I definitely see Publix eventually leaving the Bayshore location. With the profits, they could invest in multiple parcels ringing the DT area, where their investment potential would be maximized, and they could continue to be ahead of the population growth curve in urban Tampa, as they have done for some time now... Also, don't they also have plans for another store near Adamo and 19th or something? I thought I heard something about that somewhere...

And further out in time, I expect to see someone, if not Publix, build a grocery store either in the Tampa Heights area, or a later phase of Central Park... Or both. (I expect the market to get oversaturated at some point, as growing markets always do)

·
Registered
23 Posts
True, they might. Anyone can play the game.
Um very few own a commercially zoned lots (because few exist) on Bayshore or more so have a few mill to buyout so I don't see your point. This is a very powerful position to be in and I don't see 'anyone' in this type of real estate game which why our city gets screwed most of the time.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts