Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Qingdao, 青岛, well-known to the West by its Postal map spelling Tsingtao, is a sub-provincial city in eastern Shandong province, People's Republic of China. It borders Yantai to the northeast, Weifang to the west and Rizhao to the southwest. Lying across the Shandong Peninsula while looking out to the Yellow Sea, Qingdao today is a major seaport, naval base, and industrial center. It is also the site of the Tsingtao Brewery. The character 青 (qīng) in Chinese means "green" or "lush," while the character 岛 (dǎo) means "island." It was recently named China's 9th-most livable city by China Daily. (wikipedia)

Please view the mainland construction discussion here!

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John said:
Elswhere in the world it would be called a "giant" project, in China it's just an ordinary one, just as hundreds of others I suppose :|
Yeah, you can find a couple of thousand other chinese projects as this. This project is even quite unknown in the chinese world, and outside world, didn't find anything about it till i found the architect.

·
Faith of the Heart
2,407 Posts
There's already a small amusement park near that place, and it's always empty, and from the looks of it, it's bankrupt. Though reasons aren't clear, my guess is that it is because it's too far from the major urban areas.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cydevil said:
There's already a small amusement park near that place, and it's always empty, and from the looks of it, it's bankrupt. Though reasons aren't clear, my guess is that it is because it's too far from the major urban areas.
ok, hope that these areas becomes more attractive then. How far away from downtown is this location?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hola!

The Chinese will make it ugly and when it opens it will have lots of garbage and greedy vendors. The building itself will be cheaply built and will look like crap from the pollution in three to five years.

I know, I live in China.

Senor

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
senor boogie woogie said:
Hola!

The Chinese will make it ugly and when it opens it will have lots of garbage and greedy vendors. The building itself will be cheaply built and will look like crap from the pollution in three to five years.

I know, I live in China.

Senor
Wow... that's a bit negative of a thing to say... especially when it hasn't even been built yet... well... wut can i say? You say you live in China and I don't.

By the way, I'd have to disagree with you when you say its going to look bad from all the pollution. I think Qingdao's going through a building boom and will try to improve the city's image- especially with some of the 2008 Olympic events going on there...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh dude u r nearly 40 years old lol sorry to mention that.
Chinese cities will get cleaner when those urban peasants convert to real citizens(due to rapid urbanization). In fact, I do find foreigners(esp. Americans) have worse sanitary customs.

·
Faith of the Heart
2,407 Posts
senor boogie woogie said:
Hola!

I know, I live in China.

Senor
The building is being built in an area surrounded by luxrious residential areas. And those residential areas are very clean, as the new building will be, I assure you. Qingdao is a relatively clean city compared to the other cities in China, and the new downtown is surprisingly modern. Also, there are many convinient stores so you don't have to deal with private vendors that rip off foreigners.

Edit: Oops.. I thought this post was on the new operahouse in Qingdao. But the resort will also be in the same stretch of luxrious suburban houses as the operahouse, and I doubt it will be "filled with garbage and pollution" as you say.

1 - 20 of 541 Posts