SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Do you tink the May day stadium REALLY takes 150 000 SEATED people ?

• YES

Votes: 338 46.1%
  • NO

Votes: 395 53.9%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· PompeY2J
1,848 Posts
Huh? What do Americans have to do with the capacity of this stadium???

I am also intrigued by the "perfect" number of 150,000. I highly doubt that is the real capacity.
That is a lot more common than you think. When a stadium has a capacity of xxxxx people, that is often simply an approximation, a rounded figure. Suncorp Stadium for example, in Brisbane, is said to have 52,500 seats, but in reality, there is 52,442 or such seats. It is merely a more convenient way of presenting the data.

Secondly, 150,000 is a relatively reasonable figure for a round stadium the size of MD Stadium. For comparison, i present a relatively similar sized and shaped stadium, the MCG

That there is a capacity of 100,000. It has 71 rows, while May Day has 90. May Day has stands much further away from the pitch than MCG, and May Day, from what i have seen has less seating room, meaning far more people are seated in the May Day's outer sections than at say the MCG. 150,000 capacity is far from unrealistic.

· PompeY2J
1,848 Posts
To me its never +110,000

parcdesprinces

Which history? We do not have an offcial source. Sorry, but i do not believe in North Korean sources.

IMO its
-150,000 highest attendance (maybe without seats)
-100,000 as an all-seater
190,000 is it's highest attendance, per World Championship Wrestling, a US promotion. Occurred in 1995, at a Pay Per View event called Kollision in Korea.

http://www.koreapopwars.com/2008/05/kollision-in-north-korea.html
Video of the main event - Antonio Inoki vs Ric "Nature Boy" Flair

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wcw-njpw/kollision-in-korea-day-2-265.html
Internet Wrestling Database page for the event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kollision_in_Korea
Wikipedia page

· PompeY2J
1,848 Posts
thank you so much for that formula ... might come in hand in one of my future school projects .. ;) with (C + 2.Pi.D.N) / W i assume you mean ( C+2 * pi * D * N ) /W with the dots you mean * ( times ) right ?

the confusing thing about this stadium , is that when you only look at this stadium and listen to mathematic arguments and such , 150 000 sounds resonable.... however , when you compare it to other stadiums , it does not seem to be enough size difference for it to be that huge ... :nuts:
The thing about comparing this to other stadiums is that not all stadiums are exactly the same. The width between seats is different, the seat size is different and the depth per row isn't the same. To best demonstrate this, i give you this scenario - two stadiums, same circular pitch size(200m) and shape, same number of rows (30), and the same additional circumference per row (2.4m). However, stadium 2 has more seats than stadium 1. Stadium 1 has a seat size of 0.5m, and a basic capacity, using the math provided earlier (i won't rejustify it) of:

200*2.4*30/0.5 = 28,800.

Stadium 2 has a seat size of only 0.48m, and a basic capacity of

200*2.4*30/0.48 = 30,000.

That's a difference of 1,200 seats when one stadium has a seat size 2cm smaller! This stadium also only has 30 rows, the stadium we are talking about here has over 90 rows! The difference in seat size will also likely be far bigger as well!

Also, be very careful when comparing stadiums by images, unless you know that the camera and it's settings were exactly the same, it can be quite misleading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts