1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Name: Queens Garden Hotel
Use: Hotel
Floors: 23F in Existing Tower & 14F in New Extension
History: The existing 23F tower was built in 1976 and opened as Constantia Gardens Hotel, which contained 356 rooms and was graded four stars. The hotel was subsequently taken over by Protea Hotels and renamed Protea Gardens Hotel. Because of inner city decay and crime, in the early 1990's the hotel was downsized to 211 rooms and was dumped by Protea in the late 1990's. In 2002, the hotel was renamed the Pereton Hotel but was ungraded as it had become rundown. In 2008 Katota Investment Holdings, which is owned by a Ghanian-born entrepreneur based in Johannesburg, took over the property and renamed it the Queens Garden Hotel and announced a major makeover of the existing hotel tower and plans to add 400 rooms in a new extension to capitalise on the 2010 World Cup. His plan if it comes to fruition would undoubtedly create the biggest hotel in South Africa with 756 rooms.

Queens Garden Hotel, Berea, JHB
Refurbishment and extension of hotel

Project Brief: Bring the existing building to a modern standard, and build an extension to accommodate 400 extra rooms.

Core Concept: Create a landmark to attract guests to the hotel as well as to uplift a formerly neglected part of town. Transform the façade of the building into a focal point for the street that would flow into the new extension.

Project details
Project: refurbishment and extension of hotel
Client: Psimeco Esi pty (Ltd)
Address: O’Reilly and Tudhope Street, Berea, JHB
Land: 9481 m2
Building: 14 storeys
Number of rooms: 356 hotel rooms

·
the luf
791 Posts
Good to see investment happening in Berea - but is it really a sutible location for a hotel and over 700 rooms?

I think ill wait until i see renovations happening.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to see investment happening in Berea - but is it really a sutible location for a hotel and over 700 rooms?

I think ill wait until i see renovations happening.
Good point. What is happening to the Carlton Hotel and the Johannesburg Sun which I heard could be reopened in 2010?

·
the luf
791 Posts
Good point. What is happening to the Carlton Hotel and the Johannesburg Sun which I heard could be reopened in 2010?
I think that was just a pipe dream, a hope. But someone PLEASE prove me wrong. I know economically speaking it would pay to reopen them but they would make a huge impact in bringing tourists and visitors to the CBD.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
I think that was just a pipe dream, a hope.
I fully agree, I'm dissapointed with the fact that there's not project from JDA's perspective to improve the area around Johannesburg Sun as that could be one area that can be a 24hr operational area.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Here's your answer from Neil Fraser

Are there any new plans to re-open Joburg Sun and Carlton Hotel?

As far as I know there are plans for both but I don’t think either will start before next year

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
These threads are becoming more and more like a acid-trip... it just gets more and more ridiculous... what the hell are people thinking? A 700-room hotel...in BEREA???? Who is going to stay here? The well-heeled imigrants from Zim??

Oh my word this is hilarious. :nuts:

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Ambitious, and I think a big crazy move... 700 rooms. While the Sun is empty - and in a better part of town?

Hectic

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
It's not THAT bad a part of town guys - many people live in Berea and are quite happy living there. Buildings are still kept relatively neat, and many have functioning body corporates that keep the area somewhat respectable.

It's not going to attract the well-heeled tourists who frequent Sandton, but it will attract those on a lower budget such as students/backpackers and soccer hooligans. Already Berea has a number of hotels/hostels that attract a wide range of people.

I think we ought to give it a lot more credit. Many people thought a few years ago that investing in the CBD would be crazy. And now look how it has paid off? This development is brave, but I think it will pay off for them, and will certainly have a good impact on Berea.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
^^ i understand what you saying, but 700 rooms????
yeah, they'd have to go check each room like every 3 months just to make sure it's still there... this is just beyond optimistic in my opinion. :nuts:

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Even though I have my doubts regarding the number of rooms I still believe that only time will tell. There is large number of African tourists coming into the country and they share a larger percantage of tourist visiting SA therefore these guys might have a fair share of that market (tourism market).

The voluntery CID is doing wonders for that part of the City and more property investments have been lured into Barea more than in Yeoville and Hillbrow. Once you go there then you will understand what we mean. The posetive changes taking place in Hillbrow and Yeoville will propably also have posetive impact on these and other hotels.

So all I can say is that there is high chance of success for those hotels ti sustain themselves. Personally I think more African visitors from the middle to Northern parts of Africa will feel more at home in that area more than any other part of the city.

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Unless these guys are looking to impact the conference market... Who knows. 700 is a biiiig number. Agree with tom though, berea is not that bad.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not THAT bad a part of town guys - many people live in Berea and are quite happy living there. Buildings are still kept relatively neat, and many have functioning body corporates that keep the area somewhat respectable.

It's not going to attract the well-heeled tourists who frequent Sandton, but it will attract those on a lower budget such as students/backpackers and soccer hooligans. Already Berea has a number of hotels/hostels that attract a wide range of people.

I think we ought to give it a lot more credit. Many people thought a few years ago that investing in the CBD would be crazy. And now look how it has paid off? This development is brave, but I think it will pay off for them, and will certainly have a good impact on Berea.
Sure the Queens Garden won't be a five-star hotel like in Sandton or anything near it, but certainly it would fill a niche if it were to trade as a two or three star at about R300-400 per night. I think that is what the Berea area can support rather than luxury four and five star hotels like we see in Sandton, Rosebank and Melrose.

The Johannesburg Sun on the other hand was a mistake as it was five stars but don't the city planners see that it too could reopen as a two or three star hotel or with hotel apartments targeting a budget niche.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Johannesburg Sun is still probably the saddest story in the entire CBD.... just standing there, day in and day out.... it is horrible. :(

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
As Neil said, something is definately gonna happen at Joburg Sun, so lets stay with hope. I just hope that they will also work on the surroundings but they shouldn't get rid of the guys who are selling the rustafarian products.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts