Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
^^

An interesting read, even if most of it is largely just laying out the current status of the area. The suggestions contained therein aren't anything earth-shattering - better cross links, improved public realm etc - but given both of those are exceptionally weak in that area at the moment, just those would be a good start. The document also seems to acknowledge that it being immediately adjacent to the WHS site notwithstanding, a step up in height towards Leeds Street is acceptable, to provide a smooth change in scale from the suburban scale of the Eldonian Village to the talls of the CBD less than a mile away.

It's an area with plenty to look forward to, subject to actually getting anything on site, but when that happens, I think this will become the new development hotspot in the city, and in doing so will remove any doubt that the city centre has expanded, and made that leap across Leeds Street.

·
Registered
138 Posts
More going on there than I realised - thanks for sharing!

Also nice to see them consider the risk associated with an overabundance of studios and 1-bedroom flats. Driving through central Birmingham at the weekend, it seemed like any building of significant height was either a hotel or student accommodation.

New buildings should be designed to support active streets and frontages. Along key vehicular edges this may be in the form of ground floor active commercial uses, which could include social and evening uses such as retail (Use Class A1) and restaurants and cafés (Use Class A3) provided that such uses are managed in a way that does not conflict with residential amenity. Equally, ground floor units may also include office space aimed at start-up businesses (Use Class B1) or even uses such as gyms or crèches (Use Class D1 or D2). Retail, leisure and community uses should be focussed along Vauxhall Road to reinforce its role as the heart of the area. Uses should be of a neighbourhood scale and not compete with the city centre or Great Homer Street (District Centre).
^ Absolutely.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There's a lot of big talk there, but at least there's plenty of acknowledgement of how unpleasant the current area is for pedestrians etc - and how Leeds St forms a barrier that is hard to cross, especially with multi-stage crossings / rubbish cycle lanes (from nowhere to nowhere) / antisocial parking.

I walk regularly from Moorfields to Love Lane and it's pretty grim, or at least frustrating.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I walk to Love Lane and it's pretty grim, or at least frustrating.
I never roamed those fields of sugar cane
Coz I used to pinch my sugar from the wagons on Love Lane

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Made up name and a load of made up schemes ....the only one that might get off the ground is Eliot’s but I would surprised if he can shift a thousand units especially if Liverpool Waters ever gets off the ground.

·
Est. 2005
568 Posts
I would really like this area to be regenerated like Lee Bank - now known as Park Central - in Birmingham. I don't see Liverpool having a comparable area. It's a diverse community but contains a lot of young professionals - several who are not from the area originally (myself included).

The centre point of the development is two parks which are really well used by the community, people have BBQs with friends in the sun, Zumba classes and so on.

From a commercial side there isn't much but being so close to the city centre it isn't an issue.

·
Brumscouse
63 Posts
I would really like this area to be regenerated like Lee Bank - now known as Park Central - in Birmingham. I don't see Liverpool having a comparable area. It's a diverse community but contains a lot of young professionals - several who are not from the area originally (myself included).

The centre point of the development is two parks which are really well used by the community, people have BBQs with friends in the sun, Zumba classes and so on.

From a commercial side there isn't much but being so close to the city centre it isn't an issue.
I lived in Lee Bank when I first move down to Brum in 1993. It was a tower block named Haddon Tower, which, though structurally sound, was demolished in a controlled explosion about 10 years ago.

It was mainly 60s and 70s council built but it hadn't taken long for the whole area to just become an inner city ghetto. As it got worse only the dregs and the desperate would accept being housed there and it just spiralled downwards.

It was so close to the city centre (I could walk to New St in 15 mins) that it was almost an embarrassment for the council to have such a grotty dive so close to the heart of the city.

But there was obviously a long term plan to transform the area. I got out under my own steam but people were starting to be shipped out and places boarded up by the council a good twenty years back.

The transformation has been fantastic, with new build still happening, but the vision was there a long time ago.

I'd love to see the same happen to any of a number of inner city residential areas in Liverpool but it could take a good 20 years to come to fruit.

Incidentially LiverOdysea, whilst living there, I was told by my partner who worked for the council, that underneath the big mounded park in the centre of Lee Bank, there was a nuclear fall out shelter with an underground tunnel leading from the Council House. From this, whatever was left of Central England, was to be governed when the bomb went up!

·
Est. 2005
568 Posts
Interesting, I did think its unusual to have such a big park in the centre of a modern development, but I am a fan. I hope Liverpool could come up with something similar, they're the most light and have the biggest balconies I have seen in any apartments.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.movecommercial.com/vacant-offices-vauxhall-residential-conversion/

Vacant offices at Liverpool’s Vauxhall Business Centre could be converted into houses in multiple occupation (HMO) if approved next week.

The three-storey Vauxhall Road building is also home to a ground floor convenience store and café and an undercroft providing a shared car park, a Nerf play centre, indoor paintballing, vehicle repairs and a gym.

An application by Stone Maker Properties to create the new residential use at the site will be considered by Liverpool City Council’s planning committee during its meeting on 26 June.

Proposals include two HMOs comprising 16 en suite bedrooms as well as a communal lounge and a kitchen serving each unit.

A document to be considered by the planning committee says: “The applicant has submitted details of how the site has been unsuccessfully marketed for B1 office space (either as one unit, or two separate units split across the two floors).

“Despite the flexibility in how the site was marketed, the owner noted there was no interest, until the current tenant agreed to let the building for this proposal.”

It adds: “Given the level of advertisement this site has received and the length of time it has been vacant (since December 2010), the head of planning is satisfied there is no prospect of it coming forward for employment uses and therefore this proposal to convert it should be considered favourably.”

Under the plans the external finish of the building, which is said to currently be “in a poor state of repair,” would be updated.

The planning document explains: “The applicant seeks to include Western Red Cedar Cladding to the front and side elevations, above the existing large expanses of concrete.

“The building is not considered to have distinctive features which require retention. The head of planning considers the proposed cedar cladding would break up the expanse of glazing and would reflect the traditional red brick finish of nearby buildings.”

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Pumpfields Development Framework to go before the Cabinet next week - http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk...ndix 1 - Pumpfields Development Framework.pdf

Some points -

- The area is regarded as being bounded by Pall Mall, the Wallasey Tunnel approach, Scotland Road, and Leeds Street, and bi-sected by Vauxhall Road.
- The emerging Local Plan aims to re-classify the area as a Mixed Use Area, from the current Primarily Industrial Area.
- Land to the west of Vauxhall Road is to be protected for employment uses.
- Land to the east of Vauxhall Road and the Leeds Street/Pall Mall frontages to west is where residential developments will be supported.
- Attractive, high profile frontages to be delivered along Scotland Road, Leeds Street, and Pall Mall.
- Focus on Vauxhall Road for neighbourhood uses, like local retail, community, and leisure.
- Focus on 'full block' redevelopment to avoid incremental developments that may not sit together well, including assembling larger plots when beneficial to the future design.
- Improve road network, pedestrian, and cycle facilities to improve permeability and links into adjacent areas.
- Future developments not to be car dependent as future developments are likely to reduce the current 9.8 hectares of land in Pumpfields used for surface car parking.
- Future developments to be of a scale and height that will not unduly impact the WHS skyline.

In response to consultations, Network Rail suggested the boundary should include their land to the other side of Pall Mall/Love Lane, which is surplus to railway requirements, and they regard as having potential for residential use. (Note - a link posted a few months ago showed NR actively marketing these sites for sale for residential).

It mostly seems OK to me. I'm not sure about the WHS bit, as anything tall along Pall Mall would likely read as part of the existing CBD cluster, while anything further back towards Scotland Road would have to be of some terrific height to have any kind of over-dominant effect on the WHS, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.