Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060506.HARPER06/TPStory/National

RHÉAL SÉGUIN
QUEBEC -- Quebec may not be a nation in the eyes of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, but the province's "specificity" and "unique personality" give it the right to a formal voice at the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization.

Yesterday, Mr. Harper and Premier Jean Charest signed an agreement that will give Quebec official representation in the Canadian delegation at UNESCO.

Quebec will be the only province with a "formal" voice at the UN body. Mr. Harper said he does not exclude the possibility of allowing other provinces a voice in other international forums. As if to prevent charges of pandering to Quebec, Mr. Harper insisted his government deals equally with all provinces.

"Federalism of openness does not mean playing favourites or stirring up jealousies, but it does mean that the time has come to forge a new relationship with the provinces," Mr. Harper said yesterday during the formal signing ceremony at the Quebec National Assembly.

The agreement symbolized the harmonious relationship Mr. Harper and Mr. Charest have developed since the Conservatives took office last February in an attempt to isolate the separatists with what Mr. Harper has called his "open federalism."

"This historic agreement represents neither centralization nor separation but an arrangement that symbolizes our vision of a strong, flexible Canadian federation," Mr. Harper said, adding that the agreement will bolster national unity.

Mr. Charest argued that the agreement is as much about provinces playing a more important role in the federation as it is about Quebec gaining a voice at UNESCO.

Mr. Harper is the first prime minister since Brian Mulroney to participate in a formal ceremony at the National Assembly. The UNESCO agreement was in keeping with a Conservative election promise and follows a federal budget that is committed to settling another of Quebec's demands, the fiscal imbalance, which has become a major irritant between Ottawa and Ontario.

Mr. Harper said Quebec's participation in the Canadian delegation at UNESCO is not a step toward a new round of constitutional talks nor is it recognition of Quebec as a nation in any form.

As a member of the Canadian delegation to UNESCO, Quebec will be allowed to express its position on issues of provincial jurisdiction, such as education and culture. In the event of a disagreement over a specific issue or treaty, the federal government's position will override Quebec's. However, the province alone will decide whether it proceeds with implementation in areas of its responsibility.

"We will be able to express our opinion at all times at UNESCO. . . .We will be able to speak freely, without any constraints," Mr. Charest said.

Mr. Harper warned that the UNESCO deal applies only if Quebec is willing to work within the federation.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
My post at SSP was better, but I figure with the level of maturity here, and the bluntness of that (It's basically what the guys at SSP said after I posted) I figured it was worth a say. :)

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,066 Posts
thats super , maybe B.C. should whine untill we get something stupid as well .
Quebec , clearly making a run for the Boarder and taking the whole province with them , screw taco bell eh...

·
Registered
617 Posts
So I dont get it...either you are a country or not? Québec is part of Canada, and should stay as such, therefore, should be reperesented at international events as CANADA, nothing else to say here :cheers:

....I guess you could say I am not part of the "Mouvement Séparatiste" :)

·
The Mighty.
3,196 Posts
Hmm... what nation is this I keep hearing about?
A Quebec nation?
There is no such nation and to speak of one is treason.

:)

Canada is a good country, Canada will stay a good country.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
'Canada is a good country, Canada will stay a good country.'

'Oh.. let's just turn our heads.. it'll go away..'

·
Registered
617 Posts
^^Exactly :cheers:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oaronuviss said:
Hmm... what nation is this I keep hearing about?
A Quebec nation?
There is no such nation and to speak of one is treason.

:)

Canada is a good country, Canada will stay a good country.

Canada is made up of many nations, to deny that is somewhat treasonous. lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
What gets me the most is that he has the balls to say "Pact will bolster national unity" with a straight face.

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
This doesn't sound like a big deal to me. I would hope other provinces get similar treatment in the future. So perhaps BC would get a voice at the World Forestry Organization, or Alberta at the World Oil Organization (?)... :) Seriously, this sounds like what the Harper government is getting at. If that doesn't happen, then I'd get pissed. Time will tell.

·
The Mighty.
3,196 Posts
vid said:
'Canada is a good country, Canada will stay a good country.'

'Oh.. let's just turn our heads.. it'll go away..'
Turn our heads to what? :weird:

Seperatists don't even make up the majority of Quebec, hence their say means nothing.
:cheers:

It's unfortuneate for them, but that's the way it goes in a democracy.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
If Northern Ontario seperates from Ontario all we'll have is 7.5 billion dollars in trees, iron, nickel, copper, palladium, platinum, silver, gold, diamonds, peat, possibly oil, water, and the cheapest electricity on Earth. :(

We'll be nothing. :cry:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts