Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12863513%5E1702,00.html

Mainly QLD, but includes WA, SA, NT and NSW

Qantas boosts flights

15apr05

QANTAS will add more than 6600 additional seats and 19 extra return weekly flights in Queensland from July 1.

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said the additional seats and new services would provide a boost to Queensland's tourism industry.

"Qantas makes an enormous contribution to the Queensland economy, committing 44 per cent of the airline's domestic capacity on flights to and from Queensland and providing employment for more than 5,500 people," Mr Dixon said.

From July 1, Qantas will add six new weekly return flights between Brisbane and Adelaide; five new services between Perth and Brisbane; and four new services between Sydney and Brisbane.

The airline will also add an extra Friday service between Brisbane and Mt Isa; another seasonal service between Cairns and Perth and two more between Cairns and Sydney each week.

In addition, Qantas will fly larger aircraft on 13 weekly services between Brisbane and Darwin from July, providing an extra 854 seats a week for the peak season.

Mr Dixon also announced that QantasLink services would replace Qantas' daily 737 flights between Brisbane and Rockhampton from June 1.

Jetstar will reduce its daily flying between Brisbane and Rockhampton to one return 717 service.

Mr Dixon said together with QantasLink and Jetstar, Qantas operates services to 20 cities and towns in Queensland.

"In addition to being Queensland's largest domestic carrier, the Qantas Group is the largest provider of international services to the state, carrying almost 40 per cent of international visitors as well as spending about $8 million annually promoting and marketing Queensland," he said.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
And do they add Townsville in there, no they do bloody not. What about saying something like putting 767's on a return service a day for the peak season, nope, they dont say anything.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would agree that Tville would need flights more than GC.

People cant very well land in Brisbane and easily take a train/cab/car to Tville, but they can for the GC.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12869437%5E664,00.html

Qantas pressures Virgin
Geoff Easdown
16apr05

QANTAS took the war for seats into Virgin Blue territory yesterday by announcing 19 extra flights a week into Queensland.

The decision by the national airline will add 6600 additional seats to Queensland routes from July 1.

Virgin recently admitted that passenger loads fell markedly in February -- down 3.8 basis points to 75.8 per cent -- compared with the 0.9 per cent traffic drop to 76.1 per cent recorded by Qantas.

The Brisbane-based discount carrier has acknowledged that higher fuel costs, which surged to $US76 a barrel in recent weeks, have hurt its bottom line.

Qantas managing-director Geoff Dixon sought to promote the decision to add extra services as "a boost to Queensland's tourism industry."

An airline spokesman suggested the move was timely response to growing traffic volumes into Queensland.

But aviation sources recalled that Qantas flooded domestic routes with extra capacity.

It introduced Boeing 767 aircraft, acquired from British Airways, and took the battle to Ansett in the months before the airline collapsed.

"Qantas is certainly putting pressure on Virgin Blue," said Shawstockbroking's Brent Mitchell. "They could also be seeking to fix the image problem which was caused when they replaced some Qantas services in Queensland with Jetstar flights," Mr Mitchell said.

But a change of aircraft on the Brisbane-Rockampton route, beginning on June 1, could spark concern in the central Queensland city.

Rockhampton will lose one of its two daily jet services to Brisbane.

A Boeing 717 Jetstar flight will be replaced by a smaller Dash8 propeller aircraft, operated by QantasLink.

The new return services to Brisbane will include: six from Adelaide, five from Perth, four from Sydney and an extra service from Mt Isa.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Either Way. Qantas and Virgin will annouce extra seating into Townsville, they leave it last minute for the Peak Season. Like last year for example, they annouce extra flights for Mackay and Cairns etc in May and annouced extra flights and seats for the peak season for TSV in July. But It doesn't really matter anymore, I've realised I'm just waiting for a nice big 767 to fly into Town.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Toadman said:
what about the Gold Coast? The could at least put ONE SERVICE on that's not in the wee hours of the morning or night.
true, but there isn't any serious demand for it. It's good to hear services are being increased, but why not to Tville?

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
As I said before, they will, but not till the middle of the peak season, but however Townsville is expecting an Extra Daily Sydney Flight the way things are going, or a couple of extra weekly's. But I'm still waiting for that nice big 767 to come to Town.

·
Banned
33 Posts
"The Gold Coast-- Australia's Manhattan, meets Las Vegas, meets Miami"

Vegas and Miami maybe but, from memory, Manhattan is full of office towers stuffed with highly paid execs...doesn't sound like much the Golf Coast!

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Yeah but Manhattan is also cramed with Apartment blocks in the Majority of Places too, Infact this is a Thread talking about the issue, not objecting to someone's signature.

·
©
9,478 Posts
Gertzy said:
As I said before, they will, but not till the middle of the peak season, but however Townsville is expecting an Extra Daily Sydney Flight the way things are going, or a couple of extra weekly's. But I'm still waiting for that nice big 767 to come to Town.
Where did you hear of extra Sydney flights? I haven't heard any talk of this.
Jetstar were in more talks with Queensland Airports Ltd about the startup of the Townsville - Melbourne direct service. Hopefully something more can come of it this time. QAL might actually think about charging reasonable prices for use of the terminal, unlike the previous owners AAL.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
TEL is expecting a couple of extra weeklys for the peak season. It is good of this new talk with Jetstar and direct Melbourne flights too, I'll enjoy that day but I'm still sticking with Virgin unless Its direct to Melbourne.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts