SkyscraperCity banner

2121 - 2139 of 2139 Posts

·
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,121
Hi G

Yes, Geoff Phillips recently made me custodian of his father Jack's Photographic Collection, this followed the gifting to me of Jack's Clippings Collection a number of year ago. Geoff is happy that the photographs are shared with a wide audience so that history of the area can be appreciate by all. By the way Geoff is a member of the Forum.

Geoff has produced a large number of books, some of which have been reviewed on the Forum before.

Couple of scans from Geoff's Newcastle Past & Present Millennium Edition sets the scene regarding his father jACK.

View attachment 127717

View attachment 127719
Steve,

This is good news, I cannot think of anyone better to be a custodian of this amazing photographic collection (along with the 'clippings' collection) than you!

It is just such a regret that all of these amazing, detailed, rare postings that you have made here on the forum since you acquired the collection, have gone un-indexed.

They would have been even more of a valuable resource and source of information in the future if they were - over all the many years to come - able to be easily found in the way that so much posted on here before them, is easily found.

Very frustrating for ME, every time you post more great stuff Steve !!

·
Part Time Contributor
43,263 Posts
Steve,

This is good news, I cannot think of anyone better to be a custodian of this amazing photographic collection (along with the 'clippings' collection) than you!

It is just such a regret that all of these amazing, detailed, rare postings that you have made here on the forum since you acquired the collection, have gone un-indexed.

They would have been even more of a valuable resource and source of information in the future if they were - over all the many years to come - able to be easily found in the way that so much posted on here before them, is easily found.

Very frustrating for ME, every time you post more great stuff Steve !!
Yes the lack of a facility to accommodate your Index came as a major disappointment and a bit of a slap in the face for the excellent and dedicated work that you had put in over the years. I will certainly miss the updates but assume that Index as it stands now will be retained.

Of course I now have plenty of time on my hands, dodgy ticker and diabetes makes me one of those recommended to stay at home which I have done since a week before the official lock down. My time before that was spent helping my older brother who unfortunately lost a leg and needed my assistance. He was and is carer for his wife who is house bound with MS, so it was a fraught time. However he has now settled in with both with a new bungalow and a new leg. so he is now more able to fend for himself. Of course he has a house to sell and the current climate isn't favourable.

·
12,565 Posts
So is that the old 'long bar' ?

Of course I now have plenty of time on my hands, dodgy ticker and diabetes makes me one of those recommended to stay at home which I have done since a week before the official lock down. My time before that was spent helping my older brother who unfortunately lost a leg and needed my assistance. He was and is carer for his wife who is house bound with MS, so it was a fraught time. However he has now settled in with both with a new bungalow and a new leg. so he is now more able to fend for himself. Of course he has a house to sell and the current climate isn't favourable.
Take care both.

·
Registered
19,630 Posts
Whickham And District Social Club, School Street, Whickham, Demolition of existing club and erection of building comprising of 14 apartments - Revised Planning Approval

Whickham And District Social Club, School Street, Whickham, Demolition of existing club and erection of building comprising of 14 apartments - Revised Planning Application

On Gateshead Council Planning Portal when viewing it 14/03/20, in list week commencing 09/03/20, revised application, including for 14 not 13 apartments at Whickham And District Social Club, School Street, Whickham

EXTRACT

DC/20/00165/FUL

Demolition of existing club and erection of building comprising of 14 apartments (Revised Application) (amended 11/03/20).

Whickham And District Social Club School Street Whickham Newcastle Upon Tyne NE16 4AD

Application Validated - Wed 19 Feb 2020

Status - Awaiting decision

DC/20/00165/FUL | Demolition of existing club and erection of building comprising of 14 apartments (Revised Application) (amended 11/03/20). | Whickham And District Social Club School Street Whickham Newcastle Upon Tyne NE16 4AD

Also posted to Gateshead thread

KEN
On Gateshead Council Planning Portal on 21/05/20 this in respect of above planning application, with amendment

EXTRACT

DC/20/00165/FUL

Demolition of existing club and erection of building comprising of 14 apartments (Revised Application) (amended 11/03/20).

Whickham And District Social Club School Street Whickham Newcastle Upon Tyne NE16 4AD

Decision - Grant

Decision Issued Date - Thu 21 May 2020

DC/20/00165/FUL | Demolition of existing club and erection of building comprising of 14 apartments (Revised Application) (amended 11/03/20). | Whickham And District Social Club School Street Whickham Newcastle Upon Tyne NE16 4AD

public.gateshead.gov.uk

Chronicle Live website article from 21/05/20

EXTRACT

Fresh housing plans for derelict Gateshead social club given the go-ahead

Fresh plans for 14 wheel-chair accessible apartments on the School Street site have been approved

A planning document lodged with the council said the proposed apartments are aimed at older people.

"Each apartment has been designed to accommodate a wheelchair users in terms of access to the apartment and the facilities within the apartment," it said.

"This will create accommodation which meets the needs of the more mature residents of Whickham, providing much needed adaptable accommodation."

Full article on The new flats will be aimed at older people

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,263 Posts
The Newcastle Arms

A photograph of The Newcastle Arms, Akenside Hill, Newcastle upon Tyne - from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection. Now the Bridge Tavern but has a had a few name changes including Muse with its awful colour scheme. Rebuilt 1926.

I always thought those brick castles on the front were original but from the old photograph obviously not.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,263 Posts
The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel on the corner of Elswick Rd and Bentinck Rd Newcastle upon Tyne. Photograph from the Jack and Geoff Phillips Photographic Collection. Closed in1962 and from this view from Google the site is still empty - strange that nothing was later built on the plot?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,263 Posts
The King's Head

The King's Head on the corner of Percy St and Blackett St, Newcastle upon Tyne. Signage reflects the fact that this was originally a James Deuchar Pub but at the time of the photograph it had been acquired by Scottish and Newcastle Breweries. Demolished 1960's. Photograph courtesy of the Jack and Geoff Phillips Collection.

2121 - 2139 of 2139 Posts