SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read someone mentioning in another thread here about a link being made between Qatar and Bahrain. Is this a real plan? I've tried looking up a thread about this but didn't find anything, maybe I didn't look well enough.

I think it's a pretty cool idea (thats if it's really happening), what is your take on this?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Ya it is happening, it's already got the approval. I think the reason why they still didn't start is that there is a study for a maglev train that will be part of the bridge. It's supposed to be the longest in the world (40-45 km). There is a thread somewhere. I'll look it up for you before I sleep.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I'l read more tomorrow, I'm off too the world of dreams! All this fasting and study is draining me.

·
Banned
442 Posts
franky, i do not wish to see this link come true, for many reasons, as follows:

- the coast of the link was put @ around 3 billion $, so if qatar can come up with it's share of the cost, can bahrain do?

- the qatar's financial contribution to the link is badly needed for development qatar is witnessing @ the moment, and it's such a waste of money to spend it on a non-periority projects, like the link.

- the link, once it's built, w'd help bahrain financially, namely through the huge exudos of qataris to bahrain during holidays, which means a lucrative days of potential tourists & visitors to the island's hotels and entertainment business.

- not to mention the crossing fees that bahraini customs w'd collect from qatari visitors.

- the effect on qatar airways's flights to bahrain, which w'd witness a slump in the passengers who'd use the link rather than travel by air.

- above all, i don't trust the bahraini governement, from previous experiences, they're un-trustworthy & un-predictable, and i bet one phone call from outside bahrain, w'd make them go back to the pre international court of justice decision's period, God forbids.

i don't mind supplying bahrain with natural gas, oil & having few investements over there, but a 3 billion $ link, is way too much. instead, i say let's go ahead with the plans of the link with uae. a7na jayeen likom ya imarat!!!

·
2,424 Posts
The thread in our forum says it will cost approximately 4.7 Billion dollars, and not just 3..!

And i'm sure Bahrain will pay its fair share, don't worry...

What do you mean though one phone call from outside!? Outside where??

And yeah, i almost understand what you're saying, cuz it seems to me like Bahrain stands to gain the most from this project...! :)

·
2,424 Posts
So whats the story behind the train or maglev or whatever...!? Is it supposed to link Manama and Doha altogether, going across the bridge...That would sure be nice, if the train is modern, comfortable, fast, and with a quick swipe of our ID cards, no worrying about traffic and/or queing..

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
First of all, I dont think the link will cost four billion dollars. The bridge as a whole is easy to build and does not need advanced technological methods since the depth of the Arabian Gulf at the point of building does not exceed 10 meters. The lengh will be the longest in the world. (I did a whole paper about this project...) I think it is a win-win situation here;
1. Saudis and Bahrainis will come to Qatar, and Qataris will go to Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
2. Qatar and Bahrain would by then will both be more advanced in terms of tourism; therefore, all citizens will come to each others' country.
3. Qatar Airways is expanding at an extremely rapid pace. I dont think Bahrain will affect the growth that much.
4. If the link between UAE and Qatar gets built, then Qatar will definetly benifit as a transit area.
5. The area north of Qatar such as Al Khor and Zubara will develop into tourist areas (justas the master plan of the project says)
6. The distance between Qatar and Bahrain is almost the same or less than from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, which means that people would be contantly crossing bounddaries=more revenue.

·
Banned
442 Posts
i'm not worrying @ all as weather bahrain can or can't pay it's share of the link's cost, but what's worries me is that such a project have been placed on top of the 2 countries cooperation agenda, while the cost should actually absorbed into development of both countries. period.

the outside call i'm refering to, is from the broad-minded beneovlent western "big sisterly neighbour". shhhhh, u didn't hear it from me!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
wakrah-wi-bas said:
- above all, i don't trust the bahraini governement, from previous experiences, they're un-trustworthy & un-predictable, and i bet one phone call from outside bahrain, w'd make them go back to the pre international court of justice decision's period, God forbids.

i don't mind supplying bahrain with natural gas, oil & having few investements over there, but a 3 billion $ link, is way too much. instead, i say let's go ahead with the plans of the link with uae. a7na jayeen likom ya imarat!!!

If Qatar wouldn't benefit, then it wouldn't go ahead with the project. Second, there is the proposed gulf link and the link from Bahrain - Qatar will be through the bridge.

And about not trustin the Bahraini gov., it's your government that took the whole dispute thing to court not us (on two occasions), when it should've been solved peacefully. So I wouldn't argue much about the times before the international court of justice.

Overall, this project will really benefit both countries in many ways, be it economically, socially and politically. That's it for my share in this thread. Ciao ppl.

