1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Publix to buy 49 Florida Albertsons stores

By Mark Albright, Times Staff Writer
Posted: Jun 09, 2008 01:29 PM

Publix Super Markets Inc. has agreed to buy more than half the Albertsons stores remaining across Florida, including more than a dozen in the Tampa Bay area, as the highly competitive grocery war claims another casualty.

The sale of 49 Albertsons in the state includes an almost total retreat from the Tampa Bay area. Albertsons stores in Largo Mall, N Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa and Gulf-to-Bay Boulevard in Clearwater will be among the 44 Albertsons statewide to survive.

Publix said it will hold job fairs to interview an estimated 5,000 Albertsons workers whose jobs are being eliminated who might be interested in starting out with Publix. Neither company disclosed the price or terms, but the sale is slated to be completed by September.

The sale also signals a shake-up in grocery store locations because many of the stores Publix is buying are within a block or two of existing Publix locations. Many rival grocers, everybody from Winn-Dixie to Whole Foods and Sweetbay Supermarket, have been sizing up the Alberstons locations for more than a year.

Publix said it will not make a decision on what to do with duplicate stores until the sale is complete.

Now a distant fifth place in food retailing market share in the Tampa Bay area behind Publix and Wal-Mart, Albertsons was struggling well before the parent was broken in two and sold two years ago. The Florida division is part of Albertsons LLC, which was taken private by Cerberus Capital and has been slowly whittled down from more than 655 stores to about 300 in seven states.

Here's a list of the stores that Albertsons is selling to Publix:

2770 West Bay Drive, Belleair Bluffs

26841 S Tamiami Trail, Bonita Springs

4651 Cortez Road, Bradenton

127 Cape Coral Parkway, Cape Coral

1735 NE Pine Island Road, Cape Coral

26583 U.S. Highway 19 N, Clearwater

1921 N Belcher Road, Clearwater

1295 S Missouri Ave., Clearwater

10018 Griffin Road, Cooper City

2201 University Drive, Coral Springs

2100 Saxon Blvd., Deltona

16970 San Carlos Blvd., Fort Myers

13401 Summerlin Road, Fort Myers

610 N Eglin Parkway, Fort Walton Beach

3930 SW Archer Road, Gainesville

870 Village Oak Lane, Heathrow

12101 Little Road, Hudson

17400 Alt. A1A, Jupiter

1566 Bella Cruz Drive, Lady Lake

3825 East Bay Drive, Largo

13031 Walsingham Road, Largo

2381 State Road 434, Longwood

8833 N Tamiami Trail, Naples

3350 Tamiami Trail E, Naples

7524 Dr. Phillips Blvd., Orlando

440 N Orlando Avenue, Orlando

10250 Curry Ford Road, Orlando

4950 Belle Terre Parkway, Palm Coast

35439 U.S. Highway 19 N, Palm Harbor

500 E Lake Road, Palm Harbor

1101 Eighth Ave. W, Palmetto

9005 U.S. Highway 301 N, Parrish

5055 N Ninth Ave., Pensacola

2180 W Nine Mile Road, Pensacola

9251 University Parkway, Pensacola

5998 Mobile Highway, Pensacola

4701 Park Blvd., Pinellas Park

1181 S University Drive, Plantation

4840 S Tamiami Trail, Sarasota

3610 U.S. 27 N, Sebring

7880 113th St., Seminole

1075 S Pasadena Ave., South Pasadena

3700 Fourth St. N, St. Petersburg

3030 54th Ave. S, St. Petersburg

3900 66th St. N, St. Petersburg

1925 N Monroe St., Tallahassee

3521 Thomasville Road, Tallahassee

8701 W Hillsborough Ave., Tampa

3838 Britton Plaza, Tampa

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/article614061.ece#infobox

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even though, no one else has posted here. It has been a while since the deal closed. Which former Albertsons locations have re-opened as Publix stores in your area? So far in Tampa Bay, two locations have opened, including the Britton Plaza location in South Tampa.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
In Miami, of the Albertson's that I've seen close down (whether because Publix bought them or not), have remained abandoned. A lot of times there's a Publix near or next to the Albertson's, so I don't know what they plan on doing with them.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think overall, the process is going very slow, which I've expected all along. I'm sure because of the economy and other factors, that Publix is not making haste to open up too many stores right now. Including any former Albertsons stores.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^
Yeah, I've been hearing that some of these spaces were quite large. Was this a standalone Albertsons? Or was it part of a plaza?

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
^^
technically, it was a standalone building incorporated into the WP Village, to the south of the theatre complex of buildings. That Albertsons used to sell lawn chairs and what not alal Home Depot style stuff it was so big.

This new Publix... about half of all their product is Greenwise stuff, mixed into every aisle.

And the longstanding Publix in that neighborhood is only 2 lights down Orlando Ave. at Fairbanks. Talk about having the corner on a market...

BTW, this new acquisition of stores might be why Publix announced proposals for the new 1M SQ FT distribution center at Lee Vista & 528 a few months ago.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^
Perhaps so. I think with a lot of the larger stores, Publix ends up placing a larger selection of something inside. In this case, you have a larger GreenWise selection. In some Hispanic neighborhoods, the selection of Hispanic foods is larger. That was the case in a Publix conversion in south Pinellas County.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I posted this on the Tampa-based thread, but thought I'd share this with the rest of you. Basically, I'm comparing what some Albertsons stores look like in comparison to a Publix conversion in Tampa. The Albertsons store in South Tampa & I believe also Carrollwood (North Tampa) were remodeled during the earlier 2000s in a similar fashion as the three first pictures below. The signage and flooring were exactly the same, as well as the wall paneling.

In the photos of the Publix conversion, the same paneling that Albertsons put up during that past remodel are of course now painted in Publix colors. Red being the meat department, blue for the frozen foods, yellow for dairy, and the list goes on.

The Floral department looked similar to this. Again, notice the elaborate molding and wall decor.

And compare these pics to what the Britton Plaza and other similar locations look like now....

Notice the green flooring in the last photo. I'm pretty sure that was left behind from Albertsons. Otherwise it would have been removed and replaced with the white tile. The flooring behind the meat counter was left behind as well. I think the consensus for now was, "Oh what a coincidence! It's green! Let's keep it til the next remodel!"

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Albertsons research project

As I mentioned on the Albertsons/Publix thread, I've been doing a research project for my Business Law class at HCC about Albertsons Inc., the original grocery company that was started by Joe Albertson in Boise, Idaho. My main focus of the report was to summarize the history of the company, why it ended up being sold off and split up, and whether the actions of corporate management were ethical.

If anyone would like a copy, you may request one by emailing me at [email protected]. In the subject line, please put "Albertsons report request". And in the message body, let me know who you are and that you are from SSC that way I don't accidentally toss your message into the junk folder.

Also, let me know if you have Office 2007 or Office 2003 or older. The report format is Office 2007, so I will need to convert it if your Office-Word is 2003 or older.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
just applied for a job at publix 17/92 winter park village
I have heard some good things about how employees are well treated ? I am not sure if it is true or not
anyone working there ? or have worked there before ?
what is or was your experience there like ?
I hope to get full time position
jobs are so hard to get nowadays
I am unemployed ( laid off ) since january28, 2009 and it sucks !

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
^^
From what I hear, overall, they are treated well. I have a few friends who work at Tampa locations. One complains that she doesn't get too many hours though.

I wish you good luck with everything. As far as getting a "full time" position though, that doesn't happen these days unless you're promoted to a manager position. In my area (South Tampa) Publix isn't even hiring cause they tend to shift around employees from store to store.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
^^
From what I hear, overall, they are treated well. I have a few friends who work at Tampa locations. One complains that she doesn't get too many hours though.

I wish you good luck with everything. As far as getting a "full time" position though, that doesn't happen these days unless you're promoted to a manager position. In my area (South Tampa) Publix isn't even hiring cause they tend to shift around employees from store to store.
thanks yep U are right with this economy I will be lukcy just to have a job
so many people are out of a job
let us hope this does not last too long and drag

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I'll tell you right now working for Publix sucks, they treat you just as bad as any other low wage place. Another thing is from what I hear Publix is on a hiring freeze and they are just moving employees around like hart said. If things were a bit better and I didn't need tuition reimbursement I'd go to Sams Club or Walmart, or better yet Aldi.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^
Yep, its not looking good jobwise right now. The retail company I work for is just like everyone else, they can't even give out raises cause they simply can't afford it. Our department alone is only allocated to 100 hours and I'm only working two to three days per week right now.

It really sucks out there.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
wow you are so right
publix called me passed the quizz the drug test criminal background I am all clear but now they want me to work only 1 to 2 days a week ? for 10 hours
that is all that is available
I can do better
resumes / applications all over well
I have a full time job now called JOB SEARCHING
I am the type of person who never gives up I will find something
thanks for info

1 - 20 of 34 Posts