SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Church Street development is between Ann Street and Wickham Street at the termination of James Street.

This precinct is a mixed use development primarily comprising residential but including commercial, gym, recreational facilities with cafes, retail and restaurants.

20 levels of residential down to 3 levels along Ann Street with 2 levels along
Church Street.

To structural tip it's 76.6m, with the main entrance off Ann street (lower ground) at 4.5m, thus 72.1m tall.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^
no, this one has some trees, carpark, apartments and locksmith on it (at least from Ann Street). Perhaps you're refering to one Laing O'Rourke bought on McLachlan Street that has a Ford Dealership on it?

·
Regular User
970 Posts
That is just perfect for that area. Perfectly positioned.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
This is a really, really nice little development in my opinion. If it looks like I think it should look based on those renders, I'm 100% behind it.

I'm noticing a possible emerging theme in some new developments - greenery on the outside of the building. I REALLY like this trend.

Great location.

·
New Urbanist
5,536 Posts
Church Street Tower, Fortitude Valley
Thursday, 16 July 2009 | Brisbanedevelopment.com

DA SUBMITTED: Leighton Properties, the developer of Brisbane’s 400 George St project has submitted an application to build a mixed use tower approximately 20 storeys (72m) high located between Ann Street and Wickham Street at the termination of James Street, Fortitude Valley. The tower is designed by architectural firm COX Raynor and is in association with the Brisbane Housing Company, an organisation which provides people with appropriate, secure and affordable housing.

The mixed use tower will have a residential, office, community and retail component compromising restaurants, bars and cafes. Numerous ‘sky gardens’ will link the ground levels with the residential recreational level on the 19th floor. The lower 4 storeys of the tower are configured to become serviced apartments or a boutique hotel. Existing trees will create a canopy for street level restaurants and coffee shops which will see the James’ street retail environment expanded.

Church Street is in the heart of the emerging lower entertainment district of the Fortitude Valley and has been sculptured around Brisbane City Council’s “Valley Vision”. The New Draft Neighborhood Plan involves the revitalization of Fortitude Valley. Church Street will also be seen as a catalyst project that forms the northern gateway arrival point to the Valley’s heart.

A precast and insitu concrete frame with will wrap around the tower, creates a strong definition for the glass and aluminum-framed apartment edges. Leighton Properties has shown this in the recently completed Green Square development. However at the podium levels, timber and dark coated steel form structures relate to the treescape, as well as support the vertical landscape and roof gardens.

No word on when this is to be given approval, however given that the proposal fits right into the BCC’s planning guidelines, approval would be expected soon.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Beautiful building! Start construction. LOL at the bloke with the red shirt in the 2nd render who has 2 shadows!!:lol:

·
Registered
763 Posts
What a really great development! Thanks for the info Orfeo and SoulvisionQ1.

Wondering if anyone knows if this building is going for Green Star rating? Or if it has any other sustainable design features? I went through the application documents, so if it's there, I missed it...

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Wow! This will be a nice development and will fill the void that currently exists there. The Valley is booming at the moment. I love the greenery and open spaces at the bottom though the tower looks a little "London Council Flat" to me.

J

·
25,957 Posts
^^It is mostly affordable housing, however I never got that impression. I actually finally thought...wow, finally some affordable housing that doesn't look cheap.

·
Registered
794 Posts
^^^^ I agree with that. Another brilliant development for the area, and continues the tower canyon that is building up in this area. Not that that's a bad thing, all these new towers are quality.

All I'm concerned about with this one is that they don't touch the established trees on the footpath.

Other than that, adds well to the area, and this along with HQ just up the road, and the Waterloo development, will stop Green Square from being a tall poppy all on it's lonesome.

Does anyone know if the tower above the Valley Train Station is going ahead?

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
Hmm the planter boxes may be an issue in X years time. Has anyone seen the state of the ones at the Hilton? OMG!

I had a lovely view of the city. The weeds growing outside my window reminded me I was in the Brisbane Hilton.

1 - 20 of 333 Posts