·
Banned
442 Posts
taking the matter to ICJ was a brilliant decision by qatar. it had solved the problem once 'n' for all, instead of the past years of tensions and confrontation and mistrust between both countries. now everything was solved peacefully, and things returned to it's natural path, didn't u like that, or u wanted things to remain unstable so u can solve it in ur own 'peaceful way"?

as for the link, FYI, qatar didn't went ahead with it, as of yet. what we're witnessing now is numreous meetings of joint committees, issuing statments about how the link is important and should be built, but at the end, everybody goes home knowing that this is not going to happen, at least not in the near future. otherwise, how can u explain since the blue prints are ready, the total cost is known and agreed upon, the link's path have been chosen, but never given the green light?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
wakrah-wi-bas said:
taking the matter to ICJ was a brilliant decision by qatar. it had solved the problem once 'n' for all, instead of the past years of tensions and confrontation and mistrust between both countries. now everything was solved peacefully, and things returned to it's natural path, didn't u like that, or u wanted things to remain unstable so u can solve it in ur own 'peaceful way"?

as for the link, FYI, qatar didn't went ahead with it, as of yet. what we're witnessing now is numreous meetings of joint committees, issuing statments about how the link is important and should be built, but at the end, everybody goes home knowing that this is not going to happen, at least not in the near future. otherwise, how can u explain since the blue prints are ready, the total cost is known and agreed upon, the link's path have been chosen, but never given the green light?
I'd rather it was solved peacefully between the two cause that's a sign of trust and it didn't make things great when Qatar took the thing to the ICJ. I don't understand why the issue popped up to start off with, total waste of time and money imo. Anyways, things are great now between the two so let's look forward to the future.

·
Banned
442 Posts
we've been negotiating, looking for mediation, exchanging envoys & there's wasn't any dick, tom & harry who spared and no peace-maker who jumped behind every bush in order to find a peaceful sloution for the dispute....and all of that went into total fiasco, and have been for years & years. so w'd u kindly enlighten us of what's the 'peaceful way" to solve the problem that ur country was holding in it's hidden drawers? oh yeah, accepting the status quo and fak propositions to unification between both countries, dosen't count.

·
Registered
755 Posts
wakrah-wi-bas said:
above all, i don't trust the bahraini governement, from previous experiences, they're un-trustworthy & un-predictable
Please remind everyone here which country was it that issued phoney documents and forged papers and presented them to the court concerning Hawar. Please get your facts straight before talking.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Pearl of the Gulf said:
Please remind everyone here which country was it that issued phoney documents and forged papers and presented them to the court concerning Hawar. Please get your facts straight before talking.
Oh ya how did I forget that. Plus, you don't trust the Bahraini government, we don't trust you more, did you forget the spies that were caught or shall we remind you.

It could've been solved without goin to court again, honestly what a waste. More complex things have been solved and agreed on than this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys from what I know all these disputes have been settled and been put behind so shouldn't we be looking forward to the future and uniting as one?

Sorry, I'm really being careful with what I'm saying, I don't want to offend anyone and neither am I taking sides but this thread was meant to be about a 'bridge' between Qatar and Bahrain.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
meena said:
Guys from what I know all these disputes have been settled and been put behind so shouldn't we be looking forward to the future and uniting as one?

Sorry, I'm really being careful with what I'm saying, I don't want to offend anyone and neither am I taking sides but this thread was meant to be about a 'bridge' between Qatar and Bahrain.
It was until, well scroll up and see.

To be honest, there are many deviations in so many threads that I'll probably change my tolerance policy, I mean threads don't stick to the titles.

·
Registered
701 Posts
U/C: Qatar-Bahrain "Friendship" Causeway ($2.7bn)

Well guys decided to open this thread in Qatar Forum aswell since it is a joint project between two governments. All the info on SSC has so far been coming from Bahrain media so maybe we can see more of the Qatari info here :)

Here is the thread in Bahrain Forum:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=155039

And here is the latest on this:

$500 million company on the way
Gulf Daily News

MANAMA: A $500 million (BD189m) company may be formed within the next few weeks to build and raise money for the Bahrain-Qatar Friendship Causeway, Works and Housing Minister Fahmi Al Jowder said yesterday.

The start-up capital will be split equally between the governments of Bahrain and Qatar and the remaining financing will come from the private sector.

Mr Al Jowder said that over $2.7 billion (BD1.02bn) would be needed to build the 40km causeway, including associated infrastructure. "The initial signing ceremony is expected to be held in Bahrain shortly with work beginning immediately afterwards."

"Studies have already been completed and approved."

Mr Al Jowder was speaking at the Bahrain American Chamber of Commerce meeting at the Gulf Hotel yesterday.

Private role in housing - Page 3

1 - 20 of 272 Posts