SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot 7, Elizabeth Quay. Proposed 28 level office tower, 3 level podium and 2 basement levels​

DETAILS

The proposed development involves the construction of 2 basement levels accessed from Duchess Way, a 29 level (includes plant) office building fronting The Esplanade and a 3 level podium building to Geoffrey Bolton Avenue. The following provides the details of the proposed development.

Ground Level:

• Office building entry lobby and cafe;
• Chevron Exhibition Space;
• Escalator to Chevron lobby;
• 8 tenancies in the podium building fronting Geoffrey Bolton Avenue;
• Child care lobby located in south-east corner; and
• Landscaped pedestrian amenities.

Level 1
• Void to office building; and
• Gymnasium and child care centre in podium building fronting Geoffrey Bolton Avenue.

Level 2:
• Chevron Lobby and meeting spaces connecting the office building to the podium building;
• Upper level of child care centre in the south western portion of the podium building; and
• Outdoor terrace fronting Geoffrey Bolton Avenue.

Level 3:
• Chevron conference facilities in main building (1889m2 NLA); and
• Landscaped roof of podium building.

Level 4:
• Chevron conference facilities in main building (1889m2 NLA).

Level 5:
• Plant.

Levels 6 – 11:
• Office floor space for other tenants (1969m2 - 1989m2 NLA).

Levels 12 – 28:
• Chevron Office floors (1197m2 - 2017m2 NLA).

Level 29:
• Plant.

Overall NLA: 55,361sqm (Tower: 52502, Podium: 2859)

ARCHITECT: Hassell
DEVELOPER: Brookfield
BUILDER: Multiplex
COST: TBA
MRA: https://cdn.mra.wa.gov.au/production/documents-media/documents/central-perth/elizabeth-quay/file/da-report-lot-7-the-esplanade-elizabeth-quay

·
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those who wish to comment:

https://www.mra.wa.gov.au/planning-and-approvals/current-planning-items/development-application-lot-7-the-esplanade-elizabeth-quay-perth

Yay:
- Major office underpinning at EQ. Will no doubt help Perth+ get off the ground and keep all the EQ hotels in business.

- Gigantic core. Will be fun to watch going up and will probably happen sooner rather than later.

Nay:
- Boring design, much like their Houston offices. Not having a proper roof feature is another missed opportunity. Even from South Perth, the tower will just blend in with all the other buildings around it.

- The podium is hideous and the public offering is terrible. Nothing more than a tiny food court and a token restaurant. It would be fine on a PCL site, but it's not fitting of EQ.

- The entire northern elevation from street front to roof is core space. Nearly a third of the street frontages are dead spaces. Details on the Barrack St side are skint.

I could probably go on...

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's not great but will be good to see another tower go up at EQ. Surely the possibility of it being knocked back would be slim?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Agree. And this is the corner site - the other sites are more prominent and this will end up as more of a "filler" when they are built up

Really need some architectural merit for the central site (bounded Geoffrey Bolton Ave / Enchantress Way / Esplanade / Duchess Way - where PerthPlus or whatever it is called is proposed), and the sites on the western side of the quay - particularly the one closest to the river.

·
Registered
248 Posts
With the shape of the northern face are we going to see the walkie talkie affect? .....maybe PCC will burn down.....maybe a good thing.

·
Watch my Chops
5,980 Posts
Classic Brookfield design. Vanilla Corporate.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Ground level of Brookfield Place works so well because the street frontage is taken up by the heritage buildings.

By contrast, this has four street frontages, and they range from boring to dogshit. The podium will do for EQ what QV1 does for the west end of Hay St, ie kill it dead. (Compare activity levels immediately to the east of Milligan and immediately to the west of QV1, the difference being a continuous fine grain of different frontages and tenancies east of Milligan, and the single concrete-dominated facade of QV1). Don’t get me wrong I love QV1 but the podium (even after the redevelopment) is rubbish.

Nothing about this ground level makes me want to walk past and look at what’s there and/or what’s beyond it, which is insane in EQ, a 100% pedestrian precinct. The river will be cut off from the city again.

·
ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED
938 Posts
So many negative comments on here. I think yes there's reasonable argument for the negative comments and ideas but just looking at it in a few seconds and not paying any particular attention to detail it looks good to me.

:lol: I'll probably come back here on the weekend and see the same issues too.

·
Perth
1,835 Posts
For me the tower is great. I love the curves and full glass.

Its the podium and the street level integration that I have a problem with - It's so bland or just completely non existent. From the renders the north face is hidden with trees. Nothing to see here. This is the actual part most of us will interact with as not many of us will go inside as we all don't work for Chevron.

·
fierce buildings papi.
9,589 Posts
curves ok.
podium awful, uninspired.

podium roof space that low should be activated, or greenspace. no exceptions.

for all of chevron's delay and excuses, this is just further disdain shown to our city. for a global giant, that's a piss poor offering. our city deserves better.

·
A 'Refined Bogan'
7,847 Posts
I hope everyone is making submissions to the MRA through the consultation process for how bad the podium and street integration is.

It seems similar to the outcome for the Three Oceans podium and street interaction after SAT.

·
Single, looking to mingle
10,285 Posts
The podium roofs are landscaped, Crave.

That's a complete waste of prime waterfront usable space though. Please guys, submit similar feedback on the MRA site.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
I'm glad they're not going too heavy on Food & Beverage here. It's going to be very, very competitive once Ritz, Towers, Perth+ & EQ West add their F&B offerings to what is already available.

I just want to see some new architects. Hassell & Cox do great work, but they seem to be the only two firms that get any work here.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts