SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2139 Posts

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Question . . .

I was just about to start an item on the PUBS Thread, about some pubs I used to visit years ago that are no longer with us, when I thought - The Pubs thread is great for all the current chat and news about what's going on NOW, but sometimes peoples memories can get a bit lost on there.

So I thought, what about a "Pubs of the Past" thread??

It works well with the RETAIL thread . . . there is now also the separate Retail Memories thread.

How about the same for PUBS - what do people think?

Great idea NH - go for it, I assume this also refers to pubs which have changed their names, i.e. pub still there but under a different name (heinous as that is!)

Yes Steve, any aspect of "Pubs of the Past" that you like! Stupidly re-named pubs are a great annoyance to me too.

So, here is the new thread, started on 30th April 2012, but a fair number of posts from before that date have initially been pulled into the thread - so there's already a bit of a backdated story about our old pubs in here!

Even this "opening post" has been backdated!!

SO, lets kick off with a trip back to that mythical pub from the 1970s, The Geordie Pride . . .

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welcome to the . . .
GEORDIE PRIDE . . for a pint and a bite to eat, at AMAZING PRICES!

It was a MASSIVE place, stretching the entire length of the new building, in the basement, with entrances in Grainger Street and Neville Street . . .

It was also made up of a large number of different styled areas, or 'rooms', one of which was actually made up (at least in part) from actual artefacts from the old Douglas Hotel, and was called the 'Douglas Vaults'. PHOTOS of this area, are below . . .

and here is the quite recognisable (from the above re-make) ORIGINAL "Back Douglas" bar of the old Douglas Hotel itself . . .

Now, the "Geordie Pride" was not a copy of the pre-existing place in the Piccadilly Circus area of Central London (at the time) called The Cockney Pride but it was definitely designed as a sort of 'rival' to it. Partially as a result of this, the place eventually became dogged by (often) 'football related' fighting!! The book "Heady Days, a History of Newcastle's Public Houses" describes the Geordie Prides relatively short life . .

Advertisement in the 'Sunday Sun', on February 29th 1976 . .

So, there you have it . . THE GEORDIE PRIDE!

When it opened in the early 70s, at the same time a 'small' upstairs pub opened, called "The Green Dolphin". It is now still a pub in 2009, currently called The Head of Steam.

That upstairs bar was a separate place, but the 'big attraction' was the entire basement . . . filled by the (then) very famous and huge 'Geordie Pride'. The Geordie Pride, whose fame does not seem to have survived all that much longer than the place itself!!

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
now that is cool.

the head of steam has an underground section for live music, in fact the layout looks the same as the photo with the guy at the bar, albeit everything stripped back. it's quite small though.

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now that is cool.

the head of steam has an underground section for live music, in fact the layout looks the same as the photo with the guy at the bar, albeit everything stripped back. it's quite small though.
Perhaps the Green Dolphin, when it bacame the Head of Steam, took over a small discrete area of the former Geordie Pride?

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
But the beer selection, NH, the beer! it's enough to turn a chap TT. Still, I could go with a few hot pork baps, followed by a Collier's Grill and a Grey's Monument (a dish that ought to be resurrected).
In those days I used to love 'Ex' and 'Scotch', mostly, though Scotch isn't shown on the price list, it is in one of the photos (or, is it what is called "70/-" perhaps, can't remember). Anyway, it was certainly sold there.

I did not got go to the Geordie Pride as much as I did the Portland and the Burton House (with an occasional visit to the Trent or the Telegraph) in those days.

Oh, and also the Lonsdale, the Haymarket, the Midland, the Forth and the original version of the Bacchus on High Bridge.

Hmmm, no wonder I don't remember much about those days!!

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brilliant photo's NH

Am i right in assuming that the building to the left (in the first photo) is roughly where the Newcastle Building Society is????
Yes, that building is exactly where you say it is (was) and that very building just happened to (eventually) become MY "in-town Local" pub, for most of the 1980s, called THE BURTON HOUSE. It was next to the Newcastle BBC building (until they moved to the 'Pink Palace' at Spital Tongues/Fenham Barracks, where they are now). The BBC building was built in 1825, by Dobson who designed it as a 'lying in' Hospital, which it was for many years until the BBC took it over. The Lying In Hospital was a charitable provision for married women. It catered for the latter stages of pregnancy and childbirth.

I think I spent more time in the Burton House there (through the 1980s, along with The Portland next door) than I spent at home!

I had a lot of good friends in there, including the bar staff and managers, one of whom was the Bill Mitchell I mentioned on the DIVERSION thread, who gave me my two missing copies of Diversion!

Here are some photos (to compare with the one you are referring to) showing The Burton House (and also the Portland) in relation to the BBC building.

The Burton House building, at roughly the same angle as the photo you refer to (it has "Newcastle Ales" written on the side) with (also) The Portland in the foreground next to the BSM building . .

Looking from the 'other angle', the Burton House buildings are on the right, the Portland on the left, and the BBC building in the middle. Note, the Portland has now had its top floor "chopped off" (it was in a dangerously delapidated state!) . .

The new 'Newcastle Building Society' buildings now surround the former-BBC building. NOTE, this photo was taken before the BLUE CARPET was built (or should we say, LAID?) . .

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
thanks for those photos which are the best ive seen of these pubs despite having a lot of books on the subject.they were a loss to the city centre and show how you cant just create character and heritage (which they had in spades) with poor substitutes like old orleans et al. i spent many an hour on the portlands bar billiard table which are a rarity these days.

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for those photos which are the best ive seen of these pubs despite having a lot of books on the subject.they were a loss to the city centre and show how you cant just create character and heritage (which they had in spades) with poor substitutes like old orleans et al. i spent many an hour on the portlands bar billiard table which are a rarity these days.
For me, at the Portland, in the far top left corner cubicle-area, it was the "pinball machine" . . particularly the 'Gogar' one that was there for what seemed like years. Thats where we all used to meet and congregate!

"half past five at the Portland" !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Is that opposite Nexus house?
glad you brought that site up Chris, as we can also discuss it in this thread. the site was planned for an eight storey apartment block and i think has pp for this. atm it remains an empty plot bordered in by security fencing, after the previous pub The Carlisle (which had itself been closed for decades) was knocked down. i'm sure NH or Maxtoon et al will have some more info on the old pub.

the latest news was that the site failed to sell in auction in London after the previous owners Kingsway pulled out so looks dead in the water until someone purchases the site.

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The actual 'latest' information that I have on this development, is the below article from the Journal of 28th November 2007. This is quite some time ago now, and despite the headline, I can confirm that the site was NOT sold at that auction, as Johnny also says in his post. What has happened since then, I am not aware.

The newspaper article is quite useful though, as it gives a bit of background/photos of the old 'Carlisle Hotel', and of the proposed development . .

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now, my favourite subject! What do these five City Centre Bars, from the 1980s, have in common?

Oh think it was Robertson.
Yes, Toonlad and Graham56, that particular group of bars, for a while, constituted the ever-changing 'Joe Robertson empire'.

While not my favourite type of bar, the people I was spending time with in part of the 80s used to go there a lot, and we had some good nights (and days!) in them all!

·
Antagonist
393 Posts
Yes, the City Vaults were very different in the 1980s, you went down an open alleyway from the Bigg Market, and entered a door on the right and went down to the basement.
I remember that, in fact you could walk through to St Johns Street opposite Rosemary Lane. My friends and i often visited the Bangladesh restaurant and Sloanes snooker hall both down on the left hand side of the lane.Good memorys!
Was the City Vaults originally the Royal Court Grill or am i getting mixed up with somewhere else?

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember that, in fact you could walk through to St Johns Street opposite Rosemary Lane. My friends and i often visited the Bangladesh restaurant and Sloanes snooker hall both down on the left hand side of the lane.Good memorys!
Was the City Vaults originally the Royal Court Grill or am i getting mixed up with somewhere else?
Here is the view of that lane ('City Vaults Lane', I think it was called).

In this 1980s photo, looking back 'up' towards Bigg Market, the City Vaults doorway can be seen on the left, with 'Brahms & Liszt' on the right.

·
Antagonist
393 Posts
Here is the view of that lane ('City Vaults Lane', I think it was called).

In this 1980s photo, looking back 'up' towards Bigg Market, the City Vaults doorway can be seen on the left, with 'Brahms & Liszt' on the right.

That must be later than when i frequented the area, no lampposts or hanging baskets then.In fact the place was a bit of a dive and pretty sure you could get a car/van so far down and then a gate meant pedestrian access only through to St Johns St.

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is interesting to see how the now very "isolated" Balmoral used to look when it was in a civilised place all surrounded by normal housing streets back in the 1960s. This excellent photo was posted by hollow man recently, on the "Historic" thread . .

Former Balmoral Pub - now Ryokan Hotel, Westgate Road - photo's taken on 18th January

1 - 20 of 2139 Posts