SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 2217 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Royal George replacement, now complete.
The 'Manor House' Care Home at Brunton Park, is now (externally) finished . .

Near where I live, the below development, to replace the Royal George Public House (above) attracted more objections than any similar sized development ever has, in Newcastle (so I'm told).

Despite that, the pub was demolished and a new care home has been built on the site.

It is externally finished now, and landscaped, with internal finishing taking place. It is due to open next month.

I actually HATE to say it (as I was a leading objector) but I think the finished article looks quite good, and achieves the objective of "blending in" with the surrounding houses, on its prominent corner site, which I have attempted to show in the second and fourth, of the five photos below . . .

PHOTOS taken 21st June 2010 . .

Blending in quite well (height-wise etc) on Princes Road . .

Also, blending in looking up Greenfield Road . .

Still wish the PUB was there . . . !

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Something for the long term boozers in the city.

I know of Blacket Arms on Nelson Street and Black Garter on Clayton Street.

But where is/was The Black Swan?

Is it one of the two above, in a previous incarnation, or is it no longer?

The picture suggests clayton Street 1971, and it looks like it's around Grainger Market.

Any help appreciated.

Image from Newcastle Libraries stream on flikr

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Something for the long term boozers in the city.

I know of Blacket Arms on Nelson Street and Black Garter on Clayton Street.

But where is/was The Black Swan?

Is it one of the two above, in a previous incarnation, or is it no longer?

The picture suggests clayton Street 1971, and it looks like it's around Grainger Market.

Any help appreciated.

Image from Newcastle Libraries stream on flikr

Yes, I am one of the long-term boozers! I remember the Black Swan, and it wasn't one of my favourite places by a long way, but a good mate of mine knew the landlord (may have been a relative) and we got the occasional 'lock-in' there, in my very early days around the town.

Your photo does indeed show the very distinctive buildings of Clayton Street, around the entrances to the Grainger market.

The Black Swan was merged with the Star & Garter (which I also remember) in the late seventies and the rest is explained in the below extract from Heady days - A History of Newcastle Public Houses (Vol 1 the Central Area) by Brian Bennison . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
More on the "pre-Civic Centre" Haymarket/Barras Bridge Area . . .

Further to the photos in the recent post, HERE - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=60179735&postcount=1066 - here are two more photos . .

1 - A slight enlargement of part of the top photo from 'Post 1066', more clearly shows the then junction of Sandyford Road with the Great North Road (South of the Jesmond Road junction and just North of St Thomas' Church) in the Haymarket/Barras Bridge area . . .

If you look closely (in the ABOVE photo) at the point 'just before' Sandyford Road meets the Great North Road, you can make out a four-story building, with a ground-floor "arch extension" at the right hand side of the front of the building, as it fronts onto Sandyford Road.

I did wonder what that building was?

Now, I can see EXACTLY what it is, in the photo BELOW . .

A real 'flash from the past', as the building is revealed as the "Barras Bridge Hotel" . . . and amazingly, this photo also shows the new (very tall) Civic Centre in the process of construction right next to it!

2 - Using this photo, you can now see exactly where this 'Sandyford Road Junction' was, in relation to the Civic Centre building that is there now . . .

3 - Here is another photo of the Barras Bridge Hotel, a few years earlier, in 1959 . .

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 30th August 2010.

Tyneside PUBS - Past & Present.
Geoff Phillips/Jack Phillips.
G P Electronic Services.

There are quite a few books that show Contrast Photos of Newcastle 'as it was' alongside a new photo of Newcastle 'as it is now'.

This weeks choice, my eighth and final one from amongst that group of books, moves us nicely on from the "then and now" theme, into my next proposed group of books . . . which is to be about PUBS (of which this choice is the first!)

There are many 'amazing' contrast photos (then and now) in this weeks book!

The Northumberland Arms on Northumberland Street, shown "as it always was", in 1966, and in the new "post ES version" in 1990 . .

The Portland (my OWN 'in-town' local throughout the 1980s) as it used to look before it had the top level 'chopped off', taken in 1966 and as it is now (in 1990) - ALL GONE . . .

Three shots of that famous place (next to 'The Punch Bowl') the Cradlewell, taken in 1896, 1906 and in the 1990s . .

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 6th September 2010.

Old Pubs of Newcastle.
Geoff Phillips.
G P Electronic Services.

There are quite a few books that have been written about, and have many excellent photographs of, "the Public Houses of Newcastle and the North East", both past and present.

This weeks choice is my second from amongst that group of books, the first one being last week, which was also the LAST of the 'Newcastle then and now' series.

It is an excellent book, best explained by a note on its own cover . . .

"Why remember the old pubs of Newcastle? For many Tynesiders the pub is their second home, a place to unwind, a place to share a good story or a joke. The pub is a part of the culture of the City, Town and Suburb. It also forms part of the history of many a place, often providing us with a significant part of its architectural heritage."

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 13th September 2010.

Inn Guide to the North East.
Newcastle Inns.
Newcastle Breweries Ltd.

There are quite a few books that have been written about, and have many excellent photographs of, "the Public Houses of Newcastle and the North East", both past and present.

This weeks choice is my third from amongst that group of books, and is a quite 'different' book, from the rest of those that will be shown in this series. The difference is, that this is a "Guide to the pubs of one particular brewer", and was written BY the brewer for use (at the time) as an aid to people to decide where to go for a meal and/or a night out.

Now (here in 2010) it has become more of a historical record of some of the pubs of the North East, frozen at a moment in time, ie the early-1980s.

Newcastle Inns / Newcastle Breweries / Scottish & Newcastle Breweries, all were/are an important part of the public house scene in our region. Other interesting information about "S&N" (etc) has already been posted on this forum - HERE . . .

Scottish & Newcastle Inns - 150 S&N Pubs of the 1980s
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=53752027&postcount=862
Scottish & Newcastle Inns - Price List from 1972
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=53864917&postcount=863
Newcastle Breweries Ltd and the 'Famous Blue Star' - in the early 1960s
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=61010743&postcount=1097
The Geordie Pride, a massive S&N bar opposite Central Station
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=48304095&postcount=365

Now, back to this weeks book . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 20th September 2010.

Heady Days, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses : Volume One - The Central Area.
Brian Bennison
Newcastle Libraries & Information Service.

This weeks choice is my fourth from amongst that group of books, and covers the history of Newcastle Public Houses, in the City Centre.

This book is actually 'Volume One' of a three-part series, that will (when all three are seen) cover West, East and North Newcastle also. Volume One looks at over three hundred pubs that have graced (and occasionally 'disgraced') the City Centre over the last 100 years or so.

The discussions herein, include many great photos as well as descriptions of premises, dates of demise of famous places from the past, as well as stories about famous landlords and drinkers, from many of the City Centre establishments.

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 27th September 2010.

Heavy Nights, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses : Volume Two - The North and East.
Brian Bennison

This weeks choice is my fifth from amongst that group of books, and covers the history of Newcastle Public Houses in North and East Newcastle.

This book is 'Volume Two' of a three-part series, and covers some 300 pubs in the following areas of Newcastle . . . Jesmond, Spital Tongues, Heaton, Gosforth, Fawdon, Coxlodge, Kenton, Shieldfield, Ouseburn, Byker, and Walker, as well as parts of Quayside . . .

The Front Cover shows The Rose & Crown, in Walker Road, in 1908.

These two pages show (Left) the junction of City Road and Tyne Street in 1973 and (Right) The Free Trade Inn, in 1913.

These two pages show (Left) a 1938 advert from 'The Grand' at Byker, and (Right) 'The Royal Oak' on Walker Road in the early 1950s, and 'The Ford Arms' in January 1967.

I love this next photo (though I don't think it has 'scanned in' too well). Inside 'The North Terrace', along Claremont Road, circa 1955. I would just LOVE to walk in there right now!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Was it the Ford Arms that in later years carried the slogan in huge lettering "Win or Lose, We'll have some Booze"?

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 4th October 2010.

Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses : Volume Three - The West.
Brian Bennison

This weeks choice is my sixth from amongst that group of books, and covers the history of Newcastle Public Houses in West Newcastle.

This book is 'Volume Three' of a three-part series, and covers some 300 pubs, being an 'exploration' of the licensed houses of the following areas of Newcastle . . . Arthur's Hill, Westgate, Elswick, Scotswood Road, then the rest of Scotswood, and through Benwell, Bell's Close, Lemington, Newburn, Throckley, Westerhope, Cowgate, and Walbottle.

The Front Cover shows The Green Tree, Laurel Street, Scotswood - in 1958.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
That book ^ is my favourite. An excellent resource for the pubs of Scotswood Road.

Was there also a book by Geoff Philip about the pubs of Scotswood Rd?

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That book ^ is my favourite. An excellent resource for the pubs of Scotswood Road.

Was there also a book by Geoff Philip about the pubs of Scotswood Rd?

Hi merleb,

There is a book called "Scotswood Road Pubs" by Jimmy Forsyth. Could that be the one that you mean?

It will be making an appearance later in the series!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan Was it the Ford Arms that in later years carried the slogan in huge lettering "Win or Lose said:
That, I don't know Wilf!

Perhaps someone else will know?
Close Wilf. Here is a photo of Jackies Bar on Wilfred Street, which used to be The Ford pub.

GBDT

p.s. NH, I did it first time - got the photo to diplay without your help!

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Hi merleb,

There is a book called "Scotswood Road Pubs" by Jimmy Forsyth. Could that be the one that you mean?

It will be making an appearance later in the series!
Ah Jimmy was it? Thanks NH, looking forward to seeing it again. I got it out of the library about 15 years ago and it was very good.

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 11th October 2010.

Scotswood Road PUBS.
Jimmy Forsyth
Newcastle City Libraries.

This weeks choice is my seventh from amongst that group of books, and has been chosen "by request" . . .

The 'Lost Weekends' book is my favourite. An excellent resource for the pubs of Scotswood Road. Was there also a book by Geoff Phillips, about the pubs of Scotswood Rd?
Hi merleb, Maybe there is, but there is definitely a book called "Scotswood Road Pubs" by Jimmy Forsyth. Could that be the one that you mean? It will be making an appearance later in the series!
Ah Jimmy was it? Thanks NH, looking forward to seeing it again. I got it out of the library about 15 years ago and it was very good.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
That looks good - I'll have to see if I can root a copy out somewhere. Another great pub book is Lynn Pearson's Northumbrian Pubs - the Duke of Cumberland (above) looks very similar to some of the Felling pubs she covered, by the practice of Septimus Oswald (I think). Big towers, domes, very impressive, no expense spared!

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 18th October 2010.

Tyneside's Bygone Boozers.
Geoff Phillips
G P Electronic Services.

This weeks choice is my eighth from amongst that group of books, and is a small, but excellent, book full of great photos and details. More details of the book are in the second of the four scans, below . . .

41 - 60 of 2217 Posts