SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
22,650 Posts
Nice... so decentralised waterfall city where land prices do not dictate the need for skyscrapers is getting but Sandton just gets low lying hippos? Something doesn't seem right here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think there are other factors coming into play in this instance. They are combining Sunninghill and Menlyn offices in one location so it could be more considerate and convenient to be to the north of Sandton.

It's relatively close to Midrand Gautrain and very accessable by car. Sandton is becoming impossible from that perspective. Unfortunately, due to the nature of their work, staff work mostly at client sites in all corners of Gauteng and need cars to get there.

Plus I suspect that office will be seen from miles away, so it's matching some of their rivals in terms of visibility of brand.

My personal view is that it would look somewhat out of place for many years, probably like Sandton City was initially.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,881 Posts
nope the are twin towers planned or at least 2 high rises flanking the melrose arch development spilling South down the hill to the Waterfall estate wall. Its high and medium density from 100units/ Ha there are 16 cranes up now and I watch it everyday form my house as I face directly north to the site.

I saw that site last weekend when I was riding there and looks like initial site works have started . will check again this weekend .

Lots of corporates relocating to Waterfall, PWC biggest but premier foods, Golder and ass, nOtavaris etc

·
22,650 Posts
I have never personally been a waterfall city fan in that joburg continues to spurn too many business districts and the resulting traffic mess.

·
22,650 Posts
I think there are other factors coming into play in this instance. They are combining Sunninghill and Menlyn offices in one location so it could be more considerate and convenient to be to the north of Sandton.

It's relatively close to Midrand Gautrain and very accessable by car. Sandton is becoming impossible from that perspective. Unfortunately, due to the nature of their work, staff work mostly at client sites in all corners of Gauteng and need cars to get there.

Plus I suspect that office will be seen from miles away, so it's matching some of their rivals in terms of visibility of brand.

My personal view is that it would look somewhat out of place for many years, probably like Sandton City was initially.
My poinot was not so much pwc and their needs rather that a high rise is being built on this rather low value land when sandton continues to breed low layers in a relative sense.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,881 Posts
land is not low value by any stretch of the imagination. Bulk rates are comparable to Sandton at the moment . Also Sandton has limit on new services and is essentially bulked out where as Waterfall has all new service provisions and is designed to be a smart and new town centre of the future.

Joburg/PTA now have multiple commercial centers and waterfall city is the latest of these . Think Melrose arch/Centurion/ Menlyn/Rooderpoort/ randburg/ Sandton/Kempton/ germiston / benoni etc in fact its ringed by these centers which all serve deferent markets , demographics and geography.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,881 Posts
I have never personally been a waterfall city fan in that joburg continues to spurn too many business districts and the resulting traffic mess.
Disagree on the traffic issue, thats exactly why these districts have sprung up so people live around then work in them and shop in them, People don't live in waterfall and commute to sandton. I live , work and play in a 10km radius from my house and I never have traffic issue, its how joburg is built and how people want to live. Convenience

·
Afritect
4,369 Posts
if this gets built i will be very impressed with lyt its an amazing design,I know some good architects there hope it gets built

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
My brother works for PWC, and according to him, it is pretty much a done deal.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Also, according to the render, we're looking at about 36 floors here... not 25!

·
South Straddie QLD
10,881 Posts
already announced last week. 36F was an option but not accepted but its 40 000m2 so closer to the 25F which i think is the height limit due to grand central airport flight path

·
Afritect
4,369 Posts
already announced last week. 36F was an option but not accepted but its 40 000m2 so closer to the 25F which i think is the height limit due to grand central airport flight path
that's going to have quite an effect on the design..... in order to get that twist you need some height

·
South Straddie QLD
10,881 Posts
the renders with PWC on them show a slight twist of about 35 agrees. The Sandton proposal tower at 36F shows a full 90 degree twist and seems to be a study model and not really a practical design for waterfall which has always had the height issues due to the airport

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

·
23,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That might have been the site they were considering, but I doubt the tower will get built now that PwC has decided to move to Waterfall.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Source: Engineering News

Atterbury Property has confirmed it will develop the new R1.5-billion head office of professional services firm PwC at Waterfall City, in Midrand – the first high-rise building in the precinct.

This followed the signing of a lease agreement between PwC and Attacq on January 15 confirming the development of the 26-storey building, which would comprise 40 000 m2 of office space for 3 500 employees.

Atterbury Commercial Development director Jeanne Jordaan said in a statement that earthworks for the new PwC building had already started and construction would begin in the first quarter of the year.

The project was expected to take 36 months and was scheduled for completion early in 2018.

The PwC Tower was designed by LYT Architecture and would be built in phases owing to the unique design of the structure, which would gently twist through in its height to frame the urban park that formed the green heart of Waterfall City.

The building was also designed to conform to the internationally recognised Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design silver standard.

“The brief for the PwC Tower at Waterfall City called for an iconic building form that would be unique to the development and which would mark the property as a new top-tier destination for business.

“Given the height of the building, and that it is situated on a high point in Waterfall City, it will easily be the tallest structure on the corridor between the Sandton central business district (CBD) and the Pretoria CBD. The PwC Tower will be visible from almost anywhere within a 30 km radius,” outlined LYT Architecture director Guy Steenekamp.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts