SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Que puedo decir?
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Qatari National Landmark

This structure is designed to provide an identifiable landmark for this emerging Middle Eastern nation. Recognizing the local culture, regional traditions and the importance of symbols in this vibrant society, the form of the structure reflects several of the nation’s highly adored symbols. Through this interweaving of symbols and architecture, the landmark will be recognizable throughout the world and act as a destination that orients the city’s residents and visitors.

http://built-form.net/work/mixed-use/qatari-landmark/index.html

·
Que puedo decir?
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now we know what will happen with the small island :)

·
doha rulz...
988 Posts
doha badly needs a landmark.. not so sure abt dis one.. i dint like it either..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hope they change this proposed design. I just think it is too simple & too stupid to be called an icon.. We need something more innovative. I'm still amazed when I see the design of Kuwait towers. It has been there for so long & the design is very strong & powerful. We want something at least as good or better. These two horns-looking structures remind me of the picture seen at the tail of a 50 dirhams.
It looks boring anyhow & it cannot be improved. We should think out of the box & bring something with no influence from somewhere else. The towers or structures built all over the world, which later were recognised as a national icon, do not relate or represent the culture of a country. Look at Eiffel tower; does it represent the French past? Statue of Liberty: it was brought to the U.S. from France while a statue of a burger would pretty much fit in perfectly. Kuwaiti towers: arabesque was not even a small component in the design. Burj Al-Arab: nothing Arabic in its exterior. Burj Al-Mamlaka: it has no resembelence to a burqa. While in Qatar, everything has to relate to the culture, I'm sick of it. We have so much pride in the Qatari & Islamic architecture as if we have seen a lot of those in the country 200 years ago. We live in a new state & we deserve something totally modern & unique. Well, that's my opinion anyways..

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
I seriously dont know why people dont like this design! I think its very modern, and has traditional elements to it! Its curvy, stainless steel, and rises from a landscaped island and podium! Seriously, its a work of art! It looks like two Oryx horns in the middle of the sea!

·
Que puedo decir?
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^ you are right
And I think the restaurant up there is lovely, but isnt it a bit small or something

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
^^ you are right
And I think the restaurant up there is lovely, but isnt it a bit small or something
Perhaps it looks small because the structure is a tall thin column-like shape, but it reality might actually be rightly sized just like the one in Toronto (CN Tower) or Kuwait Towers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Perhaps it looks small because the structure is a tall thin column-like shape, but it reality might actually be rightly sized just like the one in Toronto (CN Tower) or Kuwait Towers.
I think it's aweful, I'm sorry. To be honest, I don't think this is an actual design; it is just a proposal. You cannot make something like this in the real world. Let's be more realistic people. I mean how come a tunnel is going to be built under water which is supposedly going to be a walking pathway to the island. This is insane! The tunnel is going to create transportation problems for ferries & boats crossing this side of the Corniche. Another thing which makes the whole proposal looks so weird is this satan-horn structure. How would they fit an elevator inside it while it's bent!!! I want some common sense eveybody! Alright let's forget this! Imagine yourself taking that long trip up on the elevator to the "restaurant", wouldn't you be pissed off just missing the chance to see the panoramic view of Doha from the elevator & wishing you had that thing all covered with glass or something? Seriosuly guys be critical when looking at such designs; this building is not practical at all. How many elevators are going to implemented inside this "tower"? 1 for each horn? 2 elevators for one small thing called a "restaurant"? How do you know it's a "restaurant", maybe it's an indian cafetería selling keema & karak :lol: .. Sorry if I was harsh, I just wanted to open your eyes to make you distinguish between what's reality & what's 3D :cheers:

take care!

·
Registered
87 Posts

lol, just to prove to you that the architect doesn't know what he's doing, look at the commnet he/she made on the drawing. He/she basically pointed at the base and said "elevator system to top" .. "SYSTEM" hmmmmmmmm. Well, he should have called it "an up/down random elevator" or anything because it doesn't look to me as if it's actually going anywhere. It's stuck on the base .The architect wanted the structure to be bent cuz he/she smoked some weed before making the sketches & lost the common sense. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Que puedo decir?
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

lol, just to prove to you that the architect doesn't know what he's doing, look at the commnet he/she made on the drawing. He/she basically pointed at the base and said "elevator system to top" .. "SYSTEM" hmmmmmmmm. Well, he should have called it "an up/down random elevator" or anything because it doesn't look to me as if it's actually going anywhere. It's stuck on the base .The architect wanted the structure to be bent cuz he/she smoked some weed before making the sketches & lost the common sense. :lol::lol::lol:
What are you talking about?
Maybe there are new systems out there to go thru a bended shaped wall in an elevator. We are having zig zag towers, rotating tower, so why not having a new idea of having a not-straight elevator?

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
What are you talking about?
Maybe there are new systems out there to go thru a bended shaped wall in an elevator. We are having zig zag towers, rotating tower, so why not having a new idea of having a not-straight elevator?
LoooL yaa the elevators could be bent or could be positioned in a way that they are in the "straight part" of the curve inside. (like stabbing a banana with a pencil) sort of say. :banana::banana::banana: (lool)

As for the Keema and chapati place, I would totally support it! 5a6ry fee Keema and Chapati!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts