SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Like an aged wine
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Trade Street

Ritz Carlton with new BofA offices behind it. The development is LEED gold certified.

Buckhead Saloon: Must…Copy…Atlanta…

The base of the new BofA tower.

Looking up.

Another parking lot to fill

This church was very cut off from all street interaction and had a private driveway in front of it. It was all walled in.

See above.

Carillon’s public art.

This building is actually new.

More ugly art.

The Vue, very tall residential.

Infill in the 4th ward near Vue.

What the hell is this?

Speaking of modern. Modern mixed very well with old.

Back on N. Tryon

Garage near Time Warner Center

Sky gardens in the new BofA building

Now on to the suburbs:

Taco Mac!

Now on to Lynx/TODs:

Notice how far away Duke Energy Center/Wells area is from the BofA cluster.

The end. Sunset from Greenville, SC highway.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thanks for the tour(s). It's the best photo threads I've seen of Charlotte and I felt like I was on the street walking with you. I agree with the art...most of it is unattractive and takes away from what is there. It is overkill.

·
Uptown Bound
1,198 Posts
Great photos! The following photo is UNC Charlotte's uptown campus under construction:

This is what it will look like when completed:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Brilliant thread with excellent photos! You did a fantastic job, especially for someone not from here. I will say, you add a lot of negative comments, to positive things. There is some really great art uptown, however, there is some odd art as well. I wish we had a lot more traditional art, then the modern. You missed a picture of the Firebird, which is down on the Wachovia Campus. Also, Duke Energy is not far removed from the rest of downtown, at all. It is one block from the Wachovia Campus. Did you get to see Duke Energy at night? Truly Spectacular. SouthPark is not suburban, and nor is it "Buckhead". In fact, most of the Charlotte comparisons with Atlanta, come from people who aren't from Charlotte. As a native, we know we aren't as big as Atlanta. We also know that SouthPark is not Buckhead. However, SouthPark has the best selection of Shopping between Atlanta and D.C. The development was also never to "copy" Atlanta either. Infact, Charlotte never wanted to be Atlanta, when it came to development.The stupid comparisons are generally made by people, not from Charlotte.
You made some valid points. Charlotte is an old city. It did however, tear down much of the old city, to create this new modern/southern city. It works for Charlotte. People that visit Charlotte, don't need to come hoping to find all the old southern architecture, and culture(even though it is there in places). You find most of that in Charlotte's suburbs. Thank God you didn't make it to Ballantyne. That is a truly embarrassing example of southern sprawl.
Again, love your two threads. The perspective of your shots were fantastic..You need to come back and take more!

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
nice collection. i like the modern beside the old.

-

·
Registered
710 Posts
Awesome photo tour!

I actually prefer modern skyscrapers and skylines than skylines that are dominated by old brick buildings and "grit". I like the suburbs but not 500 of them and not where it starts becoming it's own city with a huge skyline... I love South Park!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I'm not sure Charlotte was copying Atlanta with Buckhead Saloon. If so, then so were Philly, Pittsburgh, and Raleigh (at least until rather recently) as they all have Buckhead Saloons.

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
Brilliant thread with excellent photos! You did a fantastic job, especially for someone not from here. I will say, you add a lot of negative comments, to positive things. There is some really great art uptown, however, there is some odd art as well.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts