SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now we have heard this over and over agean and every ones board of it
but i thaught i might make a thread on the cladding of q1 and what people think about the cladding your thaughts

lockes pic compering what q1 should look like and what it dose look like

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
A real shame.... This building had the potential to be on of the best stunners in the world... But alas, the cladding just looks cheap (Added to the fact that they didn't even finish the top section...)
IMO - too pale and too green. Although the glass of eureka would be too dark, something a little closer to that would have made this building just awesome. Another problem with the paleness of the glass is that it makes the setbacks too bloody hard to discern...

a pity....

·
16,465 Posts
Really really pissed off at how it turned out. Could have been such a fine product but they ruined it! All to save a buck!

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Lockes definitly shows how much better it could have been.

It can look pretty nice in the right light, but for most of the time and from most angles its a dissapointment

·
Registered
301 Posts
It would look much better if the whole building was one colour. I.e. the horizontal and vertical light greens being the same colour as the windows. Someone try photoshopping? (I would if i knew how to. lol)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice looking building and tall, but the way that cladding turned out no less than really really bad, tut tut...

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Yes, alas, not what we had hoped with the facade. But it's still probably one of the highest rating buildings on the international forums, so says something but the strength of Q1's appeal, if it gets 9 and 10's now, imagine what it would have scored all done up! So we tend to be very hard on it probably.

Oh well, lessons have been learned no doubt, we move forward to Vision, Soul, ES etc and the new wave of tallies!:)

·
Registered
76,961 Posts
^ i concur. who gives a shit. lol
its a great skyscraper. i dont think more shiny cladding would get me excited?
i look at a buildings form and shape. Q1's design makes it a great skyscraper.
end of "storey".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Broadie, you must be the worst speller ever. How old are you, 9 ? How are u meant to pick-up the ladies like that? Let me give you a free lesson. Now = know; agean = again; board = bored; thaught = thought; compering = comparing and dose = does. Your punctuation isn't very good either.
Cheers.

·
Perth=isolation=cool!!
522 Posts
CULWULLA said:
^ i concur. who gives a shit. lol
its a great skyscraper. i dont think more shiny cladding would get me excited?
i look at a buildings form and shape. Q1's design makes it a great skyscraper.
end of "storey".
i really have to agree here, Q1 is a great building,crappy cladding wont make any difference :evil: :mad2: :mad2:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
^^ I don't understand how you guys can say "who cares about the cladding" !!! Everyone on these threads has had a bitch and whinge at least once about a building's facade/cladding etc. Even you cul have complained about (I dunno which builkding it is) but the one in sydney that's painted a yellow/beige colour. At the end of the day aesthetics are one of the most important features of any building - esp ones such as q1 that hold such a prestigious title. It wouldn't matter if you buildt the most extroadinary scraper in the world - but if you cover it in shit - it's gunna look like shit!! Yeah, we're all blowing this all WAY out of proportion - but I do think its a shame...

·
retired
893 Posts
I can't remember who said it on here, but the best describtion I have ever heard of Q1's cladding is that it's a supermodel in a bad dress, she may not look her best but at the end of the day it's still a supermodel!

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
Q1 is not a supermodel in a bad dress, but rather a lanky ***** wearing something from supre that reflects a 1980s green and white stipped lycra look. All the while slutting around the beach half bauld in white stilletos with a cigarette and her worst bumps showing. Q1 looks likes like cheap white-trash.

She could have at least been shuved into a versace reflective gown, had her make-up and hair done and put on some appropiate shoes.

Q1 fails.

Cladding is IMO the most important feature - buildings are marketed on their external appearance, it is the image in most people minds. when we meet someone we don't automatically recall them through their: amazing bone stucture, their wonderful intestines or their healthy liver function - we see their facade. Just like we don't recall any nameless building through its ingenious use of internal steel bracing, fantastic water management and plumbing. Most see a building from its outward appearance. Buildings are marketing on how they look outwardly first and then internally second. If people don't think its important then guess again, one only has to look at the marketing debarcle over that gold/bronze tower in melbourne. A facade is certainly something not to be overlooked.

I ask...

Why do teens whinge to doctors and parents for clearasil and why does roaccutane get prescribed to so many people.

Why is the cosmetics industry such a healthy industry with amazing turnover? Then we have the cosmetic surgery industries with exponential increases in procedures to both men and women. How about the cosmetic surgery of a kangagroo in LA so it could continue working in TV!

Whether people like to admit it or not, most are are majorly concerned with outward appearance. Sure a bit of make-up wont make a 200kg person stunning but a little effort on the exterior of anything can turn mundane into beautiful. The same is true of Q1, a mundane exterior could have made plain into stunning with a simple bit of reflective glass. The shape is ok but unfortunately the fussy glass facade only further distracts the viewer.

face it the building looks shit from a aesthetic point of view and only in some light can this be disguised. They marketed a glittering and amazing vision and what they sold us was a cheap imitation that looks no more exciting than a circa 1993 block of flats in Burleigh Heads.

If they had bothered to get the reflective glass on the summit or even graduate it to save expence and start the reflective glass further up it could have still saved the building. However they were even less insulting and couldn't even be bothered finishing the crown. I wish I was on CCCCl, I would have demanded answers and even halted construction if at all possible. What they have done with Q1 is ripped off an entire league of people excited by this tower, ripped off buyers and ripped off the Gold Coast for creating a 90-story ediface that only speaks of cost cutting and of failure to do things right. Q1 is an embarrassing lesson into Australia and Australian not wanting to go the extra mile.

Thank **** for Eureka and people that want to do things right.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Hehe, that was me DeejayT.

Avatar, facade isn't everything, the shape is arguably more important, to use your example, there is no point have great skin if you have shitty bone structure, you'll still be ugly:p and arguably that structure is key.

Q1's shape is world class, I mean it's really good, no doubt inspired Vision a bit, it kind of gets lost a touch in the facade, but that shape is brilliant and very appealing to a wide variety of people.

Q1's facade isn't like the original renders, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as your 'national embarrassment' arguement since certainly it rates well on the forums and came second in the 2005 Emporis awards and Skyscrapercity awards behind the a twisting tower (who can beat a bloomin twisitng tower):p. That's second in the world, so I mean not too shabby.

80 percent of it's apartments sold in a few months after release, Eureka took five years to reach that figure, so there is a lot more to these buildings than just facade, and whilst we don't like the facade, I hazard to guess most ppl wouldn't even notice, specially with no render to compare to you tend not to see the deficiencies that we do.

On the ohher hand I don't think it's 'who cares' situation either as Culwulla would say, since facade is undeniably very important. On the whole though, Q1 was a pivotal tower for the coast, it's opened up the doors for the CC's, Soul, ANA, transit etc. On balance it's overwhelming a postive, but it's skyscraper forum so a bit of nitpicking is to be expected:p

1 - 20 of 87 Posts