SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
why monorail and not light train?
Because it was started under the government of Ahmadinejad, when Iran was ruled by a very back-warded class of politicians following progress ideals of the 1950ies (like nuclear energy).

Monorail is an obsolete technology for public transport except for fun parks, airports and shopping centers. To some extent they wanted to turn Qom to an Islamic entertainment park. So the monorail fits into this image.

If you see the ruins of Jamkaran - a giant religious worshiping complex east of Qom which has been abandoned before it had been finished you can easily understand what went on in the mind of these people.

The system will be very expensive in operation and inflexible. Most of all it is a proprietary system, no way to access the open marked for new rolling stock. Switches are rather complicate to realize and should not be used in normal passenger operation. So no trains that can run partial sections of the line during low demand hours, no expansion of the network with trains changing over to other lines.

Yet it has to be finished. A similar system is under construction in Kermanshah.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks Badgir. Well put.

Yet another decision AMJ managed to get wrong, though he must have been heavily pushed I would say. Its just such a waste of money. I think the main reason to go for monorail was as you say to try and compete with the Gulf developments at the time.
It was showy, they could feel Qom was being kept in the race etc etc.

Funny thing though, the more or less straight routes chosen actually made sense; so they must have done a fairly robust study at some stage!!

I actually think trams would have worked brilliantly in both, anything I am missing Badgir?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi mmr

It's one thing to be totally ignorant of the facts, but to share that ignorance is really disheartening.
Intrigued why you say that. I know monorails do provide a useful solution in specific situations and can look fantastic. However in the two case in Iran, the design and type chosen, even I would bet to the final colours, don't look encouraging. In Qom, the route is ideal in terms of how straight it is and the space available for the stations etc at minimum cost physical and financial.

However it also cuts into the only possible major street the city had that you could envisage as grand, even majestic in the future. Then there is the insane fact that you can't run trains partway. This is so wasteful here, just 4 out of all stations really need frequent service. And they need it almost back to back!!! How will cramped trains every half hour help here? You don't even save much in terms of traffic congestion as there aren't any major traffic lights along the path. Then there is upkeep issues both with trains and the track that can easyly turn it into an eyesore.

I know monorails can look amazing. Even older ones in Germany look great today. But Qom ESP is not the city to take a gamble on this for the first major system in Iran. If only to avoid bad PR that would spell the end of any future use for a generation or two. Trams in Iran went the same way because of Tehran's push to introduce them and the barrage of accidents after. Only now they are seen in a favourable light.

BTW would be amazing to have one from Tehran to Karaj, as it would fit the needs and the look there and you could go hyper futuristic as usage would justify it?

·
Registered
727 Posts
It's one thing to be totally ignorant of the facts, but to share that ignorance is really disheartening.
While I understand why you are lobbying for monorails (http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/Officer.html) I do not want to change my basic statement: monorail is mostly an obsolete technology. And most of all, it does not fit at all to Iran's cities.

When it comes to old city centers (Qom has one, although it has been largely compromised - have you ever been there?), monorail is hardly an element to improve the city skyline. It rather destroys it. US urban design may be inspired by Walt Disney - Iran's old city's shape by a culture of several thousand years of history.

Thanks Badgir. Well put.
I actually think trams would have worked brilliantly in both, anything I am missing Badgir?
Most likely. Unfortunately Iran has not (yet) developed a domestic tram industry (like Turkey did) while there are at least 10 medium cities in Iran who could solve their public transit problems with trams.

BTW would be amazing to have one from Tehran to Karaj, as it would fit the needs and the look there and you could go hyper futuristic as usage would justify it?
Can't get your point. Tehran-Karaj (42 km) has a modern commuter railway with double deck trains. In rush hours some trains could perform the line without intermediate stops with all stations having 4 tracks (2 side tracks with platforms and direct tracks in the center without).

Every train has a transportation capacity of 1872 passengers (234 per car), which means more than 22.000 pph and direction at a commercial speed of 48 km/h (i.e. including stops - maximum speed is 120 km/h). I wonder if a monorail could reach any similar capacity or commercial speed. And of course, forget about direct trains in a monorail system.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi @Badgir.

re trams. It would be so much more of a fit in cities like Ardebil, Rasht, even parts of Shiraz, Esfehan and Tehran. Fingers crossed!! It makes sense financially too. The only drawback is the 'erratic' driving practices in Iran that makes accidents very common with trams unfortunately. It is a significant problem though, because they cant swerve to avoid happy wheeling cars.

But here is hoping the trams actually change that too!! but....

re Monorails, The Tehran - Karaj connection is more to do with fit, ie look of the trains against location. I don't think the look suits Qom at all, but on aesthetics and frequency of use, Karaj - Tehran is the only route that comes to my mind that actually fits.

Qom is such a schizoid city now anyway. It could have developed on a more traditional city-wide outlook as well. Its dominated by the Islamic studies and clerics, I hope I am correct in saying that, so could have actually been a feature to reflect. Now if looks like there are two or three competing factions, trying to make the city and how it looks, an extension of their politic. Shame.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
this little basiji ahmadinejad was a supporter of this useless monorail
this moron even started to build it in tehran without any studies
thank giod this monkey had no influence in tehran and his ass got kicked by ghalibaf

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi Mistermonorail.

I was looking forward to hearing your perspective on the suitability of monorail to Qom in particular. Kermanshah is on hold (Is it? I am not 100% on this?) I guess so its a moot point. I really love the idea of monorails, so I am asking to learn. My beef is on whether it fits Qom at all; plus the likelihood of avoiding the whole system ending up as an eyesore for decades through lack of upkeep.

For a totally reason, it would be amazing to find out more on the commissioning history of the system. What sort of planning process did they go through? Was there any consultation or studies done at all? You might have had contact with the officials even at the time which would be an absolute boon?? For me to get any insight into this would help more as points of reference for future public works. Public esp locals need to be involved in such decisions and we all try to inform to make that possible.

BTW I have already done the usual searches, checked archives of the universities and relevant NGOs. So far I have drawn a blank on anything substantial at all. Just announcements of the tenders. Iran is usually quite good at commissioning studies when it comes to most major public policies and works, whether ultimately implemented or not.

Doubly important with this is the location ie Qom. The city is also the seat of the 'Theocracy' in Iran.The factions are not very happy go lucky and tend to take it out on the locals in the shape of petulant local governance. So which faction gets to commission or cancel projects is a big clue to their strength.
That is really important on many levels right now esp what it could say on the make up of the council deciding the successor to the present leader.

Thanks again but no worries if the only information is your own perspective alone. Appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So sorry, but my information sourcing from Qom is extremely limited! I have communicated off and on with the train manufacturers, but not with anyone at the project site. That's one of the reasons I'm here, skyscrapercity is a great source for so many projects!

I understand the arguments going on in Qom, they are similar to elevated rail controversies all over the world. There is a perception that ALL elevated rail is ugly, sadly including the minimalist tracks of monorail and their quiet trains. Why the project seems stalled at this point is unknown to me. Iran has had troubles finishing big projects, most notably monorail (Kermanshah, as you mentioned, and Tehran Monorail). The problem of not finishing is not exclusive to Iran, all types of construction projects stall for a variety of reasons. My quarter century of following monorail news closely has shown politics to be the number one killer of monorails. Occasionally a gem will make it through the process however (as my new Daegu Monorail YouTube videos show).

It would be a shame if Qom didn't get the project open, considering the investment they've made already. We shall see.

Hi Mistermonorail.

I was looking forward to hearing your perspective on the suitability of monorail to Qom in particular. Kermanshah is on hold (Is it? I am not 100% on this?) I guess so its a moot point. I really love the idea of monorails, so I am asking to learn. My beef is on whether it fits Qom at all; plus the likelihood of avoiding the whole system ending up as an eyesore for decades through lack of upkeep.

For a totally reason, it would be amazing to find out more on the commissioning history of the system. What sort of planning process did they go through? Was there any consultation or studies done at all? You might have had contact with the officials even at the time which would be an absolute boon?? For me to get any insight into this would help more as points of reference for future public works. Public esp locals need to be involved in such decisions and we all try to inform to make that possible.

BTW I have already done the usual searches, checked archives of the universities and relevant NGOs. So far I have drawn a blank on anything substantial at all. Just announcements of the tenders. Iran is usually quite good at commissioning studies when it comes to most major public policies and works, whether ultimately implemented or not.

Doubly important with this is the location ie Qom. The city is also the seat of the 'Theocracy' in Iran.The factions are not very happy go lucky and tend to take it out on the locals in the shape of petulant local governance. So which faction gets to commission or cancel projects is a big clue to their strength.
That is really important on many levels right now esp what it could say on the make up of the council deciding the successor to the present leader.

Thanks again but no worries if the only information is your own perspective alone. Appreciated.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So sorry, but my information sourcing from Qom is extremely limited! I have communicated off and on with the train manufacturers, but not with anyone at the project site. That's one of the reasons I'm here, skyscrapercity is a great source for so many projects!
Hi Mistermonorail. Thanks for getting back to me. I am sorry to reply so late but I was away with work for a few days. No worries. I just wanted to know how the ordering was done and if they found working with the Qom authorities OK or not. Hayho good news it seems Kermanshah is going on as well Qom, there are updates on threads I saw earlier.

Cheers for now. If you get any nuggets of information from your contacts, I would be grateful if you could let me know. I am doing a piece on business practices in I Iran and it would be a great help to include transport as well; without naming any projects that could identify the source of course.

·
PersianGulf4Ever
2,393 Posts
بودجه قم امسال به 2100 میلیارد تومان رسیده درحالیکه شیراز و تبریز و اصفهان حدود 2500 تا 2800 میلیارد تومان بستن برای سال آینده، نمیدونم این همه اصرار برای توسعه شهری که هیچ جاذبیت و استعدادی نداره برای چی هست! قبلا ساخت دریاچه در دل کویر و حالا ....

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Absolutely

What is funny is that wise people/civilized groups show off with better services , universities , life quality etc
These guys fight over who is the most ancient and ruthless , who gives the least amount of rights and equality and who has the largest gallows

Funny and sad world we live in

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
بودجه قم امسال به 2100 میلیارد تومان رسیده درحالیکه شیراز و تبریز و اصفهان حدود 2500 تا 2800 میلیارد تومان بستن برای سال آینده، نمیدونم این همه اصرار برای توسعه شهری که هیچ جاذبیت و استعدادی نداره برای چی هست! قبلا ساخت دریاچه در دل کویر و حالا ....
Seriously???? Damn thats messed up
Btw, the rest of east azerbaijan province got 100b. A joke number. Then they worry about migrations to the center.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts